1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Leica to produce Mu-43 how things change!!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Michael, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Michael

Michael Mu-43 Regular

2. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    The statements are confused:
    "Leica plans on elbowing its red dotted-elbow in from next year, with a new compact-cam system with an APS-sized sensor at the very least (...)"

Hate to ruin the party but this sounds more like APS than m43.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Leica do not need to join the mu-43 party, they are already well represented via their partners at Panasonic so in theory they could work together to produce a high end camera aimed at the Pro/Enthusiast ( a direct long awaited genuine GF1 replacement perhaps) Just don't try and sell it at Leica prices or it will fail.

As already pointed out, they could probably make something with an APS-C or poss even an APS-H sensor in it but why bother, their sales have been increasing as the popularity of the M9 grows so why shoot themselves in the foot and risk impacting negatively on those sales by launching a cheaper camera that would likely sit between the M9 & the X100?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    It will be very interesting to see how Leica will survive as m4/3rds gains weathersealed, pro-spec bodies and super high grade lenses over the coming months and years...

I can't see Leica evolving very rapidly, while I can see more bodies which appeal to those who loved the Fuji X100.

It's all good for the enthusiast photographer on a budget.

Cheers

Brian

5. Michael

Michael Mu-43 Regular

6. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Of course, Panasonic could brand a souped-up :43: model "Leica".

And why not? I still miss my outsourced-Leica model CL, while I never looked back at my M5...

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This article: Leica to launch new compact system in 2012 [update] - British Journal of Photography
    Posted in this thread: https://www.mu-43.com/f76/new-mirrorless-leica-system-announced-2012-a-13429/
    is much more succinct than the self-contradicting Gizmodo article. This new mirrorless camera from Leica will most definitely NOT be Micro Four-Thirds, looking at what was recorded in that article.

I think this is a pity, but not a big deal... Leica cameras weren't far from our breed of mirrorless compacts anyways, so I don't see this as a huge step for them. An adoption of the entire Micro Four-Thirds system and standards on the other hand, would have been a huge step.

A side comment about the Gizmodo article... We might snicker a bit at the general ignorance of those who think anything mirrorless is Micro Four-Thirds, but really we should be proud as :43: users that our system has impacted the market so much to warrant that! I also hear a lot from people who tell me they've "heard of the new micro four-thirds cameras, like the Sony NEX and the Olympus PEN". I don't bother correcting them very often, as it makes me feel good to know that the Micro Four-Thirds name is much better recognized than Sony's proprietary E-mount system.

I've seen lots of statistics showing that the Sony NEX is the hottest selling mirrorless camera in Japan... However, all these stats are based on individual models. I've never been able to see stats which show the entire system or brands on a whole. Micro Four-Thirds currently has 12 models announced or being sold (Olympus E-P1, E-P2, E-PL1, E-PL2, Panasonic GF-1, GF-2, GF-3, G1, G2, G3, GH1, GH2) with three new models expected from Olympus very soon (that will make 15 bodies in total!), and two of those models (Olympus E-PL1 and E-PL2) make up the top 10 in Japanese along with just one out of two of Sony's NEX models (the two combined make up a little more than the sales of the NEX on its own). They say NEX cameras are the big sellers, but I'm sure if you look at ALL the Micro Four-Thirds models, or even just all Olympus or Panasonic models, they would easily eat up the sales of Sony's two models of NEX. People divide their purchases in Micro Four-Thirds into different models, because they actually have that option with such a broad system!

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Exactly...:thumbup:

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think Leica will have it's niche. There is clearly a segment of enthusiasts who will want very simple controls/design and a few great lenses. On the other hand, I agree with Brian that Leica probably won't have the technology or resources to keep up with advances from companies like Panasonic and Sony. Will be interesting to see what they bring to the table!

10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Just PLEASE, no compact-camera sensor!!

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    the article stated that it would be built around an APS-C sensor...

12. Michael

Michael Mu-43 Regular