1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lens advice for Moscow on a budget?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sjducks, May 10, 2012.

1. sjducks

sjducks Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2012
    chicago, il
    Sorry for another "what lens" post, but I figured that there are many people who have been in similar situations that can help.

I'm leaving for Moscow in the middle of June and am interested in adding a lens to my m43 kit. My gear is still a work in progress, but I have an E-P2 and E-PM1, with the II R kit lens and the Sigma 19mm 2.8. I would like to add another lens to take along with my as I'll be taking photos all over indoors/outdoors, daytime/low light. I am however on a budget and really do not want to spend an excessive amount on this lens. I am interested in the Oly 45, but am not really going to be taking any portraits while there (or elsewhere for that matter). Maybe squeeze in a P14 for the wide angle? Any advice would be fantastic. Thanks much!

2. sjducks

sjducks Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2012
    chicago, il
    forgot to mention that I am looking more for native glass if possible. I also have an OM Zuiko 50/1.8, although I am not sure if it will make the trip with me. Thanks again.

3. Kameleo

Kameleo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 8, 2011
    W.Siberia, Russia
    Dima
    p20/1.7 - best choice

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Both of those focal lengths are covered by your kit zoom, so you should be able to figure out which one you use more - wide-angle or short tele? Or are you generally 'stuck in the middle'?

My personal preference would be something wide (particularly indoors and urban shooting), so the obvious budget option would be the 14/2.5. The 12, while expensive (and thus probably out of the question) would actually give you something very different in terms of field of view (extra mm on the wide-angle side mean more than on the tele end). Or even the 9-18 ultra wide zoom, although not everyone likes ultrawides equally. I enjoy them from time to time (I have a 17-40 on my full frame), but 24 is usually wide enough for me.

5. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

I visited Moscow just the other week and would definitely recommend a tele zoom as well. When walking around you will want to zoom in on the wonderful buildings and architectural details, and the 45 (good as it is) will not bring you close enough in my opinion. I shot most of my pictures last week with either a wide angle (I used the 9-18 Oly lens) or tele (the Oly 40-150). Since you mention you do not want to spend too much and maybe only want to add one lens I would suggest the 40-150 in your case, not too expensive and very versatile. Combined with your kit lens you will have a light and small but very usable combo that will give you a lot of picture opportunities. If you can stretch the budget think about the 9-18 as well though, great for interiors!

https://www.mu-43.com/f56/moscow-color-b-w-25585/

To give you some idea, most outdoor pictures in my Moscow thread (above) were shot with 40-150, most indoor shots with 9-18

Regardless of your choice, you will have a great time there, wonderful city for a photo trip!

• Like Like x 1
  6. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    My wife and I went to London, UK, last summer. She was there for two weeks before I got there, and she took along her E-PL1, m.14-42 (mk. I) kit, and the m.40-150. She never complained about any restrictions, with the exception that 14mm wasn't wide enough for a very few architecture shots.

I brought my old E-620, 11-22mm and 50mm f/2. It would get to be too much weight for a 10-12 hour day of walking around. I envied the little E-PL1.

I would say that if your goal is to enjoy Moscow, and not to earn a profit off your shots, then get the m.40-150mm, a few extra batteries, and a few extra SD cards. It's a very sharp lens for the price, and extra batteries and SD cards are more important than another stop of light.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Since you don't have a strong idea of what you want I'd go along with the others suggesting the 40-150. It gives you a good general purpose kit. The two zooms and faster normal on two bodies will be very versatile on a tight budget.

Fred

8. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Moscow lens

Since you already have Oly cameras, I can recommend the 14-150 zoom. Compact, wide range, good quality (no equal to the primes, but plenty good enough). Just traveled to New Zealand and used this lens most of the time. It's $499 at Amazon, perhaps out of your budget but worth a look.

9. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Save your money for your trip. Since you have no idea what you want, it would suggest you don't need a lens at all.

10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Wide. Wide. Wide.

There are many very interesting interiors in Russia. The chapels inside St. Basil's for example. IMHO it takes 24mm equivalent or better to shoot an interior and give an adequate sense of space. My "travel wide" is the 9-18.

(Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood in St. Petersburg is another photogenic interior. Don't miss it if you get that far.)

Those photogenic interiors are usually pretty dim. I suggest a 5 or 6 section carbon monopod that collapses to around 16" Put a Velbon QHD-41Q or one of the Manfrotto ball heads with the QR2 system on your monopod and you will be a happy low-light shooter.

IMHO you have enough longer lenses unless you are a birder.

11. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    either kit zoom or 9-18mm

12. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I would pickup a M39 adapter and buy old Soviet glass while there.

13. sjducks

sjducks Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2012
    chicago, il
    Thanks for all the suggestions fellas, much appreciated! Keep em coming.

14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    One more re budget: You could buy a 9-18mm for the trip and sell it when you get home. I did that with a G1 and a 100-300 for an African safari-type trip last fall. Having the body and lens cost me a net $30 on the transactions. The 100-300mm is a special purpose tool that I don't normally need. If I have another specialized need in the future I will do the same again.

There are also lens rental companies, but I don't know anything about them.

15. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    If you are going to sell it, do it before you come home. You will get better prices for it outside the US. You would probably make a profit.

16. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    I actually have the same dilemma for Italy next year. The Oly 12,f2.0 is way out of my budget. I was probably going to buy the Pany 14,2.5. At < $300. I looked at the Sigma 19,f 2.8, but I didn't think the reviews were overwhelming.
    I have the EPL1. Type I. Kit lens, and the 40-150 tele-zoom ( love that lens ). I also have the Holga lens ( I actually like this one alot ). So, judging by the responses here, the Pany is the way to go.
    Thanks.

17. sjducks

sjducks Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2012
    chicago, il
    I am leaning a little more towards wide angle than zoom although the prices for the 40-150mm olympus are pretty cheap now (same goes for the 14mm panasonic).

BAKatz, I'm with you...I'd love to get the Oly 12, but it's out of my range as well.

18. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    FWIW here are a couple of pictures I shot for a travel magazine article, illustrating the difference between 28mm and 24mm equivalent focal lengths. Note that in the narrower photo you can't even see the side walls of the room.

P1030156.

P1030157.

and, finally, a pano

Senate.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You can always take multiple images and stitch them together rather than buying a wide. I often do handheld panos. The gridded display is very helpful in taking the series.