Lens Cleaning

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Web-Betty, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Hi all,

I did some searching but didn't find any specific answers so I thought I would ask. I've purchased some used lenses which are in pretty good shape, but they do appear to be dusty inside. What is the best way to solve this? I had a friend recommend sending them off to be taken apart and cleaned. Is this a viable solution? I don't want to spend a ton of money, however, I'm very leery of opening up a lens myself.

Any and all suggestions/advice are welcome.
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Is the dust visible in your photos? Is it impacting sharpness? In my experience some amount of dust is basically inevitable in lenses and it doesn't have much impact on image quality. Obviously there is a point at which a little dust becomes "too much", but it's usually much more than one would think.
  3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Take a picture of a white/grey/beige wall, and see if anything shows up in the resulting photo. If so, determine if it is small enough you can live with it. Depending on the lens, opening up may be more or less difficult. I just cleaned 2 Minoltas, adjusted for more precise infinity, and cleaned a Vivitar all in the same day. All it takes is a good set of precision screwdrivers, a low-walled bucket (to catch those tiny screws and ball bearings), and a bit of experience (or lacking that, an internet disassembly guide). What kind of lenses are they?
  4. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    There will soon be more dust on your sensor than inside that lens.

Fungus and haze are another thing entirely.

A little bit of dust inside the lens will most likely not be observable in the taken image, although you may see it appear in instances of extreme flare. Not that the dust would cause flare. Rather, you may observe the shape of the dust speck as a transparent shape within the lens flare.
  5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Unless it's affecting your images don't bother with it, as has already been said.
    One other possible way that dust can cause problems is in reducing the contrast, so a few test shots of more normal scenes would be worth while too.
    It's amazing how much dirt & scratches can be on a lens before the image becomes noticeably degraded. I believe problems with the rear elements are more problematic than the front of the lens...
  6. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Unless its a big chunk of dust on the back of the front element or the rear element, you probably wont see it. I had a speck of dust stuck to the front element of my zoom, and it was appearing in pictures. I took a Sonicare tooth brush, warpped the head in a Kimwipe and put i on the lens. Sort of like the Olympus sensor cleaner but for the lens. It took a while, but the dust eventually fell of into the lens barrel and hasnt come back since. I'm not sure if this method is entirely safe....I could see it potentially damaging the lens coating if you are overzealous, but its an option