1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens adapter question: crop factor

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by tradback, Jun 9, 2013.

1. tradback

tradback New to Mu-43

Nov 21, 2010
    I'm a beginner and use my epl1 for family events. About a year ago, I bought an MD-to-m4/3 lens adapter for my old 50mm 1.7 lens.

Do lens adapters affect crop factor? I mean if i theoretically had a 50mm lens with a native m4/3 mount, would I see more of an image compared to using an adapter. I'm a beginner and have little knowledge on the physics of photography.

Thanks!

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
  3. tradback

tradback New to Mu-43

Nov 21, 2010
    Thanks madogvelkor for the quick reply.

I thought the extra distance between lens and camera body (because of the inserted body) alters crop factor.

4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    All the extra distance does is make it so the image comes into focus at the designed distance. The difference between a MD 50mm and a m4/3 50mm is that the MD is engineered to make the picture come into focus at a different distance compared to m4/3 (called register or focal flange distance). However, since they are both 50mm lenses, the view once they are mounted on the camera is the same, regardless of register distance. This distance is standardized for each type of mount, and roughly speaking, anything that has a longer distance can be adapted to m4/3.