Lens & body dilemma while traveling (+airline weight limits)

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran
Heading to Mexico in 2 days, near Play Del Carmen. Have been there several times but now, with some new equipment, came a broblem. Only 5kg carry on back allowed in a plane. My back bag weights 1,8 kg and with essentials (back up battery, eye glasses, Kindle and so on) and camera gear, my bag is all ready 6,5kg and I know that will weight it on both ways and are very strickt about over weight. I will be visiting some nature parks so EM1 and Oly 40-150 pro + 1.4 tele converter is a must. Then EM5 mk ll and Oly 12-40 pro and Panasonic pancake 14 f2.5.
I would like to have 2 bodies so I don’t have to change lenses all the time, but leave 12-40 home? Or leave EM5+12-40 home. Or take them all and pay hefty charge for over weight (might be anything from 50 to 100 dollars, at least on Cancun end.)
Then there is a option to jam both bodies in my jacket pockets...

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Are you sure they will let you pay a fine and board with your gear?

Since you are dead set on your heaviest lens, I'm not sure what serious options you have. Even if you shed the em5, 12-40, about 800g, and all the e-m5 accessories, I don't think that will be 1500g.

Do you have a checked bag?

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
In your case, use "plan B."
To minimize the weight, I would bring the EM5, and the 12-40 and 75-300.
Leave the heavier EM1 and 40-150/2.8 at home.

This is the reason for my own light "plan B."

I bring the smaller/lighter EM10-mk2, and leave the larger/heavier EM1 at home.

I bring the lighter lenses, and leave the heavy pro lenses at home.
  • P-Lumix 12-60 as my GP lens,
  • Olympus 40-150R (for more reach, or the 75-300 for even more reach)
  • Olympus 17/1.8 for indoor low light.

drknaim

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tim
I'd seriously think about the pockets.
I did the same for my last Naples trip... Only had the Peak Design 10L Sling which barely fit the size requirements. I put the pen f with the 12-40 on a peak design pro pad + capture clip on the belt (and jacket pocket alternatively). Clothes for 1.5 days and GM5 with 2 little primes in the sling... and then exchanged the stuff for the daily tours.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
Pockets. When I’m facing a flight like this (as I did last month in Asia) I wear a vest with pockets that can accommodate enough weight to get the bag below the 5kg limit. The bag was about 6.5kg. It turns out they didn’t weigh my small backpack, but I was ready.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
Some of the websites are extremely unclear. We just flew on Bangkok Air, which has a 5kg carry on limit and makes no mention of a personal item. On our flights, at least, enforcement of both the weight and second item was lax.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Last time I flew to the US, (Norwegian to Oakland from Stockholm) I was allowed a carry-on bag and a personal bag.
I don't remember if there was a weight restriction on those bags, (the checked-in bags could be 21 kg each I think).
I had my photo bag as carry on with G80, P100-300, P12-60 etc, just lenses and body, I checked the weight before leaving and it was ~3.8kg.
As my personal bag I had my backpack with laptop, pad and my GM5 +lenses, I didn't check the weight of the backpack but should have been less than 5kg.
All accessories as charger etc (except batteries) went in my checked luggage.

I would check again with the airline to see if you can have both a carry-on and a personal.

Gillymaru

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I travelled this week and got pinged at the airport for overweight hand luggage. I filled the pockets of my large ski jacket with 4 lenses and spare batteries then hung my G9 around my neck. Zipped the jacket up and got my bag reweighed and waved through without an issue.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Dismount the 12-40, it makes it easy to pocket. An E-M5 without a lens is also easy to pocket.

Your real problem is the 40-150 f/2.8, that's a huge and heavy lens which is hard to pocket, even by itself.
As I mentioned earlier, the e-m5 and 12-40 add up to around 800g, but he's over the limit by 1500g. If he's set on the 40-150/2.8, he's gotta pocket a lot more than that.

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran
thanks everybody. I desided to leave 12-40 home. Have to do with a Pana pancake. Will pocket both bodies so that’s about it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom