1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens Adapter for Nikon Lens: Metabones or Voigtlander?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nokiamia, May 29, 2010.

1. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    Sorry, I hope I'm not duplicating any existing thread but I'm trying to decide between these 2 for my old Nikon lenses. What puzzles me is that the price of these 2 are almost twice in difference. Is there something that Voigtlander has that Metabones don't? Do you have any other recommendation for Nikon f-mount lenses? Thanks!

2. next61

next61 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2010
    They look pretty much the same to me! I find the price on Voightlander a bit excessive as they both use brass on camera and lens mount. How much is Metabones and from where you get it?

• Like Like x 1
  3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The Metabones adapter looks very similar to the Voigtlander (which I have) and it's difficult to tell differences from photos of the Metabones. One thing that is clear, is that the lens bayonet doesn't have the baffle that the Voigtlander one has, but whether that makes a big difference I don't know. That said, the Metabones has a chrome plated, brass, flange on both ends like the Voigtlander, rather than the one piece alloy usually found on the cheap brands, so in that respect, it seems to be good value.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 2
  4. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    Thanks so much for your replies. I found the Metabones in ebay for USD90. While the Voigtlander in a photography merchant website for USD192 (both prices without shipping charges).

Really hard to understand why the huge difference in price. But if indeed Metabones is OK, I'd probably get that.

5. genji

genji Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2010
    +1

I was unaware of the Metabones adapters until now. I have the Voigtlander adapter and it exudes quality (as does the one Novoflex adapter I have). But, for the reasons Ray has listed, if I were buying another I'd definitely get the Metabones. It's a pity they don't seem to be available for other mounts (Minolta MC/MD, Konica AR, Olympus Pen F, Leica R, Contax C/Y, etc).

6. oldnikkor

oldnikkor Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC suburbs
    Metabones!

I have the Metabones adapter and it's perfect! No wiggle at all when the lens is attached. The seller will also sometimes accept a slightly lower offer on ebay, FYI...

• Like Like x 2
  7. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    How do these differ in quality and fit from the many on eBay which I assume are made in china? I have a fotodiox and I just got another one from Rainbowimaging on ebay for less than $40.

8. oldnikkor

oldnikkor Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC suburbs
    The fotodiox adapters and most of the other Chinese ones you find on ebay are rather cheaply made. They get the job done, but the mount facing is often not even chromed, but a black painted surface. There are also little springs inside the bayonets that keep the lens from wiggling when attached. The release pin on the Metabones is also of higher quality than the Fotodiox, which often feels like it will break off!

• Like Like x 2
  9. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Not that hard to understand, really. We live in a global economy (as busted as it may be), so you have competing labor rates at work for similar items. An item made at $50 an hour will cost a lot more than the same item made at $1 an hour.

10. next61

next61 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2010

I think that they are made on the same place... we are just paying extra for Voightlander's name.

11. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    I just contacted a fellow mu43 member called Lasjas who also owns an eBay store selling Metabones adapter. While the listed price for a new item is US$89.90, Lasjas is giving a significant special offer for fellow mu43 members!

It's assuring to know that Metabones is a Japanese brand. So, I think I'm going for it. Here the link to Lasjas's eBay store.

12. amaimani

amaimani Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Oman
    Great news, but then how to order from him as on ebay it says 89 USD?
    Do I have to get in touch with him directly or will be there a method to get the discount? Sorry for my naive question.. cheers

13. oldnikkor

oldnikkor Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC suburbs
    I got mine from him too. Just made him an offer on ebay and he accepted. Great seller, he got it to me in just over a week from Hong Kong.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    How much is the significant discount?

15. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    In eBay, there's a small little button (next to Buy It Now) named 'Make An Offer'. That's where I keyed in the price as agreed with Lasjas via email. It was my first time utilizing that button in eBay :)

To me, the discount was quite significant. It was very generous of him. I got almost 30% off. I was definitely happy. And now, eagerly waiting for delivery. I can't stop smiling!

• Like Like x 2
  16. next61

next61 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2010
    Just received my Metabones adaptor from Mr. Leung via Hong Kong Speedpost to US... 3 days, free shipping, best offer accepted about 30% less than price.
    Let me tell you this: I will not pay so much for this adaptor as Voightlander wants me to do! Voightlander sales a great M4/3 adaptor but when you compare it with Metabones... I don't see any difference. Oh, the price; Metabones is $100 cheaper :rofl: