1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens choice help really needed!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by matt_w, Aug 29, 2013.

1. matt_w

matt_w Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2013
    I am a Canon kinda guy, shoot with the 7D and 5Dii... but my 10 yo daughter was always nervous with those bodies and an L lens on board. So, just picked up a decent G5 with the 14-42 kit lens, not real hot on this lens but it takes pics.

I am considering getting her a mild tele, and it looks like I should find a 45-175 or maybe go for the 100-300... But, I am stuck on a the choice of a prime for her. I would like a faster one, maybe the 20/1.7 or Olympus 45/1.8 or Sigma 30/2.8. Are the Sigma's any good? Is the 20 to wide for a walk around lens?

She will be using it for 4H photography and general use in daily life.

I will value all opinions, this is a totally new format for me to get accustomed to.

Thanks Matt

2. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    20mm (40mm equiv) is nice, shortest I would go for portraits even though I prefer a telephoto but 40 doesn't have too much distortion. Plus it's a pancake and it's fast. Perfect for street photography.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The 20mm is a wonderful lens, sharper than the Sigma offerings, and a great walk-around lens. Some consider it slow to focus, but for most subjects it's just fine. The 100-300 is an absolutely awesome lens. It's one of my absolute favorites.

4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    If budget is an issue, I'd go with the Sigma, they're really quite good, if not 20mm Panasonic sharpness. The main issue I see with them is the larger size when you have these really tiny first party primes, but on a G-series camera they seem like a natural.

5. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    I really, really like my 20/1.7 and it always seems to find its way into my bag, though it is a little slower to focus than other lenses. I think it should be an early entry into any new mu43 kit. For a short inexpensive tele, the 45-150 is an excellent lens at a very reasonable price.

6. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    The Sigma 60mm...

That Sigma 60mm looks like a fabulous value based on several reviews. I don't see how you could go wrong with it for the price.
    Dan

7. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I say the 45/1.8. Think of it as the equivalent of an EF 85mm f/1.8 USM on your 5D. The 20/1.7 is more like the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM on your 5DmkII.

A new shooter who's a 10-year-old girl--I'd imagine she might be a little shy about shoving a camera in someone's face, and she's more likely (at first) to shoot long, rather than wide, and would be wowed by more background fuzzy. :)

It's also a tiny lens. The 20/1.7 is tiny, too, but it's got a larger diameter.

8. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    For a10-year-old, I would think the Sigma 19 and/or 30 with the Panasonic 45-150 would be an awesome beginner's kit without too much money invested if something were to get lost, dropped or stolen. Something I know would never happen with a 10-year-old at the helm (I have 9 and 11-year-old girls :biggrin:)

Plus, from reports I've seen of all those lenses, you wouldn't really be sacrificing much (if anything) in image quality.

9. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I would get the Panasonic 20mm or the 19mm sigma. These are great primes at a focal length, at least for me, that I can use almost anywhere. The panasonic 20mm is faster, sharper, and smaller but a little slower to focus. I would start with that.

I find the 45 or 60 to be too long for a prime unless you are in really wide open spaces.

10. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
  11. matt_w

matt_w Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2013
    I will look for a 20ish and the 45-150. I thought these would be the ones. No to a good price...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Mu-43 mobile app

12. psycho-squirrel

psycho-squirrel Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 17, 2012
    Vancouver Canada
    Brian
    I really like the panasonic/leica 25mm summilux prime lens. I just bought it but it is my go to prime (50mm equivalent) lens now. I do own the 45-175mm pani, it's good, but it isn't great, I might swap it for the new 14-140mm when it becomes available. Hope this helps.

13. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    A 10 year old girl would likely be much more willing to learn, less embarrassed, and smarter than a 20 year old girl. A 20 year old would want a pink point and shoot. A 10 year old, however, I would imagine, if she's sincerely interested in dad's hobby, could learn, handle, and enjoy some higher quality equipment.

I would say, without fail, get her a 28, 40, or 50mm fast prime to learn how to focus and how aperture works. They're under $50.

The Sigma 30 is a very good lens, can be had used for $130, and is sharp wide open at 2.8. Plus it's relatively pancake-ish.

No reason to get the Sigma 19 because the Pany 20 is better, but the Pany is like $350 used and the Sigma is probably only $150 or so.

For me, native primes are not worth it. Even the cheap zooms are good. 40-150 for, example, is very sharp. I like the adapted lenses at those longer lengths.

14. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Really? Torturing little kids by giving them manual lens? :p

To OP: Can I ask why you want to give your daughter a mid tele instead? With mid-tele she will have issues with blurry photos due to higher shutter speed requirement at longer focal length. For me I would rather stick between 30mm to 17mm range. Since the kids like to run around and get together so medium-wide is pretty fine, mid tele would be too long for walk around lens. (unless she is into wild life?)

Btw I lend my old camera, a GH2 + Leica 25mm 1.4 to my friend's niece (12 year old) to shoot around at one time, some of the photos he took is not bad!

like this one
    6599670447_5234e57cdf_z.
    P1000276

Attached Files:

15. Dave Reynell

Dave Reynell Guest

Matt,

No one has mentioned it here, but I'd take a look at the Olympus 17mm/2.8. It's well-priced and will give you a slightly wider (and in my opinion) more versatile angle of view than the Panny 20mm/1.7.

I have the latter, and love it but DO find it a bit "cramped" at times. The Olympus lens IS a bit more bulky than the Panasonic 20mm, but still fairly compact and beautifully built.

Dave

16. picturewow

picturewow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    The 20 1.7 is great. A prime will force her to move around, which will make her a better photographer.

17. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    20mm is the Best walk around lens in my opinion. . . .

- Cheap (given the excellent IQ and Speed)
    - Fast f1.8 for low light
    - Pancake design for jacket pocketability

The two classic 'walk around' Focal lengths are 35mm and 50mm. The Pana 20 gives a 40mm FOV that sits nicely in-between.