Lens cap query - quite embarrasing......

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
After losing the cap for my 40-150 2.8 Pro in a carpark in Iceland (don't ask), you would think that I am in favor of attaching them to the lens, but NO.

I can't stand all the extra crap involved. I find it a distraction and hate it. I put the cap on the lens or in a pocket, or occasionally somewhere in a carpark I am never returning to :)

I did not manage to get a replacement till Boston, so I was glad to whack a filter on it till then. On the issue of filters, I used to have one on every lens and after a session with a pro one day, i totally switched. I still have ND and Polarising filters that I occasionally use, but I don't shoot with a filter by default.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
I have also purchased a number of those lens cap clips on ebay that attached to your bag or pack strap, none ever worked.
One I have not tried as it is a bit expensive is this one from SmallRig
https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-camera-lens-cap-holder-aeh2461.html
SR1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

SR2.jpg

SR3.jpg

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
oooohhhh, that has appeal. I think I am about to buy some 72mm 3rd party caps and one of those!

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
OK, so let me get this straight -

1 - Tie ends of cord to alligator clips using heat shrink to cover knots.
2 - Clip one alligator to left ear, bring cord over head and clip second alligator to right ear.

Voila - cord holding hat on nicely :thumbup: :laugh::laugh::laugh: :whistling: :biggrin:
Not quite. One end clips onto the hat and the other clips onto your collar.
CC2A38EC-7996-486D-BDAD-76E9BF04ABF6.jpeg

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
In my youth, these of course where not for clipping alligators but instead were "roach clips". If only I knew about using it for lens caps back in the day... "No officer, that isn't a roach clip, it is my camera lens cap saver, I swear. Ignore the burnt tip."

Last edited:

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
I know there is a whole "to filter or not to filter" debate always raging just beneath the surface of every photography forum. I'm not trying to kick that nest of murder hornets. But I have to say that after reading about the thought and energy that goes in to lens caps I think the argument for protective filters is now the clubhouse leader.

I add a filter to pretty much every lens, and put the cap away for when I inevitably sell the lens. The annoyance of lens caps is honestly too much for me. If I'm shooting with lighting that I think will play hell with the filter I throw caution to the wind and go bareback.

The only lens caps I've ever liked were on older Sigma lenses. They were thick and felt high quality. Very satisfying to remove and attach. Maybe they are the same now; not sure. That seems an odd thing to enjoy, I know.

I don't really use a velcro-laden lens cap cap...

I wouldn't put my 12-100mm into the bag with the Hoya Fusion filter on it exposed. Filter still should be high quality and treated with care, and so covered by the lens cap when camera is not in use. So I don't think it is a lens cap vs. filters argument, but maybe that's just me.

My C-7070WZ uses a push-on lens cap with retaining strap, which is put onto the body rather than the actual lens itself to cover the entire lens barrel. It's easy and convenient but eventually push-on lens caps can no longer stay on because the rubber inside deteriorates. And a retaining strap is fine for camera with small body and small lens, but as body and lens gets bigger, not only is a bigger cap needed but also a longer retaining strap to not have the cap interfere with operation, so it will get ridiculous after a certain point. For my E-M1 II + 12-100mm I am happy just tossing the cap in the camera bag in the empty space left behind by the camera that is now around my neck.

Having used push-on lens caps for 15 years that are not put directly onto the actual lens, I am not used to snap-on/pinch lens caps such as 12-100mm comes with, and putting the cap on the lens still requires a bit of concentration and care, so a filter helps give me some confidence and piece of mind there too.

Steveee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Ok, gave it a first run out this afternoon during a shopping trip, lens cap thread attached around the lens: it annoyed me with the dangly stuff at first, then the thread came off the lens, then I threw the thread in a passing bin.

Failed experiment, I’m sticking with the lens cap only and I’ll have to get some cheap extras in as stock for when I lose it again!

Or start wearing caps and looking for some Velcro........

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
From a use POV, I find it generally easier to put on a slip on caps than pinch caps. I've had many times where I am trying to get the pinch cap to engage the filter threads, without rubbing the cap onto the filter glass.
But a pinch cap can be put on with the hood on, reaching down into the hood. Not possible, or harder with a slip on cap.

As @doady said, a slip on cap wears/expands. And without the spring of a pinch cap, it eventually becomes too lose to hold onto the lens, and has to be replaced.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I am a belt and braces bloke. I use both a lens cap as well as a UV or skylight filter, the filter as a lens protector, the filter/lens cap to protect the filter. I have Hoya filters on all my lenses.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
But a pinch cap can be put on with the hood on, reaching down into the hood. Not possible, or harder with a slip on cap.

You must be talking about the caps with the pinch points on the outside edge rather than "center pinch" caps like the one that comes with the 12-100mm...

1607197807124.png

Very easy to put back on with the hood deployed,

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
A quick look at my P12-60, P30Macro and P20 gives an indication the bigger (58mm) caps on Pana lenses have "center and outer pinch" caps, but 46mm have "outer pinch" caps.
So it might be a function of the size in what you get.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
I never found a lens cap keeper system that worked for me. Caps and hoods were a problem for me for a long time.

For many years when I head out for a shoot I pull all of my gear out of storage and make sure the lenses work, are clean, and have all the caps in place, with the hood reversed. When I get to my shoot I put one lens on the camera. For all the lenses, the caps go into a bag pocket and the hoods installed and then back into the bag, hood down - with a bag flap over the top of the gear.

I swap out what I want, when I want, and don’t worry about caps or hoods. This simplifies the whole process of changing lenses, and I don’t lose anything! For about the last 10 years I have not damaged any lens glass at all through this process.

Sometime shortly after the shoot my gear gets lightly cleaned and the caps and hoods go back on, and then back into storage.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I have been investigating the lenscap solutions. Magnetic solutions seem very interesting. Cases, clips and velcro. I shall be buying and using clothing with pockets.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
I have been investigating the lenscap solutions. Magnetic solutions seem very interesting. Cases, clips and velcro. I shall be buying and using clothing with pockets.
I often use my Kathmandu shirts with the vertical pocked near the buttons, a handy spot for a lens cap. When using my 100-300 I do not tether the cap as I am often pointing down and want to keep the cap out of the way

Latest threads

Top Bottom