1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens advice (street & travel) for E-P1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by CiaranCReilly, Jun 12, 2013.

1. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Regarding 20mm, sorry can't edit title...

Hi all, sorry for starting another lens advice thread, but I am suffering some severe GAS lately. My current gear includes E-P1, Pana 14/2.5, Sigma 30/2.8 and OM Zuiko 50/1.8. I have been very happy with this setup for use around town and general travel photography and am happy to zoom with my feet. I am also happy with the 28mm to 100mm equivalent range I have currently.

However I recently discovered a shop near me has a Pana 20/1.7 for ÔéČEUR229, or maybe less, and I am seriously considering it as:
    1. a bright autofocus lens (have been using 50mm for low light but find MF with 50mm hit-and-miss on E-P1)
    2. a small-and-light lens for travel and street use (I love the Sigma 30mm, but find it a little on the large side for walkaround, while 14 is often too wide)
    3. and, I'd like to give something close to 35mm a try.

I am on a tight budget and buy used when I can. A friend has advised me to give it a miss, as I would be very disappointed by AF speed when compared to the 14 and 30 I have. In terms of light gathering, I hope to upgrade to OM-D in the next year or so, so perhaps the better ISO here would give me the same light gathering advantage of 2.5 or 2.8 to 1.7?

I guess my question is, would the Pana 20mm still be a relevant buy, given it's AF speed and the fact I'll probably get a newer-sensor camera in the near future?

2. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    That is a good price for the 20mm. Also the focal length is so versatile that you don't have to take any other lenses with you when going out on the streets. You gain one f-stop more light than f2.5 lens and still get better image quality. With the 20mm you can achieve pretty nice background blur if desired. Autofocus is slower than the other two af lenses you have but your E-P1 isn't that fast to focus either. I enjoyed my 20mm a lot until I had to sell it to try the Pana Leica 25mm. My advice is to try the 20mm in the shop. Try to focus close and far and you will quickly discover if the AF is fast enough for you.

3. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    On my EP3 the autofocus of the 20 isn't that bad. I don't know how it'd be on an EP1. It is slower focusing than the 14 or the sigma 30 for sure but not by much. It hasn't hindered my use of the lens at all. I don't shoot a ton of fast moving subjects though. I would think that for travel photo fast moving subjects would not happen that much. It also focuses just fine for street type photos as well. Anywhere where there is movement but not sports type action movement it shouldn't be a problem. If you know how to use single point focus and find an edge as you shoot it works well.

I have the 14, 45, and the 20. The 20 stays on my camera and I switch out for the other 2 as needed.

4. CiaranCReilly

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Thanks Vivalo and cprevost, it is as I feared, it sounds good and I will go and try it out and probably buy it! Thanks for sharing your experiences. At the moment the Sigma stays on the camera and I swap the others as necessary, but I am hoping that the 20mm may take over as my "always on" lens.

5. CiaranCReilly

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    I went and bought this 20mm Mk1, and am very happy with its performance. It's much faster to focus on my E-PM1 than E-P1, which is great, and overall it is very usable indeed. Been using in mainly on the street, where the FL fits right in.
    9250004313_785a72ea09_c.