Lens cap query - quite embarrasing......

Steveee

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve
After many, many near misses, I've eventually managed to lose the original lens cap from my 14-42 kit lens.

I bought two centrepinch ones to replace it and they fit quite well, but they come with a tiny hole in them, and a thin cotton thread, presumably to use as a retainer?

(Here, I suspect, will be the embarrasing bit) Where the heck do I attach the other end?!! The only place that's obvious is the strap eyelet, but it will be a pain when swapping lenses (with different filter sizes), so that can't be it, can it? And it's not long enough to go around the lens anywhere it would be secure, really.

What do you others do? Or don't serious "proper" photographers use them? (This wouldn't surprise me - I'm not a "propoer" photographer, and I'm nearly fed up of the thread already). :biggrin:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Ya usually the packaging will indicate the lens strap attachment method. The ones that tie to your strap eyelet work better with fixed lens cameras. For interchangeable lens cameras, those tethers that have a loop to anchor the lens cap to the lens itself work better. Those types tend to have a thicker elastic loop on the other end that you wrap around your lens like a rubber band.

I used to use them with my old fixed lens Olympus cameras but those caps were plastic and small and dangling wasn't too much of an annoyance. But when I moved to 4/3rds my lens caps got big (my daily shooter, the 12-60 SWD has a 72mm filter thread) and I switched a lot of lenses to metal lens caps so dangling one of those hub caps would be really annoying. Now I take the cap off when I am shooting and slip it into my pants back pocket or other convenient spot. But I also tend to take the cap off and leave it off while walking around with my camera. I do not remove, shoot, replace. It just stays off for the "session".

Steveee

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Thanks both for the prompt replies.

Thanks @BosseBe - after much stretching, fiddling and cursing, I managed to get the thread around the lens just behind the manual focus ring and tie a knot in it. Let's see how long it takes to annoy me! (or fall off due to my inadequate knotting skills) :blush:

@PakkyT - your suggestion re. pockets was also my preferred modus operandi, but I think that's what eventually did for me - I probably pulled it out with my phone without noticing.

Ah well, not quite as embarrasing as I thought. Cheers, guys.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't bother with the cord/elastic/etc.
I found that the cap hanging under the lens was a real bother to me.
So I just stick the cap in my pocket.

Generic caps are cheap, buy a few extra.

Real Name
Walter
I don't bother with the cord/elastic/etc.
I found that the cap hanging under the lens was a real bother to me.
So I just stick the cap in my pocket.

Generic caps are cheap, buy a few extra.
That's what I do. Buy generic center pinch caps and put the OEM ones away in case I want to sell the lens later. If I lose one of the cheap caps, no biggie. I would also hate having the cap dangling under the lens to get in the way or get caught in something, for example, pulling the lens out of my hand to fall on the ground. I also leave the cap off while shooting and put it back only when putting the lens away in the bag. My friend eschews lens caps altogether. He leaves the hood deployed, or buys a short threaded hood and leaves it on the lens, and puts his lens caps away. Faster for him to deploy the lens. He'll also leave a UV filter on the lens for protection of the front element.

Real Name
Walter
My problem is that I stick it in a pocket, but I'm constantly putting it a different pocket so I have mini heart attacks checking all the wrong ones.
That's not worth dying for! :) Could be worse. You could forget a pancake lens in your pocket and send it through the wash. No, haven't done that yet, but I have sent a fountain pen through the washer. Thank God it didn't leak and stain all my clothes blue. Pen still works too, and it's clean!

Panolyman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Brian
I saw a jacket in a country walking magazine a couple of weeks ago and I think it said it had 23 pockets and was ideal for photographers.
I could just imagine me taking off a lens cap, putting it in one of the pockets and spending the rest of the afternoon trying to find which one I'd put it in.
I can just about cope with four.

Real Name
Walter
I saw a jacket in a country walking magazine a couple of weeks ago and I think it said it had 23 pockets and was ideal for photographers.
I could just imagine me taking off a lens cap, putting it in one of the pockets and spending the rest of the afternoon trying to find which one I'd put it in.
I can just about cope with four.
Photo vests used to be popular. Modeled after fishing vests, they had lots of pockets. Enough pockets for you to lose track of your stuff! Scott eVests were more stylish, but had the same idea. I can't handle it. Too many nooks and crannies for me. :)

A jacket too hot for Hawaii anyway. We need a t-shirt with 10 pockets. LOL.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My problem is that I stick it in a pocket, but I'm constantly putting it a different pocket so I have mini heart attacks checking all the wrong ones.
Don't make excuses, work on the problem.
Habit / standardize. Put it in the SAME pocket, right front, right back, or whichever you want.
Or leave it in the bag when you remove the camera.

Mountain_Man_79

Do all the interns get Glocks?
Real Name
Chris
So back when I had the 14-42, I drilled a tiny hole in the bottom corner of the lens hood, and ran the strap from the cap through that. This allowed me to take the cap off and it would just hang/swing from the bottom. It worked very similar to those ‘lens keepers’ with the sticky pad and elastic loop. I’d never loose it, and I didn’t need to worry about putting it in a pocket or around my wrist. It was only a nuisance when it was extremely windy, and only a mild nuisance when reversing the hood.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I have lost 2 dangling lens caps whilst photographing flowers. The other end of the thread was attached to elasic that went around the lens barrel. A sudden movement, the thread caught on a plant stem and flicked off somewhere. I now find the replacement lens caps can fit in a pocket.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I generally wear a black cap, with strategically placed velcro on the side. A spot of velcro on lens cap and on it goes. Easy access. Haven't lost one yet.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
I concur. Cheap caps are the way to go for the dime a dozen lenses.

For your favourite lenses: a UV-filter with a metal hood. No risk of loss. Best protection.
Cheaper than an original cap!

And leave original cap in original box!
Maybe use it indoors on big holidays.
Like Christmas!

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom