Lens Adapter

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bomber, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Bomber

Bomber Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 8, 2014
    Dongara . MidWest of Western Australia
    Hi All,

Just trying it figure out what lens adapter I need for the DX lens I have been using on my D90 & D7000.
    I have the omd e m1 , is it the nikon to 4/3 or the nikon to M4/3.
    Any links to look at would be good.

Cheers Bomber
  2. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Its the last one, M4/3.

The "M" stands for micro

The 4/3 standard is for the dslr range from olympus
  3. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    When the DX lens is mounted to your EM1 it will be totally manual ( no electronic interface with the camera body). The lens will have to be manually focused and the aperture set manually. Since the lens has no aperture ring you will need an adapter that will allow you to set the aperture manually. There are many different brands like this one. If you buy the less expensive brands there is a risk of getting one that will not allow the lens to focus to infinity correctly. Some adapters are not properly blackened and will cause loss of contrast because of internal reflections. I use my older 1970s Ai and non Ai Nikkor lenses on my Panasonic cameras.
  4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    1. As has been said, the e-M1 is a Micro4/3 system camera so you need a Nikon to Micro4/3 (m4/3, M4/3, mu43, ยต4/3, ...) adapter and not a Nikon to 4/3 adapter (the older SLR series).

2. The DX designation is not sufficient to determine exactly what adapter you need. Some Nikon lenses have f/stop rings and some, the "G-series", don't. If your lens(es) lack an f/stop ring you need to get an adapter compatible with the G-series lenses. Such adapters provide their own method for controlling the f/stop.