Lens adapter for omd

Mario Cuecna

New to Mu-43
Hi, I recently bought an Olympus Om-d E-m10 III and I have an old Samsung camera that does not work, a Samsung gx 1s, I am new to photography and I would like to know if there is an adapter to put the lens of my Samsung on my olympus, the target is a d-xenon 50-200 I have looked for info but I have not found much, thanks :)

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
The GX1s takes Pentax K mount lenses. There are loads of adapters that will mount these to micro four thirds (the lens mount of the EM10) but I don't think any of them support autofocus or camera control of aperture.

If controlling these features manually does not daunt you then you have a reasonable selection of options. However I suspect the D-xenon 50-200 might actually be Samsung's rebranding of the Pentax DA 50-200 which I've used on my Pentax DSLRs a lens without an aperture ring. To use lenses like this you should get a DA type adapter rather than the PK type, this adds in a ring that moves the aperture lever on the lens mount giving a degree of aperture control. To vary aperture on a PK adapter you need to wedge the linkage in the spot you desire while the lens is off the camera making anything other than wide open or completely shut a complete gamble. Aperture control with a DA adapter isn't a great deal better but you can at least select intermediate positions & view the DOF while doing so - you just don't know what f-number you've selected (The cameras TTL metering will give you reasonable exposures despite this).
see https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184920988551?hash=item2b0e265b87:g:8DYAAOSwHZVgw1X3 for one of the cheaper DA adapters the K&F is a bit more than twice this price but reportedly is better made.

If you're willing to forego the aperture control of this adapter type, you can also use PK adapters that give other added features such as tilting adapters & focal reducers (which can be prone to slight vignetting with APS-C lenses).

With the smaller sensor of the EM10 you won't get the same Field of view as the 50-200 gave on your Samsang instead getting a slightly more telephoto view.

Mario Cuecna

New to Mu-43
The GX1s takes Pentax K mount lenses. There are loads of adapters that will mount these to micro four thirds (the lens mount of the EM10) but I don't think any of them support autofocus or camera control of aperture.

If controlling these features manually does not daunt you then you have a reasonable selection of options. However I suspect the D-xenon 50-200 might actually be Samsung's rebranding of the Pentax DA 50-200 which I've used on my Pentax DSLRs a lens without an aperture ring. To use lenses like this you should get a DA type adapter rather than the PK type, this adds in a ring that moves the aperture lever on the lens mount giving a degree of aperture control. To vary aperture on a PK adapter you need to wedge the linkage in the spot you desire while the lens is off the camera making anything other than wide open or completely shut a complete gamble. Aperture control with a DA adapter isn't a great deal better but you can at least select intermediate positions & view the DOF while doing so - you just don't know what f-number you've selected (The cameras TTL metering will give you reasonable exposures despite this).
see https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184920988551?hash=item2b0e265b87:g:8DYAAOSwHZVgw1X3 for one of the cheaper DA adapters the K&F is a bit more than twice this price but reportedly is better made.

If you're willing to forego the aperture control of this adapter type, you can also use PK adapters that give other added features such as tilting adapters & focal reducers (which can be prone to slight vignetting with APS-C lenses).

With the smaller sensor of the EM10 you won't get the same Field of view as the 50-200 gave on your Samsang instead getting a slightly more telephoto view.
Thank you very much for the detailed answer explaining everything, I appreciate it very much. The only thing I haven't quite understood is the lens mount type. The objectives that the Omd uses are 4/3 right? Because I would like to know what type of adapter to buy also in case in the future I buy a lens from another brand. And the adapter that appears in the link is an adapter that does not support autofocus, right? Thanks in advance

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
I think the Pentax K mount is called an M-42 mount, a universal camera mount from the old days. I think I mounted an old manual Pentax-mount lens on an earlier Olympus E-520 DSLR, but I think you can also get adapters for m43 mount. See this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M42_lens_mount
M42 is the earlier screw Pentax mount, and was used by many other brands. It needs the flange to sit at the same distance from the sensor as PK and is slightly smaller so an adapter can sit inside the PK mount. PK (and its variants are bayonet mounts. You can easily get adapters for both to MFT

Thank you very much for the detailed answer explaining everything, I appreciate it very much. The only thing I haven't quite understood is the lens mount type. The objectives that the Omd uses are 4/3 right? Because I would like to know what type of adapter to buy also in case in the future I buy a lens from another brand. And the adapter that appears in the link is an adapter that does not support autofocus, right? Thanks in advance
OMD used Micro Four Thirds, the micro part is very important, four thirds on it's own refers to the earlier Olympus DSLR mount. Very few adapters support AF but a few of the more expensive ones do including some for the original four thirds & Canon EF.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom