Lemmings, pre-ordering the OM-D E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I ask those of us who have pre-ordered, me included, the OM-D E-M5 are we being like lemmings rushing headlong towards the cliff edge clutching, in my case, a £1000 in my hot little hand.

None of us know what it's like, especially IQ wise.

There are no 'Reviews' available from the trusted sources for us to draw an opinion.

I must be honest, when I do finally get the call from my dealer telling me my pre-ordered E-M5 body is available for delivery I'm not sure at this moment which way I'll jump.

I have a relatively new G3 which with my range of lenses...7-14, 14-45, 45-200 and two Zuiko's 50mm and 24mm.....give me outstanding results.

If the G3 had an eye sensor for the LCD/LVF I don't think I'd bother with an E-M5.

My G3 has a true articulating screen, which I just love, the E-M5 does not.

At the moment it's 60/40% in favour of the OM-D E-M5.

Most of the 'extras' I get for my £1000 I don't need and never will, except of course the eye sensor.

It does look nice though.:smile:
  2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I must add this to my lexicon. :rolleyes:
  3. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Me too.

As to the OP, yes, it could be. I think IQ will be quite good, but there's a certain risk right now. We just don't know.

It does look stylish though.
  4. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Hey - just think, you get to be one of the beta testers that figures out what has to be fixed in the firmware so the camera will actually work as advertised/expected! It's an honor I usually and proudly bear with new tech gadgets but I opted out this time. :rofl:
  5. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Shouldn't I get 10% off for doing that?! :biggrin:
  6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Nope, I'll get 10% off a month after release for you doing that :) So thanks!
  7. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    My reason is to get IBIS for my legacy glass with a built
    in EVF. I have no doubts that it will have better IQ than my G1.
  8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I prefer the term early adopter =)

Mostly out of function. I love my G3, but this looks like it'll have everything I want after leaving my DSLRs. Buttons and grip option mainly (tho, hoping the grip drops in price, so we'll see). IBIS is a nice bonus as well.

The real question is why didn't I just get a GH2. It'd be cheaper. Mostly out of ergonomics. I don't really like the GH series. But if the E-M5 turns out to not be good, then I'll probably return it. Why not try it out in the store? I doubt it will be there around here. And I wanted to have it before May if possible (used to Panasonic's releases, heh).
  9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    I trust Ian at Four Thirds User and Robin Wong. Opinions and samples from both of them have me looking forward to its release. I still don't plan on buying one for at least a year. I'd rather buy a lightly used one from an early adopter. Even if I could fit it in the budget now I don't think I could ever order a camera without holding it in my own hands first.

10. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    You're just not committed! :thumbup:

True lemmings sell their only m43 body immediately - no turning back! :rolleyes:

Seriously, though there are no 'final' reviews from the big guns like DPR, the studio shots, etc., and user experiences from people like Robin Wong are comforting enough for me...
    • Like Like x 1
  11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If I had a Pen, and wanted to stick with Oly, I think the OMD is pretty much a no-brainer. Based on the pictures posted IQ seems a significant step up from the Pens, the IBIS is likely to be at least as good (and works during preview and video), and AF and the EVF is probably a little bit better, maybe quite a bit better.

But if I had one of the 16MP Panasonic bodies, and was happy with it, I think I'd wait and see. Based on the pics I've seen to date, I think the OMD is better, but not by a lot. Probably not enough to justify the cost of switching, unless you really, really, need weatherproofing, an underwater case, or a vertical grip. It's not like if you don't buy it in April you'll never have another chance.If the OMD turns out to be a significant step up, you can buy it later.

And if I had a 12MP body and wasn't dead set on Olympus, I'd wait and compare the OMD to the GH2, and maybe the G3 / G5 before spending my money.

It looks to me like the OMD will be a very good camera, but I agree it's not yet clear how it balances out against some of its competition.
  12. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I do know it's a tilting touchscreen, so it's perfect for me
    It seems as tho it'll be slightly better than my ep3 for low light in high iso
    Plus it can get a slightly bigger grip

So its miiiiiiiiine!

