Lens bags, cases, pouches, etc.? Strap?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by nmatheis, Aug 4, 2010.

1. nmatheis

nmatheis New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Hello,

First post here. I've been using an E510 for awhile but switched over to an EP-L1 for more portability. I'm headed on a trip to Italy in a month and would like to throw my EP-L1 and some lenses (probably the 14-150 for day and 20 for night and maybe the 9-18, too) in my small Timbuk2 bag or REI daypack while I'm out and about but want some protection for the body and lenses. The lenses are so small, finding lens bags, cases, pouches that are small enough is a challenge. What are people using for lens protection inside their bags? I'm more interested in separate bags, cases, pouches instead of a bag insert. I'd be grateful for any advice, suggestions, etc.

I'm also considering getting a sling strap and was wondering if anyone has good experience with them with the EP-L1. I'm particularly interested in the Luma Loop, since it's made in the city I live in (Portland, OR).

Thanks!
    Nikolaus

2. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have a very small Crumpler bag. I found a cheep laptop sleeve from one of those pound shops. This is folded down and sewn to make a simple pocket. I added some velcro and made a couple of dividers from another sleeve. The bag was bought on sale for £5 and I used 2 sleeves, the velcro I had lying around, so net cost £7 :2thumbs:. The bag will hold my E-p1 a couple of lenses and a small compact. I have fitted in an old Zorki camera instead of the compact.

Attached Files:

3. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    RayS did a good look at three straps in this thread. He mentioned the Luma Loop but didn't test it in his sampling.

https://www.mu-43.com/f67/insanely-long-detailed-review-3-sling-straps-2901/

I have a Black Rapid but never use it with my m-4/3s gear preferring to used an Optech SLR Wrist Strap which is under $10 USD. For times I do wish to use a neck strap, I use the Op/Tech Super Classic Strap in the Uni-Loop version. I just leave the two small attachment pieces for the strap on the camera all the time and can plug/snap-in either the wrist strap or the neck strap quickly and easily as needed.

Super Classic Strap | Demo Page

http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=80&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=4

You should also read this thread that discusses straps as well. There are a lot of other related threads in the accessories forum.

https://www.mu-43.com/f67/straps-451/

As is it is in many cases with accessories, it is going to come down to what you prefer and that might change as you start using your new gear.

Welcome to the forum. September is a great time of the year to visit Italy. Have fun and bring back some good images to share here.

4. nmatheis

nmatheis New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the suggestions so far! I've already put some foam padding in the bottom of my Timbuk2 bag, which will protect my camera gear when I set my bag down.

Alex66, do you you use any additional protection for your lenses, or do you just throw them in the foam sleeve with the rest of the camera gear? I think I'd like the lenses to have some individual protective bag/case/pouch of some sort.

john1027, thanks for the links to strap threads. I was looking for a sling strap because when a strap is attached to the EP-L1, it makes accessing the controls and shutter release difficult - at least with the stock Oly strap. I thought a sling strap would let me attach to the left-side or tripod mount, leaving the controls completely accessible. The camera would be more out of the way as I wander around, too. I would probably have to worry more about sitting down and bumping my camera on a hard bench, curb, etc with the sling strap, though...

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    As I posted once before, just get some of those stubby coolers made from wet suit material. They're perfect for lens protection in bags that aren't ideally sectioned. Something like this:

[​IMG]

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 2
  6. nmatheis

nmatheis New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Cool idea, Ray. I'll check those out. Do you get any bits of foam coming off on the inside? Is it easy to slip the lens in and out?

7. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Hi there I tend not to use additional pouches for lenses, I just keep them separated with dividers. Though I did make a couple of pouches with offcuts I had left over. I need to look at making better pouches. Next time I make a set I will try to remember to take photographs and do a diy thread.