1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens cap for PanaLeica 25mm f/1.4

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sprinke, Apr 13, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    This might seem like a silly question, but what kind of lens cap is the PanaLeica 25mm f/1.4 lens supposed to come with?

I bought the lens from another forum member and the lens cap I got is not the center-pinch type. It has two things on the side that you press inwards to release the cap. Because of this design, it's nearly impossible to remove or replace the lens cap when the hood is on.

I'm starting to think that maybe he sent me the wrong cap, and I wanted to check. Are there Panasonic lenses that share the same cap size?

Not sure what to do about it; not worth trying to get the correct one if that's the case; I could just buy another from eBay or something I guess.

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Might be worth trying to get the correct one from seller, as I think the cap is about $30bucks plus shipping from eBay. I'm guessing you got the cap from a 20 or 14.

3. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    My local camera shop sells center pinch caps for $7.99

4. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yep, I've had the 14 and 20, and currently have the 25. The 14 and 20 come with the side pinch and the 25 comes with the center pinch. I actually prefer the side pinch, but it doesn't work with the original hood on.

I use one of those screw on hoods and use a "Leica" side pinch cap on top of the hood.

5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yes, the 25 comes with the center pinch lens cap. At first I didn't like it because it was the thickest of all the lens caps (the 14, 20 and 25 share the same size... but all have different lens caps!).

However like you I found that the center pinch exists because of the hood!

6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    It looks like Adorama has a center pinch for 46mm size for just $7.95.

7. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
  8. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    The 20 and the 45 use the same filter. But come with different caps. The 20 comes with the side pinching ones. Your seller made a honest mistake or kept the better cap.

9. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I made the mistake of putting the flat cap on the 25 when I had the hood on it...was not easy to get back off. You definitely need the pinch-cap if you're going to use the hood.