Lens advice for upcoming Yukon trip

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by 67DGS, Jan 11, 2013.

1. 67DGS

67DGS Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hello all:

Just booked an unexpected quick trip to the Yukon Territories in a couple of weeks. I plan on doing dogsledding, snowmobiling and Aurora borealus watching. My 4/3 kit is too big and heavy so I plan on taking my E-PL5. Unfortunately I only have the 14-42 kit lens. What would you recommend as a more versatile lens to take? Hard to tell if the environment will be condusive to changing lenses as average temperature is between -10 and -20 degrees. Would maybe a Panny 14-140 or Oly 14-150 do the job? Please wade in with any suggestions!

Thanks so much:

Jack

2. 67DGS

67DGS Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I forgot to add: Has anyone had experience changing lenses in extreme cold?

Cheers:
    Jack

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I'm curious to hear responses. I would think extreme cold would present some very real challenges. Metal mounts would be difficult enough, I would think plastic mounts would be very risky.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    One thing to remember is that a lot of things are harder to do with gloves on - particularly thick gloves. I'd try to avoid lens changes. Unfortunately the E-PL5 has rather small buttons which doesn't help much.

Also, battery life drops like a rock at low temperatures, so bring lots of batteries and make sure to keep them someplace warm!

• Like Like x 2
  5. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I keep batteries in an electric sock when shooting in cold weather, and I do my share here.

• Like Like x 2
  6. 67DGS

67DGS Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks to everyone:

Rev. Bob: I never thought about the plastic mounts of the kit lens, that could be pretty disasterous!

Dara and Doc: Thanks for the tips, I figured that the cold would be a bit hard on the batteries but now I realize it would be really hard on them. Fortunately I have a good supply and large pockets in my parka. I have thought about the 'not glove friendly' design of the EPL-5. Hopefully my bare fingers won't freeze to the camera:biggrin:

Cheers:

Jack

• Like Like x 1
  7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Define 'Extreme Cold'. My biggest worry/hassle in Antarctica (which was only 5 to 10 below at the worst. Celcius, don't know F) was condensation upon heading back indoors. Sealed zip locks or dry bags (preferably with as little air as possible) to prevent the hotter, moister air indoors from condensing immediately and letting the lenses acclimatize/come up to temperature for a few hours first also helps. Or keep the camera out in the cold as long as you're there. Chemical hand warmers for batteries may also help.

In terms of changes, I was there with a pair of 5D mark IIs, a 24-105 on one and 100-400 on the other because I didn't want the hassle of changing lenses in gloves. What really does work for shooting is a layered glove approach: start with a silk liner glove, cover that with a fitted, grippy glove (winter golfing gloves work, good grip and you can operate the buttons easily) with a ski-type glove over that. Only needed the one hand in a 'small' glove. This is one situation where small MFT bodies are not necessarily an advantage...

• Like Like x 2
  8. 67DGS

67DGS Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks mattia, some great advice! I was wondering about condensation on the lens but had no idea how to stop it, and never would of thought of using zip locks. And the glove tips are great!

The temperature up there this time of year is usually around -20 degrees celcius as January is the coldest month.

Cheers:
    Jack

9. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Might want to check on availability of electricity/charging station too.

• Like Like x 1