Lens cap query - quite embarrasing......

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hmmm, my 7-14 is somewhere in the med off the coast of Africa that wasn't cheap, my 40-150 is at the bottom of a lake, learned the value of off brand replacement caps. I now need to order one for my 12-40 which went into the Okefenokee last week. Some people need more help than others:th_salute:.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I've never used those straps. They are just like using a branded camera strap.

My lens cap goes into my breast pocket. If it's not cold enough for a jacket then I'm wearing a sun shirt over short sleeves.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hmmm, my 7-14 is somewhere in the med off the coast of Africa that wasn't cheap, my 40-150 is at the bottom of a lake, learned the value of off brand replacement caps. I now need to order one for my 12-40 which went into the Okefenokee last week. Some people need more help than others:th_salute:.
Off-brand lens hoods also.
I don't loose or drop them, but the hoods tend to run into hard stuff like walls.

My students seem to have a habit of loosing lens caps and hoods.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I seem to have opened up a can of (thread?)worms, here, but yes, I’m interested!
As you can see very easy to take on and off
these are lanyard clips for security / ID passes. The triangle that attaches to the camera is where the lanyard attached to the plastic clip that goes through the hole in the card.
I purchased a dozen on ebay for next to nothing and tossed the lanyards away

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Below you get a better look at the triange bit that attached to the lanyard. I just squashed it in so it overlapped on the camera lug. More secure and neater.
I also purchased some of the little black quick release clips but did not end up using those. Took me a lot of searches to find them, think I searched for lanyard or security card straps.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Jean
I like my lens cap tied to my lens. I don't find it annoying at all, not nearly as annoying as losing the cap which, for me, is inevitable! FYI, I generally have a 72mm cap on (via step-up ring my NDs and Polarizer is 72mm)

The cost is not the issue, it's the losing the cap that annoys me. I haven't lost a cap in years ... I still get annoyed but it's not the cap!

Different strokes for different folks!

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The lens cap on my Lumix FZ82 is attached to the left hand strap anchor by its cord. A Panasonic thing. I don't like it dangling there, but have not changed it. I will keep tabs on this post.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Veteran
I saw a jacket in a country walking magazine a couple of weeks ago and I think it said it had 23 pockets and was ideal for photographers.
I "found" one of these (maybe just 12 pockets or so) from our basement where I had stored it some 3+ years ago which was the last time I had used it.

I addition to jacket, I also found
- 13€+ in loose change
- 20€ in bank notes
- 200SEK in bank notes
- Gerber multi-tool I didn't remember ever buying
- spare battery for the old digital pocket camera.
- key for our mailbox (have been using spare key for few years now)
- small led torch I have tried to find several times
- collection of unidentified buttons, M5 screws, nuts and washers which look sort of important. Not your average hardware store stuff.
- Packet of Compeed Blister.

All in all, what an interesting life I must have had back in the day. Unfortunately I don't recall any of it. And don't get me started about the old backpack I found from the same place. Products like these are designed to maximize the amount of small objects you can lose forever despite having them in your possession all the time.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I often buy used lenses from KEH and sometimes B&H and Adorama. I have noticed that when I buy a lens listed as excellent condition with little or no wear, the absolute worst looking thing is the lens cap. They are always beat to hell, even when the lens itself is pristine in every respect. From watching my own behavior with caps and reading this thread, I know why! @Holoholo55 's idea of putting the original cap away for safe keeping is a good one, I think. Center-pinch ones are better anyway.

Panolyman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Brian
But no lens caps :hmmm:

And while we're on the subject of caps, I have just lost mine.
I don't mean a lens cap; no, a flat cap, as worn on the head by us northern British folk (or trendy Southerners).
This is the best one I've had since a nice Barbour Moleskin one I had blew off on the top of Cadair Idris (mountain In Wales), rolled along like a wheel for 50 yards with me chasing after it, before it tumbled off a cliff and plunged 200 feet below into the lake. :dash2:

My new one was a fairly trendy Jeff Banks model which fitted me a like a ......cap.
I wore it last week when I was on a photo-shoot with a couple of mates and I know it was still on my head when we finished, because we discussed the best way of taking photos without the peak getting in the way. :rolleyes:

All I can say is, thank goodness I didn't have my lens cap velcro'd to it. ;)

