Lens Advice

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Agent K, Apr 9, 2012.

1. I am still relatively new to the M43 world and would like some input on lenses.
    I currently have a GH2 with the pan 14-140, and am going to invest in some more soon.
    I have already decided on both PL 25 and 45 lenses and the pan 100-300. Still a little on the fence about the 7-14mm.
    My main interests are macro, landscape and wildlife photography. Also getting into abandoned buildings and stuff along those lines.

I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations or suggestions on lenses based on my interests. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Please pardon my noob-ness. lol
  2. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Other lenses to consider, the Samyang 7.5 Fisheye, Olympus 12 2.0, the upcoming Olympus 60 2.8 Macro.
  3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    I'll give you my noob experiences...

1. The 25 is the best "everyday" lens you can buy (in my opinion of course).
    2. I also want a macro lens, but am going to see how the upcoming oly 60 rates/prices before looking into the pl45 any further.
    3. I bought one of the cheap 14's on ebay...I wish I had put that money toward the 7-14 instead. The 14 is great, tiny, and cheap, but isn't wide enough for my needs. Again, going to wait to see how the upcoming pana 12-35 rates before jumping though.
    4. I very much want the 100-300...so I'm with you on that one...would be nice to have that sort of reach for wildlife, etc.
  4. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    I'm also in the market for a macro lens, but I'm curious as to when the new Olympus 60 will be released. Any news?
  5. bedojo

bedojo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2011
    I love the 12mm, and the 45mm :)
    the 12mm is spendy but, you will wish all your other lenses had that build :p
    my next lens will be the 25mm, the gap between 12 and 45 is toooooo large
  6. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    No idea but most commenters think late 3rd or 4th quarter. So Septemberish.
  7. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Good lens selection. I would add the Panny 14mm 2.5 --it's is a great lens for landscapes and interiors. Loads cheaper than the Oly 12, very light, very sharp.
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The m.Zuiko 12mm/2 may be a good landscape lens... or of course the Lumix 7-14mm you're considering. They're both in a similar price bracket, so that's a tough choice. I'm not much of a landscaper so I can't say definitively. Other than that, I think you've got a pretty good coverage of native lenses.

One thing that I think is missing is a fast telephoto for wildlife. You've got a good slow super-telephoto with fast Autofocus but there are times when lens speed is more important than AF speed, especially when shooting any kind of action. You might want to consider getting a Four-Thirds mount adapter and one of the fine Zuiko Digital lenses for that. One of the best for balance of high resolving power, relatively fast speed, easy to handle size, and affordable price range would be the Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD (I say the SWD version because it's easier to manually use a mechanical focus ring than fly-by-wire). The Zuiko 150mm f/2 and Zuiko 300mm f/2.8 are also incredible lenses, but are rather large and expensive. The Zuiko 90-250mm f/2.8 is a real giant and difficult to wield. The Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 on the other hand, is easy to hand-hold and control. However, at 200mm you're already at f/3.5... you could also pick up an OM Zuiko 200mm f/4 or something which is only a half stop slower, way more compact, and really cheap.

Since you say you like Macro, there's also good cause to expand your collection with legacy macro lenses. Macro work doesn't use Autofocus, so there's no reason to stick with native lenses. Although having one good native macro (the Leica 45mm Macro-Elmarit) is certainly a good idea, you may want to experiment with different focal lengths like maybe a 90mm or 100mm macro lens which will offer you much more working space. The Tamron Adaptall-2 90mm/2.5 is very good, as is the Kiron 105mm/2.8 to name a couple.
  9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The 7-14 is an excellent lens, and possibly my favorite. It's certainly not the most used, but it produces the most dramatic images.
  10. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    +1 to this. All of my favorite m4/3 shots were taken with my 7-14. Even at f/4 I've never had issues shooting in low light situations and the IQ and character of the lens is amazing. As an abstract shooter and lover of distortion, I don't personally see any reason to pick the 12 over it.

Otherwise it seems like you're on the right track - I love my PL45 and have heard great things about the PL25. The 100-300 should go well on your GH2 with a good tripod.
  11. Thank you all for the input. I think I will go for the 7-14 over the12. Seems like there are a few more creative options with it. I am just starting to research non-native options so I am sure I will have more questions as I delve further into those. Please let me know of any other suggestions that I may consider.