Btw, mmf3 hit my local store already if anyone's wanting one, u might want to call yer fav shops

- Eliot
  13. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    There's nothing wrong with being an early adopter. If anyone cared enough to really check out what was being said on this forum, it's obvious what it was: Olympus' take on the GH2, with their own choice of features. We know overall what the image quality will be: more or less the same as the G3, so what you've been achieving up to now, but with IBIS and weathersealing, and hopefully a more substantial battery.

On another forum, posters were making fun of people that would do something so stupid as to pre-order the Nikon D800. Given Nikon's history with releases, these users trusted Nikon to deliver, and they're now out enjoying their camera while everyone else gets to sit around just reading about how awesome it is. Same thing that happened with the D7000, and the D300 and D3 before it. If you want the camera, order now and enjoy it. There will likely be an issue or two to iron out, and there will likely be many more that aren't really issues but are perceived by misuse of the camera ("If I stand in downward dog, shoot a photo in bulb, pull the battery out, reinsert while still holding the shutter, the camera will take a normal photo at 1/60!"), but overall, you're going to have yourself a just-fine piece of equipment to play with.
  14. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Well you do get more than that if you get one of the listed items eligible for the mail in rebate.
  15. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    My prediction: this camera will blow the 80 marks on DPReview.
  16. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Just give me two things...

Guinea pigs. I'm one. I'm relying on Olympus to address two things, that dumped me 3 years ago into the Panasonic mirror-less camp:
    -Make sure the focus is fast and accurate.
    -Make sure the I.S. works well.

I loved my E-510 DSLR when I had it because the I.S. saved a lot of shots for me, and it worked well. This in my book compensated for the terrible viewfinder and poor high ISO performance.
  17. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    The E-M5 has more manual controls, and the tilt screen actually seems less fussy and just as usable as an articulating screen for any type of shot that's not a self-portrait or shooting around a corner (neither of which I can imagine wanting to do). It's also weathersealed (not that I'd want to take a $1k camera out in the rain no matter what the claims are), and has a higher FPS than the G3.

That's why I'm waiting for it instead of buying a G3 right now, despite the fact that the E-M5 is one of the ugliest designs I've seen in the M4/3 world. Luckily that has no impact on the photos it produces.
  18. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    E-M5 iso 200 with the E-M5 12-50mm kit lens

E-P3 iso 200 with the E-M5 12-50mm kit lens

I see better sharpness and detail resolution in the EP-3 photo. Not encouraging news for E-M5 buyers.

BUT, over at Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review the E-M5 beats the E-P3 in low iso jpeg sharpness and detail resolution.

So conflicting results. I have always found dpreview's studio shots to pretty accurately reflect what various cameras do in real life usage so I am tending to trust their results with the E-M5. Hopefully the less favorable fourthirds-user.com results are due to a problem with the particular E-M5 camera they used. Ian says he's going to test a second E-M5 camera soon.
  19. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    A trip from Wales to Watford on Saturday?

I'm having the same problem, having to use reading glasses, this is the first Olympus m43 that I would consider. I'm having difficulty justifying the extra £450 over a GH2. I'm not bothered about the grip, but I might change my mind if I handled one, maybe I need to take a trip to Watford on Satuday!

20. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Again, take some random guy's comparison with a grain of salt. A huge grain, like maybe the size of a FIFA regulation soccer ball. Also, the DPReview comparisons can show noise, but the detail resolution is a joke. Look at this thread for example, where people are clearly able to show that the NEX-7 destroys both the 645D and D800 :rolleyes:
    D800 vs Pentax 645D [Page 1]: Nikon D4 - D1 / D800 Forum: Digital Photography Review
    Or this comparison I just made, where it looks like some random Canon point and shoot is able to beat out the Nikon D3:
    Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review