1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lending your camera

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by diselgl, Dec 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. diselgl

diselgl Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Philippines
    Arvin
    Someone (who I can't say no to) recently borrowed my camera and it's making me feel uneasy and queasy since this morning, specially because I take care of my gear like one of my kids.

Any advice how to gently say no to someone who wants to borrow your camera?

2. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Just like you did above. Tell him/her that your camera is like one of your kids to you and you really don't like to let it out of your possession. I think casual or non-photographers have no idea how much we have invested in our gear. Many folks who would be ok borrowing a $100.00 camera might think twice about a $1000.00+ camera and lens. Another point might be that if you loan it out you then won't have it to use yourself. Most of us who are very active would find that to be an intolerable situation.

On the same track, this is one of the reasons I tend to keep the previous model camera when I upgrade and sell or trade-in only previous models. Since I have started using the EM1, I am fine with loaning the older EM5 but not the new one. That probably doesn't help if you only have the one camera.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. diselgl

diselgl Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Philippines
    Arvin
    Thanks. I think keeping an older camera kit is a very practical idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    I've learned my lesson.
    I've borrowed out my O17/1.8 twice to 2 different friends cause I wanted them to experience it since they had O45/1.8 and wanted somethings wider.

2 weeks ago I found fingerprint on the inner lens (does that make sense?).
    The lenss towards the housing.

Got rid of it (fingerprint) but not borrowing out equipment again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I generally say no, I don't lend equipment because if anything happens then that would create an uncomfortable situation covering costs etc. Basically, I just say "No, sorry can't do." outright.
    Unfortunately my daughter had asked for her groom's (let's say) stepfather to use my camera for their wedding. It was after my son-in-law (to be) had used my Stylus 1 & then one of the OM-D cameras on a day out (at a local wildlife park) the year before & I think they just thought it would be fine for me to lend it. Well, it wasn't & after some agonising I decided that he could use my E-30 DSLR with the 14-54 II lens & for telephoto he would have to suffice with the kit 40-150m lens. I suggested he use flash indoors but no, he wasn't going to do that & he insisted on using MF so a number of shots weren't in focus & a little blurry with too slow a shutter speed, but meanwhile, as Father of the Bride, I was shooting away from my seat with my E-M1 & E-M5 with the 12-50 & 75-300 lenses & thankfully got some nice indoor shots. Another guy was also using his earlier Nikon DSLR but just saving JPEGs (I wish he had saved raw as well). Anyhow, the wedding happened & I won't lend my camera again (well that's my intention today).

• Like Like x 1
  6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Tools, cars, cameras, guns: just no.

• Like Like x 4
  7. diselgl

diselgl Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Philippines
    Arvin
    Somewhat a similar situation to mine except I don't have another kit to borrow out.

8. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I'll lend out most things, but nobody else can touch my bike or my cameras. My daughter, who wraps me around her little finger, asked me if she could borrow one of my cameras for a college assignment. I couldn't do it, so I bought one for her instead.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    You would think having staff that also borrow your gear would be something I'd be comfortable with.
    Unfortunately, I'm not.
    I have to let them use it, and I have to be fine with it, otherwise, how can they grow?
    I just have to hunt down the clips that disappear from lightstands, the lens that goes into the wrong bag, the battery pack they forgot to charge, the synch cover that evaporated, the battery they forgot to charge, the memory card they left in the card reader, the softbox they forgot to unpack and dry out after shooting in the rain, the battery pack they forgot to charge, the missing filter from the front of a lens(?), the fingerprint on the front element.

And, the battery pack they forgot to charge.

Yes, staff can drive you insane, and there isn't one of them I wouldn't cheerfully hand over a brand new, still boxed camera, and say "Here, go and have a play".

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I think I'd have to be hard pressed to lend out a body of my pro gear. But I have lent out a lens. My m4/3 stuff? Probably too my kids.

11. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Actually, I did lend another daughter my E-M5 & 12-50 lens this week but I won't do the same with the E-M1. I guess if that gear had come to grief then it would be a good excuse to buy something more. ;)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  12. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    And maybe that might inspire her to follow your passion!

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    As mentioned above, an old E-P1, E-PM1, etc. works well. Take a good shot, looks great, and if it breaks you can get on with your life. Best solution for all involved.

14. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    No, once she finished the assignment the camera was relegated to her wardrobe and has since been sold. She is of the cellphone camera generation.

I think that if my cameras were business tools or casual purchases, I wouldn’t be so overprotective of them. The fact is that most of my kit has been a gift from a family member at some time, this adds an attachment beyond any item’s monetary value. My family don’t question why I need another camera or another lens, they are happy to buy these relatively expensive items because they know I will appreciate it. Each camera, each lens reminds me of a time when the family were together to celebrate an occasion, and of course that sentiment would not be appreciated by any would be borrower. My 600D and my RX100 were casual purchases and I think I’d be happy to loan them to someone I considered responsible (which unfortunately rules out my daughter :whistling: ), but anything that was bought for me as a gift is far more precious to me than something I buy myself.

The same goes for my motorcycle, which was a gift from my wife. I can’t make time to service it myself and I can’t trust a bike shop to care for it the way I do, so it’s been sat in my garage now for 14 months. I’d rather it stay unused and immaculate than be manhandled by some time pressured spanner-monkey (and as an ex-spanner-monkey, I’m allowed to say that!).

• Like Like x 1
  15. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I still have my EPM1 and I'd be happy to lend that out, but I'd still have to lend a lens with it, and its the lens that I'd be more worried about.

16. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

I would never treat one of my cameras like I treat my kids...

ie: tell it to go play on the road... :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Just say no. Sorry, but no. If anything happened to my camera in your possession it would cause too much hostility (or fill in the blank). I don't like lending nice things to people. They never take as good of care as I would.

My boss once asked to borrow my car, when his had been broken into and window smashed (his fault for leaving phone/GPS in plain view..and he still does). I flat out said no and couldn't even believe he had the nerve to ask me in front of his regional mgr/Friend too. Not to mention he is pushing 300 lbs and my car is a manual transmission with bucket seats and not even sure he knows how to drive a stick shift. Heck no. My GF is the only person I'd trust with that.

I lent a backup set of golf clubs to an old friend once (no way I'd lend my primary set and he is a hacker) and when he finally returned them, they were absolutely filthy and grooves full of dirt. Totally inconsiderate. I could never do something like that to someone elses stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I also hang on to a 14-42 kit lens for suicide missions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Back when I bought my EM5, it came in a kit with the 12-50EZ which usually just stays in the box in a closet. If I loan the camera, that is the lens they get, not any of my pro glass.

• Like Like x 1
  20. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    Loan me your toothbrush and I'll lend you my camera. On second thought maybe no is better.

• Funny Funny x 3