Lens advice for River Cruise

WJW59

Mu-43 Veteran
We are going on a river cruise later this year ( Amsterdam to Basil, mostly Germany) and I’m having trouble deciding on lenses to take. I don’t own many zooms and don’t want to add anything new so I need to choose from what I own.

So far I have decided on:
P 14mm + Fuji WA adapter (10.6mm equiv). O 40-150mm 4-5.6

What I have left to choose from:
O 17mm 1.8. P 20mm 1.7. O 25mm 1.8
S 30mm 2.8. O 45mm 1.8. S 60mm 2.8
O 75mm 1.8. O 14-42 ez

17mm is my normal wide angle but I expect to need the 14 combo for interiors and the 40-150 for when I can’t get close and it is sooooo light. The 30 and 45 are probable my most used lenses with the 60 following close behind. I shot 35mm for years with a 55 or 58mm and I think that is why the 30 gets used so much. The 75 is my zoo lens. :)

Any thoughts?

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I'd have to bring along the 20mm or 25mm if it were me, those are such useful lenses and give you a low-light bump as well. The 60mm or 75mm would be tempting as well. On a boat you don't have the comfort of positioning yourself wherever you want, so a longer lens will probably come in handier for scenery, I'd probably take the 75mm for low light or shallow DoF.

Gosh, I'd want the 17mm as well... Sorry, I'm not much help!

In 2014 we river cruised from Budapest to Amsterdam... back when all I had was my D700 with nifty50, 24-85, and 70-300. It was the last trip with FF. I used the 24-85 most of the time, with the 50 indoors and only on the last day did I take out my 70-300... just too heavy.

What I found was that the 24-85 range was a great range for almost all the walkabouts and was ok inside but the 50/1.8 was better suited indoors. Did I say the 70-300 was too heavy? lol... There were times I wanted more reach but didn't take it out... cuz it was too....

FF (fast forward) to 2017... another river cruise to Portugal... similar tight streets, but this time I had the reach I wanted with my 12-100/4. Quite frankly I probably could have done just fine with that one lens but I also had my 7-14/2.8 Pro with me and it was incredible inside the buildings. Last year I added the 25/1.2 and it was sensational indoors.

Another one coming up this year and most of it is Europe based... meaning tight streets, some landscapes and lots of indoor opulence and dark rooms to capture...

Instead of the 25/1.2 I'll be taking the 17/1.2 cuz I'm convinced it will be better in the tight quarters and inside darker buildings. The 12-100/4 will be on one of the bodies all the time. I'll probably take the 7-14/2.8 as well but it may be the least used of all.

Most of what you decide on will be based on what you intend to shoot. If you're looking at street shooting it will depend on whether you're shooting it from a distance or from up close. For any of the cathedrals and castles I'd take the fastest indoor lens you have with the widest angle. I don't know much about the specific lens you have but if you like what you get from your 17/1.8 it should do the trick indoors. If the 75/1.8 is all its cracked up to be and the size is small enough I'd probably toss that on in too. It's 150 equiv reach would have been perfect for my 2014 trip.. equalling almost twice the reach of my 24-85. Looking back, most of my shots were taken below 50mm with my FF back then.

WJW59

Mu-43 Veteran
In 2014 we river cruised from Budapest to Amsterdam... back when all I had was my D700 with nifty50, 24-85, and 70-300. It was the last trip with FF. I used the 24-85 most of the time, with the 50 indoors and only on the last day did I take out my 70-300... just too heavy.
Instead of the 25/1.2 I'll be taking the 17/1.2 cuz I'm convinced it will be better in the tight quarters and inside darker buildings. The 12-100/4 will be on one of the bodies all the time. I'll probably take the 7-14/2.8 as well but it may be the least used of all.
Looking back, most of my shots were taken below 50mm with my FF back then.
I was really considering the 17mm as a walk-around lens with the 14 w/ adapter for interiors (10.6mm effective) The 14 combo gets a bit soft in the corners but the few times I've used it there was no noticeable problems with the displayed images. The 75mm is a great lens and I was considering it over the 40-150 but I think I would mostly use either during the day so the slower aperture isn't a huge problem and I get more range.

I guess I could go 14(11)-17-30-75.

WJW59

Mu-43 Veteran
I'd have to bring along the 20mm or 25mm if it were me, those are such useful lenses and give you a low-light bump as well. The 60mm or 75mm would be tempting as well. On a boat you don't have the comfort of positioning yourself wherever you want, so a longer lens will probably come in handier for scenery, I'd probably take the 75mm for low light or shallow DoF.

Gosh, I'd want the 17mm as well... Sorry, I'm not much help!

Yep. I guess I could take them all and my old 4/3 lens & adapters and Pentax & adapters.

Ugh!! My back aches just thinking about that and my wallet aches from the baggage fees.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I am just finishing my fourth river cruise with Viking. At present in Amsterdam on the Gefjon eating breakfast. My choice is a Panasonic FZ82. No changing lenses, no bags, no decisions. That and the iPhone do a good job. Take a shower cap from the bathroom in case of rain. It is liberating to have a small light camera, rather than carry loads on the excursions and on board. It is about the photos I take, not how I look to others that matters. One passenger is carrying a Leica spotting scope on a Benro tripod.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom