Shootout Leica vs. Panasonic: The Duel I Never Thought I'd Make

11GTCS

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
To be honest: I can't see any point in such comparisons.

I might be convinced of a change of mind if I saw any excellent, artistic, time-enduring (for generations) photographic masterworks - in the photos taken, of course - which prove that the amount of (additional) money spent makes the difference. In the last ten years I haven't come across any photo that shows that the Leica or any other high-priced camera makes the difference. It still is the person behind the lens and body.

In the last century there were photographers who proved exactly this ... and were lucky to have the best tool for it, a Leica. But it's the genius of the photographers and their special way of showing us what they saw in the way they saw it which makes the difference. The Leica was just the tool to reach that aim in the best possible way at the time.

There are many superb shots in the mu-43 threads with cheaper ad mid-price cameras ... and there are quite a lot of average shots taken with highest-price gear as well. To me it's the outcome that counts, and that is the perfect photo (able to really touch peoples' hearts).
While I agree with the sentiment of your statement, I can't honestly see the point of you lecturing on the need for photographic talent trumping the need for good gear. Part of the fun of having gear for some of us is to test and compare it. I'm an engineer, this sort of analysis is just part of how my brain works.

Of course a Leica doesn't make you a better photographer. I don't expect the camera to magically transform me into Cartier-Bresson, Constantine Manos, or any of the other brilliant street photographers that shoot Leica. I chose Leica for my full size body because I like the idea of shooting manual, a concept that MFT bodies don't promote with all of the tech that gets in the way, at least for me. I love having my GM1 for carrying while cycling or when I need some really crazy reach, and I have no intention of getting rid of it.

The ultimate goal of this comparison is to provide entertainment and an honest look at what a Leica body gives you in terms of IQ, since we often talk about FF vs MFT and Leica FF is probably the closest to MFT in terms of Dynamic Range and ISO performance.

Even looking in the shootout page at all is a waste of time with the attitude of wanting to show that it's the glass or body that makes any difference. Any good photographer can make great images with any camera and any lens. That's not the point. The point is to have fun and see how things are similar and how they're different.

Walter

Mu-43 All-Pro
While I agree with the sentiment of your statement, I can't honestly see the point of you lecturing on the need for photographic talent trumping the need for good gear. Part of the fun of having gear for some of us is to test and compare it. I'm an engineer, this sort of analysis is just part of how my brain works.

Of course a Leica doesn't make you a better photographer. I don't expect the camera to magically transform me into Cartier-Bresson, Constantine Manos, or any of the other brilliant street photographers that shoot Leica. I chose Leica for my full size body because I like the idea of shooting manual, a concept that MFT bodies don't promote with all of the tech that gets in the way, at least for me. I love having my GM1 for carrying while cycling or when I need some really crazy reach, and I have no intention of getting rid of it.

The ultimate goal of this comparison is to provide entertainment and an honest look at what a Leica body gives you in terms of IQ, since we often talk about FF vs MFT and Leica FF is probably the closest to MFT in terms of Dynamic Range and ISO performance.

Even looking in the shootout page at all is a waste of time with the attitude of wanting to show that it's the glass or body that makes any difference. Any good photographer can make great images with any camera and any lens. That's not the point. The point is to have fun and see how things are similar and how they're different.
No offense meant whatsoever. This is one of the friendliest forums and it must remain so.
I think you have thoroughly misunderstood me.

I was talking of comparing cameras. We all know that even a vintage Porsche is much better than a 21st century Beetle in quite some aspects. For some people the fun is in taking them to pieces, for others it's the driving, and there are those for whom the fun is in testing, that's quite normal. What I wanted to make clear is that I need no testing here to prove the superiority in many (not all) fields. The real fun is, as I said, in the driving, that is in using the tool for what it was made for.

Where I'm completely with you is comparing vintage lenses to modern ones. A Summilux or a Noctilux can still teach modern engineers lessons and of course there are big differences in DOF, bokeh, sharpness, rendering of colours etc. which you see immediately when you compare photos taken. That's why I'm still using some of my old (purely manual) lenses in between next to the modern primes. These comparisons can be quite interesting and are fun, too. Here I'm completely with you. Hope there's nothing more to misunderstand now. No lecturing meant either.

I'm wishing you much fun with this excellent engengineer's gem, take it outside and let us see your photos.
And my best wishes for your Master's degree. My university years definitely were one of the highlights in my life.

Last edited:

11GTCS

Mu-43 Regular
No offense meant whatsoever. This is one of the friendliest forums and it must remain so.
I think you have thoroughly misunderstood me.

I was talking of comparing cameras. We all know that even a vintage Porsche is much better than a 21st century Beetle in quite some aspects. For some people the fun is in taking them to pieces, for others it's the driving, and there are those for whom the fun is in testing, that's quite normal. What I wanted to make clear is that I need no testing here to prove the superiority in many (not all) fields. The real fun is, as I said, in the driving, that is in using the tool for what it was made for.

Where I'm completely with you is comparing vintage lenses to modern ones. A Summilux or a Noctilux can still teach modern engineers lessons and of course there are big differences in DOF, bokeh, sharpness, rendering of colours etc. which you see immediately when you compare photos taken. That's why I'm still using some of my old (purely manual) lenses in between next to the modern primes. These comparisons can be quite interesting and are fun, too. Here I'm completely with you. Hope there's nothing more to misunderstand now. No lecturing meant either.

I'm wishing you much fun with this excellent engengineer's gem, take it outside and let us see your photos.
And my best wishes for your Master's degree. My university years definitely were one of the highlights in my life.
I definitely misunderstood you, and I apologize for being a little bit quick on the draw there. I half expected some derrogatory comments, even here, since Leica draws the ire of many people (rightly, they make very polarizing decisions). When you commented, I just inferred that assumed thought that I had projected on people who might respond.

I definitely can't wait to "drive" the heck out of this one! If anything, the Leica has already shown me how lazy I've become as a photographer. I used to prefocus lenses based on guessed distances, always subconsciously adjust exposure as I changed lighting, etc. Modern cameras are amazing but they definitely take that instinctive edge off!

I agree wholeheartedly on lenses. My favorite lenses every, bar none, are the Zeiss 40mm f/3.5 Tessar in my Rollei 35 and the Zeiss 150mm f/4 Sonnar from my old 'Blad 500CM. Both give my favorite renderings of any camera and I love the way I shoot with both.

Thanks for the well wishes! Only 4 days until my defense, so you'll see some images soon!

11GTCS

Mu-43 Regular
While this post is really quite old, In the end the Leica didn’t stick. I’m back, and one of the first lenses I rebought? The PL 25, because there’s just something about the imperfect perfection that is the character of that lens. The lenses and the compactness of this system are really unbeatable for my use
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom