1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Leitz filter identification help

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by eeyore, Apr 5, 2011.

1. eeyore

eeyore New to Mu-43

Feb 18, 2011
    I picked up a Leitz circular polarising filter that was labelled as a 49mm filter on the case, but on trying it with my lens it doesn't seem to be a 49mm filter (i.e. it doesn't fit my lens).

The filter has Leitz Wetzlar Germany P-cir 13354 on it, any help with figuring out what it is and what it fits? I'm admittedly new to filters and all that so all I know is it's a circular polarising filter. :redface:

Thanks!

2. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Well, you ran into a weird oddity of Leica filters.

I looked up this part number, it's a Series 7 size filter. This page talks more about them, but the short story is it's an odd pitch that I think only Leica used, and it's actually 54mm but not compatible with other 54mm unless you have the right step up -- and they're basically difficult to find.

I have an E39 converter for standard B+W 39mm threads, which makes it much easier to find filters for several of my older Leica lenses.

3. eeyore

eeyore New to Mu-43

Feb 18, 2011
    Deirdre, many thanks for your reply. :) I suppose I should have checked the filter properly instead of assuming the labelling was correct. :redface:

I've read the link, but I'm just as confused as before (if not more!). I'll have to poke around the internet/Leica sites to try to understand all their product names.

Do you think I'd be able to get an adaptor for it to fit onto a lens with a 55mm or 49mm thread filter, which seem to be more common denominators, or is this an impossibility?

4. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    You might send heavystar on eBay a message; he stocks (and has manufactured sometimes) tons of odd Leica parts. His specialty seems to be filters.

5. eeyore

eeyore New to Mu-43

Feb 18, 2011
    Hi Deirdre,

Thanks for the seller link, and all your help. :) I'll definitely check it out.