1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens analyzer software

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by StefanKruse, Mar 15, 2015.

1. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Hi,

I stumbled onto this freeware program that analyzes your picture library for what lenses you have been using. I am tempted to download this as I am a sucker for stats.

However Google chrome is warning me against this, which I guess was expected. Still it sparked a worry in me, so before I hit the install button, I wondered if anyone had experience with the program? is it safe? Does it work?

Here's the link to the webpage:

http://www3.telus.net/lens-gas/default.html#LensGAS

Thanks

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    • Like Like x 1
  3. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Thanks,

It says that it read exif data from Jpegs. Do you know f it also read RAW? most of my pictures are in RAW format.

4. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
  5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    It just reads JPG files unfortunately, but what I sometimes do is use IJFR to create a folder of JPGs from a shoot and get Exposure Plot to determine details. IJFR is extremely fast and can produce great JPGs from the RAW files, if you're after some quick JPGs for whatever reason, and they get installed in their own folder so it's quick and easy to delete them afterwards.

6. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Alternatively:

If you have Lightroom, there is a (relatively simple) plugin by Jeffrey Friedl called "Data Plot" which will possibly do what you want. Friedl has written many LR plugins, I use a few all the time and they are great. They are "donation ware" so you can pay as little as you want for them. This software (being an LR plugin) will happily deal with RAW files.

Rob

7. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Thanks for the all the input. Decided to download the program Lens-Gas-Analyzer and so far no problems, very simple and easy.

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I should probably do this, too. Though I already know that with my week in the Galapagos (almost exclusively with the 14-140), my focal length plot looks like a U-shaped curve, with the majority of the photos taken at 14 and 140...

With data like that, it certainly doesn't make drawing useful conclusions (i.e. about where to sell off lenses and consolidate on higher quality) any easier!

9. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    You can run the analysis with and without the galapagos trip to get a more representative result

10. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Of course, the other issue with this kind of analysis is that you probably want to make sure that you're only analysing the photos you really like.

It's possible to take a lot of photos with a given focal length and then find that the results when you're looking at them on the computer don't really strike you the way they should have when peering through the viewfinder...

11. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    Hi guys, LensGAS website was my pet project. Google recently had introduced compliance requirement check for "safe" website. My site hasn't been updated as is marked as not compliant. Google is treating it as high risk. I assure you that it's safe.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan

Thanks Theo, program is nice, but somehow I dont think the program is able to recognise the Oly 9-18mm? it never shows up in any of the runs I do and I know I am using the lens.

13. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    Thanks for letting me know. I am not actively maintaining that program but will find some time to update a few things. Hope you find it useful.