Leica, the new Hollywood status symbol?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Chrisnmn, Sep 26, 2012.

1. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    No, I don't think so.

I live and work in Hollywood. I'm about to go to work in roughly 2 hours.

Both my life and work circles include people from show business and people who get photographed a lot.

I haven't seen anything like this.

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
  3. Seal (who also is a Leica spokesperson)... Lenny Kravitz.. among many celebrities and quite a few movies as well.

Its not a new thing.... I wouldn't say its common though.

Attached is a pic lens I bought from the used counter.. with an unexpected surprise.

PS> the camera in the picture of the OP's link is a Leica M8.

Attached Files:

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'd scoff, but I'd buy one if I could afford it. Maybe someday:flypig:

• Like Like x 1
  5. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

There's nothing new about celebrities shooting Leicas Celebrity Camera Club (or Nikons, or Rollies, or Hasselblads, or Polaroids)

This is just a melange of old fluff masquerading as an article. Most of the celebs they mention have been known Leica fans for years.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I agree. There's something mystical about the name that makes me want to own one. :rolleyes:

7. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Idiotic article. I like the "oops that was actually a picture of a Fuji" disclaimer at the end.

8. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

I think it's also worth mentioning that most of the people they're calling out are shooting regular film Ms, not $7k digitals. The sky's the limit with Leica prices, but someone could easily get into a used film M with a good lens or two for less than many of us have into our mu43 systems. I have less money in M than mu43, with one body and two main lenses in each format (though the mu43 has depreciated massively!).

9. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I noticed a M9 in the new Expendables 2 movie.

I watched Spy Game last week again (Robert Redford and Brad Pitt); Pitt seems to shoot an M4 and a Nikon most of the time. At least they picked appropriate cameras for the period.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.