Lens choice help really needed!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by matt_w, Aug 29, 2013.

1. matt_w

matt_w Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2013
    I am a Canon kinda guy, shoot with the 7D and 5Dii... but my 10 yo daughter was always nervous with those bodies and an L lens on board. So, just picked up a decent G5 with the 14-42 kit lens, not real hot on this lens but it takes pics.

I am considering getting her a mild tele, and it looks like I should find a 45-175 or maybe go for the 100-300... But, I am stuck on a the choice of a prime for her. I would like a faster one, maybe the 20/1.7 or Olympus 45/1.8 or Sigma 30/2.8. Are the Sigma's any good? Is the 20 to wide for a walk around lens?

She will be using it for 4H photography and general use in daily life.

I will value all opinions, this is a totally new format for me to get accustomed to.

Thanks Matt
  2. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    20mm (40mm equiv) is nice, shortest I would go for portraits even though I prefer a telephoto but 40 doesn't have too much distortion. Plus it's a pancake and it's fast. Perfect for street photography.
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    The 20mm is a wonderful lens, sharper than the Sigma offerings, and a great walk-around lens. Some consider it slow to focus, but for most subjects it's just fine. The 100-300 is an absolutely awesome lens. It's one of my absolute favorites.
  4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    If budget is an issue, I'd go with the Sigma, they're really quite good, if not 20mm Panasonic sharpness. The main issue I see with them is the larger size when you have these really tiny first party primes, but on a G-series camera they seem like a natural.
  5. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    I really, really like my 20/1.7 and it always seems to find its way into my bag, though it is a little slower to focus than other lenses. I think it should be an early entry into any new mu43 kit. For a short inexpensive tele, the 45-150 is an excellent lens at a very reasonable price.
  6. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    The Sigma 60mm...

That Sigma 60mm looks like a fabulous value based on several reviews. I don't see how you could go wrong with it for the price.
  7. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I say the 45/1.8. Think of it as the equivalent of an EF 85mm f/1.8 USM on your 5D. The 20/1.7 is more like the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM on your 5DmkII.

A new shooter who's a 10-year-old girl--I'd imagine she might be a little shy about shoving a camera in someone's face, and she's more likely (at first) to shoot long, rather than wide, and would be wowed by more background fuzzy. :)

It's also a tiny lens. The 20/1.7 is tiny, too, but it's got a larger diameter.
  8. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    For a10-year-old, I would think the Sigma 19 and/or 30 with the Panasonic 45-150 would be an awesome beginner's kit without too much money invested if something were to get lost, dropped or stolen. Something I know would never happen with a 10-year-old at the helm (I have 9 and 11-year-old girls :biggrin:)

Plus, from reports I've seen of all those lenses, you wouldn't really be sacrificing much (if anything) in image quality.
  9. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I would get the Panasonic 20mm or the 19mm sigma. These are great primes at a focal length, at least for me, that I can use almost anywhere. The panasonic 20mm is faster, sharper, and smaller but a little slower to focus. I would start with that.

I find the 45 or 60 to be too long for a prime unless you are in really wide open spaces.
  10. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
  11. matt_w

matt_w Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2013
    I will look for a 20ish and the 45-150. I thought these would be the ones. No to a good price...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Mu-43 mobile app
  12. psycho-squirrel

psycho-squirrel Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 17, 2012
    Vancouver Canada
    I really like the panasonic/leica 25mm summilux prime lens. I just bought it but it is my go to prime (50mm equivalent) lens now. I do own the 45-175mm pani, it's good, but it isn't great, I might swap it for the new 14-140mm when it becomes available. Hope this helps.
  13. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    A 10 year old girl would likely be much more willing to learn, less embarrassed, and smarter than a 20 year old girl. A 20 year old would want a pink point and shoot. A 10 year old, however, I would imagine, if she's sincerely interested in dad's hobby, could learn, handle, and enjoy some higher quality equipment.

I would say, without fail, get her a 28, 40, or 50mm fast prime to learn how to focus and how aperture works. They're under $50.

The Sigma 30 is a very good lens, can be had used for $130, and is sharp wide open at 2.8. Plus it's relatively pancake-ish.

No reason to get the Sigma 19 because the Pany 20 is better, but the Pany is like $350 used and the Sigma is probably only $150 or so.

For me, native primes are not worth it. Even the cheap zooms are good. 40-150 for, example, is very sharp. I like the adapted lenses at those longer lengths.
  14. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Really? Torturing little kids by giving them manual lens? :p

To OP: Can I ask why you want to give your daughter a mid tele instead? With mid-tele she will have issues with blurry photos due to higher shutter speed requirement at longer focal length. For me I would rather stick between 30mm to 17mm range. Since the kids like to run around and get together so medium-wide is pretty fine, mid tele would be too long for walk around lens. (unless she is into wild life?)

Btw I lend my old camera, a GH2 + Leica 25mm 1.4 to my friend's niece (12 year old) to shoot around at one time, some of the photos he took is not bad!

like this one
  15. Dave Reynell

Dave Reynell Guest

No one has mentioned it here, but I'd take a look at the Olympus 17mm/2.8. It's well-priced and will give you a slightly wider (and in my opinion) more versatile angle of view than the Panny 20mm/1.7.

I have the latter, and love it but DO find it a bit "cramped" at times. The Olympus lens IS a bit more bulky than the Panasonic 20mm, but still fairly compact and beautifully built.

16. picturewow

picturewow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    The 20 1.7 is great. A prime will force her to move around, which will make her a better photographer.
  17. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    20mm is the Best walk around lens in my opinion. . . .

- Cheap (given the excellent IQ and Speed)
    - Fast f1.8 for low light
    - Pancake design for jacket pocketability

The two classic 'walk around' Focal lengths are 35mm and 50mm. The Pana 20 gives a 40mm FOV that sits nicely in-between.