1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Leica, the new Hollywood status symbol?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Chrisnmn, Sep 26, 2012.

1. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    No, I don't think so.

I live and work in Hollywood. I'm about to go to work in roughly 2 hours.

Both my life and work circles include people from show business and people who get photographed a lot.

I haven't seen anything like this.

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Seal (who also is a Leica spokesperson)... Lenny Kravitz.. among many celebrities and quite a few movies as well.

Its not a new thing.... I wouldn't say its common though.

Attached is a pic lens I bought from the used counter.. with an unexpected surprise.

PS> the camera in the picture of the OP's link is a Leica M8.

Attached Files:

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'd scoff, but I'd buy one if I could afford it. Maybe someday:flypig:

• Like Like x 1
  5. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

There's nothing new about celebrities shooting Leicas Celebrity Camera Club (or Nikons, or Rollies, or Hasselblads, or Polaroids)

This is just a melange of old fluff masquerading as an article. Most of the celebs they mention have been known Leica fans for years.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I agree. There's something mystical about the name that makes me want to own one. :rolleyes:

7. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Idiotic article. I like the "oops that was actually a picture of a Fuji" disclaimer at the end.

8. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

I think it's also worth mentioning that most of the people they're calling out are shooting regular film Ms, not $7k digitals. The sky's the limit with Leica prices, but someone could easily get into a used film M with a good lens or two for less than many of us have into our mu43 systems. I have less money in M than mu43, with one body and two main lenses in each format (though the mu43 has depreciated massively!).

9. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I noticed a M9 in the new Expendables 2 movie.

I watched Spy Game last week again (Robert Redford and Brad Pitt); Pitt seems to shoot an M4 and a Nikon most of the time. At least they picked appropriate cameras for the period.