Leicaness and The Leica Look

Real Name
Roel
Personally, I do find some of them have very pleasant rendering... for instance the PL 25mm 1.4. In other focal lengths, I tend to prefer "regular" Panasonic/Olympus or third party lenses. The rendering of the Panasonic 20 1.7 also does appeal to me (and for me is on an equal level to the PL 25mm in this regard). In 17mm/15mm range I have picked the Olympus over the PL.

For example; If I would shoot more portraits than I currently do: I would prefer the Sigma 56mm 1.4 over the Olympus 45 1.2 and PL 42.5 1.2 (even at the same price) as I do like the focal range and rendering better. Which one is really "better" or "special" is a matter of personal preference. Besides the difference in focal length I would not be able to pick which lens was which in a blind comparison ;-)

ean10775

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Eric
For as long as I've been with the m43 system, something about the images others (and I) have taken with the PL25 speak to me in a way that photos from others lenses don't. I also regret selling my PL42.5 in favor of a Fuji 56mm f1.2 as I prefer the look from that lens. I don't know if its a Leica thing though, as I also feel the same way about many images I've seen from the P20. Also, having never tried either, I too with pick the Oly17 over the PL15 from what I've seen.

nwphil

Mu-43 Regular
I always thought that it was the look on your face when you check your bank account after coming back from the camera store with a shiny new Leica camera and some lenses ;)

But in all seriousness, I do think Leica lenses are overall very very good (good optical design, very high-quality glass). I doubt (read: personally can not see the difference) that this gives a special look and there are many lenses that also have very good optical design and high-quality glass for all systems.
quite right - I have a few shots taken with the Otus 28mm and they do resemble quite a lot what is 'expected' from the Noctilux 1.0 version. Thankfully we all see and perceive the world in many different ways, otherwise we would be very boring (not without drawbacks). Point being, there are some ...less than good, or simply ordinary Leica lenses.
I think that I can see the Leica glow/look and rendering difference, and same goes to Zeiss lenses. However I have been surprised a few times looking at older pictures exiff, and realized that indeed they were taken with a Canon lens..LOL. Nothing wrong with that.
If one can't see the difference, that's ok - you will save a lot of money and time discussing its attributes.
In the end they are just tools, and one sees what wants to see - used with skill, at the right time, any lens will "glow" :whistling:

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
PL lenses are expensive, but worth it.
I think so too. On landscapes, the rendering of clouds in the sky was striking as soon as I started using the PL 12-60 zoom - and I have been used to Nikon optics for the last few decades too...

justbananas

New to Mu-43
I owned a Leica CL Digital for a while, and it for sure had it's own "look" - and it was awesome, I miss that little camera despite it's quirks. I think part of the "look" was the lens construction, and yes, I do believe in micro-contrast and I think part of it was just the way the sensor and the on-board engine compute color. I rented a Leica M10 for 2 weeks, and there's no doubt it's images are very different (and awesome).. the cameras just aren't practical.... I sold my CL to replace with my Oly OMD em1 mkii for the handling, work flow, autofocus, tethering, more lens choice, price, etc etc... I don't always like the rendering as much, but it's still very good - and in some cases better, and I'm still getting used to my fairly new to me Oly - all cameras today are really good. But if you ever get the chance to play with a CL digital, do it.. it's a cool little special camera.

justbananas

New to Mu-43
I want one, but I can't justify the cost. Plus, big and I don't know about it's weather sealing. And If I were to have basically a studio camera.. would it be the SL2, or... GFX100.. Or heck even a Canon, which I think are great cameras.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Why, oh why did I just google the Leica CL.... :doh: Come on, Panasonic, release the specs of the GX10 now, and some sweet, sweet pictures of it !!!
It's definitely the kind of camera design ethos that M4/3 could learn from. Small body, but they aren't afraid to let an EVF with a good ergonomic size and shape kind of take the space it needs... and getting a top LCD with shooting information. Only thing I would like different in M4/3 configuration is maybe an articulated LCD (some will scream) so I can turn it against itself and have no screen on the back to worry about.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Charlie
I have the 45 2.8 macro p/l
And the 60 2.8 macro oly.
Usually I can tell immediately what lens took what. The difference is clear.
The p/l is like art.
The oly is like a scientific instrument.
If it wasn’t for the waterproof and extra reach thing, I’d take the 45 every time...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom