Lens Caps

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by greenboy, Jun 9, 2014.

1. greenboy

greenboy Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2014
    The lens cap for the Oly MFT 75-300 is abysmal, so shallow to grip. Not especially happy about something that pretty much requires the hood needs to be removed to access it, either. Shooting on the run, it's good to have stuff that is quick, and reliable.

Anybody finding some aftermarket caps they like, not just for the 75-300 but for MFT glass in general?
  2. weeman

weeman Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 30, 2013
    I found the same with the Olympus 60 mm I have just purchased a 46 mm centre pinched lens cap in Dublin, no name; but so much handier to remove and replace especially with the hood on and fully retracted
  3. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I put center pinch caps on my 75-300 and my 40-150 just so I could remove the cap while the lens hoods were on.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. weeman

weeman Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 30, 2013
    7day shop stock them in different sizes but have 7day shop on them.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  5. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    I put the 62mm lens cap of a Nikkor 70-210 lens on my 12-40.
    It works well
  6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    After damaging my 12-40's cap, I found a 4/3 Oly cap, model LC62B, which I prefer as it has both center and edge pinch points.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    I like Olympus lens caps... I even put some on my Panasonic lenses because Olympus one are thinner.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    On some lenses I have stuck with the plastic pinch activation types, but I tend to like the metal screw on caps best. They NEVER pop off by accident and being all metal you can not break them. Downside is that they do not go on/off quickly, but I tend to remove the metal cap, put it in my pocket or bag then reverse the lens hood and leave it that way while I am carrying the camera around. Later when I am done I replace the metal screw on lens cap. I don't do a lot of lens cap off, shoot, lens cap on, lens cap off, shoot, lens cap on...
  9. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

The generic pinch caps are usually good, many also have holes for a strap loop. I used to baby my kit, but I stopped. For a while now I've just been keeping the cap off, especially when the lens hood is on, the camera can rest on the lens when in the bag. Otherwise I just drag it around with no lens cap. I do have uv/protection filters on the lenses though.

For shooting on the run I say just forget about the lens cap, it only slows you down. You can put it on when transporting the camera.