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
My problem is that I stick it in a pocket, but I'm constantly putting it a different pocket so I have mini heart attacks checking all the wrong ones.
Been there & got the T-shirt

That is why they make T-shirts with breast-pockets!
My T-shirts rarely have any pockets, certainly the lens cap one doesn't :(

I've found the best solution is to order at least half a dozen for each size I have. That way I can find another after one has gone into a mystery pocket. Several months later when looking for something else the misplaced caps will usual turn up. (Usually in the first pocket I looked in) :cautious:

The system works reasonably well for 37mm, 49mm, 52mm & 58mm caps which are my most popular sizes.
It's less effective for the 25mm, 27mm, 35.5mm, 40mm, 40.5mm, 43mm, 46mm, 55mm, 62mm, 67mm, 69mm, 72mm, 77mm, 82mm, 86mm, & 95mm sizes I also have lenses in! (some of which live with a stepping ring to the next 'standard size' permanently fixed).

My retractable Industar 50 came with a push on cap (no filter threads) The only replacement caps I've found for this are Leica branded & cost far more than the lens. When I misplace the cap for this frequently used lens I just leave it without a cap till I eventually find it again. It's prone to slipping under the dividers in my camera bag but seems to move up or sideways as often as it moves down.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
But no lens caps :hmmm:

And while we're on the subject of caps, I have just lost mine.
I don't mean a lens cap; no, a flat cap, as worn on the head by us northern British folk (or trendy Southerners).
This is the best one I've had since a nice Barbour Moleskin one I had blew off on the top of Cadair Idris (mountain In Wales), rolled along like a wheel for 50 yards with me chasing after it, before it tumbled off a cliff and plunged 200 feet below into the lake. :dash2:

My new one was a fairly trendy Jeff Banks model which fitted me a like a ......cap.
I wore it last week when I was on a photo-shoot with a couple of mates and I know it was still on my head when we finished, because we discussed the best way of taking photos without the peak getting in the way. :rolleyes:

All I can say is, thank goodness I didn't have my lens cap velcro'd to it. ;)
Being a southerner (& definitely not trendy) I'm not allowed to wear a flat cap.
I do have a number of baseball caps either issued as part of my trackside testing uniform or given away at motorsports events.

If you're going to wear a nice moleskin cap you ought to consider one of those cap tethers I've seen them often on e-bay. You could always loop the other end round an ear. :)

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
2 small alligator clips, a short length of bungee cord and a couple of inches of heat shrink makes good hat tethers.

Keeth101

Mu-43 Top Veteran
2 small alligator clips, a short length of bungee cord and a couple of inches of heat shrink makes good hat tethers.
OK, so let me get this straight -

1 - Tie ends of cord to alligator clips using heat shrink to cover knots.
2 - Clip one alligator to left ear, bring cord over head and clip second alligator to right ear.

Voila - cord holding hat on nicely :thumbup: :laugh::laugh::laugh: :whistling: :biggrin:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I "found" one of these (maybe just 12 pockets or so) from our basement where I had stored it some 3+ years ago which was the last time I had used it.
In my basement, you would have also likely found a damn mouse nest in the vest or the backpack. Hate those little buggers! Fortunately we have a cat now for the last few years so the mouse population is pretty low. Although last night I had a lot of fun chasing and catching a flying squirrel in the house. Got lots of "help" from both the cat and the dog.

2 - Clip one alligator to left ear, bring cord over head and clip second alligator to right ear.
Just pierce both ears, get hoop earrings and you can tether to those and skip the alligator clips.

Last edited:

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I know there is a whole "to filter or not to filter" debate always raging just beneath the surface of every photography forum. I'm not trying to kick that nest of murder hornets. But I have to say that after reading about the thought and energy that goes in to lens caps I think the argument for protective filters is now the clubhouse leader.

I add a filter to pretty much every lens, and put the cap away for when I inevitably sell the lens. The annoyance of lens caps is honestly too much for me. If I'm shooting with lighting that I think will play hell with the filter I throw caution to the wind and go bareback.

The only lens caps I've ever liked were on older Sigma lenses. They were thick and felt high quality. Very satisfying to remove and attach. Maybe they are the same now; not sure. That seems an odd thing to enjoy, I know.

I don't really use a velcro-laden lens cap cap...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom