Lens choice for Italy

BigTam

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
On trips I usually take my Billingham Hadley Small with 2 bodies (GX7 and GM5), two slow zooms (12-32 and 35-100) and two primes (15 and 42.5 1.7).

This time I want to travel lighter and am considering taking the Hadley Digital with two bodies: the GX7 with the 15 mounted, and the GM5 with the 42.5. My thinking is, if I really need wider than 15, I can either use panorama mode or shoot 2-3 shots and stitch them. I rarely shoot in the 20-30 range, and the tele is there for architectural details and maybe candid street shots.

Anyone care to comment?

Real Name
Nic
I used three zoom lenses between 9 and 150mm in Italy (Rome and Amalfi coast only). I also had 17, 25 and 45mm primes but it turned out not to be a working holiday for them. However, you know how you prefer to shoot far better than I.

Last edited:

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Would you consider a Ricoh GR? Pair that with a Panasonic body and a (longer) lens or two of your choice and it makes for a nice set. Remember, the GR's sensor is APS-C, so you get a rough equivalent of 28mm FOV with the full sensor, 35mm FOV cropped to around m4/3rd's, and 50mm FOV cropped to around a 1" sensor. Even if you skip the 1", you have a high quality camera in two focal lengths.

Happy travels,

--Ken

langdu2012

Mu-43 Regular
I used 20mm 1.7 a lot for dark churches, 45mm 1.8 for candid shots. I also used Sigma 10-20mm with D7100 as the Oly 7-14mm 2.8 wasn't available in May. Three lenses worked fine.

JoFT

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Johannes
This will work. take the 15 on the GM5. used this a lot especially in Italy. Sometimes I carry the Oly 2.0/12 with me which can help - and the 1.8/75mm as well, but than it´s enough...

When I have the "Primes only" set up I take the Elmarit f2.8/45mm Makro with me which allows me to add makro to the portfolio...

JoFT

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Johannes
As
My thinking was that the 15 has no OIS, so I'll put it on the GX7 to take advantage of the IBIS. The 35-100 has OIS, so it goes on the GM5.
As You like. The form factor of the GM5 with the 1.7/15mm is just mindblowing... Its May almost always with me combo... And low light was never a problem with this combo...

JoFT

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Johannes
I am going to Italy tomorrow, but only 2 days. Carry the Elmarit 45mm and the Summilux 15mm... and the GM5. Must work.

Starfleet

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Make sure you get a good wide angle. With narrow streets you will need it. And also a fast prime for shooting inside buildings/museums.

BigTam

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
Well, I'm in Rome now, off to Bobbio tomorrow, then on to Sirmione. Travelling with family, so no time for photography priorities. I have the 15 1,7 on my GX7, and the slow Panasonic 35-100 on my GM5.

This has worked wonderfully so far. The 15 is 80% of my shots, the odd pano included. For details and an occasional long shot the GM5 is just a quick grab away. The OIS on the 35-100 has worked well enough to give me good detail shots in really dimly lit churches. Both in my Hadley Digital.

Really happy with this combo for travel, covers most situations and no time wasted with lens swaps.

Thx for all your input!

Dave Jenkins

Mu-43 Veteran
The beautiful northwest Georgia mountains
Real Name
Dave Jenkins
Well, you're already there, so what I have to say won't matter much! But I found that a 21mm lens on a full-frame camera was not wide enough to shoot inside churches where I could not use a tripod to make stitched panoramas. If I were going back with an m4/3s camera, I would want to take a 7-14.

Latest threads

Top Bottom