1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Leica T System

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Serhan, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    One day to the announcement and here it is, Leica mirrorless camera w/ 16MP apsc sensor:
    The new Leica T and first lenses
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Considering that Leica had a standard 4/3rds camera at one time and their partnership with Panasonic, I'm surprised they decided to go with APS sensor on their own.

I personally would have preferred if they produced an updated M-mount mirrorless camera equipped with FF sensor similar to M240 minus the rangefinder mechanism with built in EVF. They could update the M-mount to include contacts to support a new line of M-mount lenses that are AF and electronic aperture capable. This way they carry the Leica M-mount fans along as well as carry the brand name into a newer line. Optical formulas already exists for their current M lenses. Same optics can be applied to the newer line of lenses. They would also have an entry level M-mount camera to replace the aging M-E body based on 2009 technology.

So now they have three line of lenses... M, S, and T with three sets of optical designs to maintain since all three are designed for different sized sensors and flange distances. That's no small task for such a company with limited resources.

I have to say though... Congratulations to Dr Andreas Kaufmann for moving Leica into the present digital world. When he acquired the company Leica was near bankruptcy and reluctant to move forward. Excellent leadership from my observation.

3. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There is already another thread under "other systems".

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    A more affordable digital rangefinder would be nice but it's not a rangefinder, so...

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  6. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Do you have any idea what it is actually all about?

7. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    it's an aps mirrorless camera with a new lens mount, it has a separate viewfinder available and all will be known at 3:00 German time.

http://media.leica-camera.com/photokina/index.html

• Like Like x 1
  8. tomO2013

Oct 28, 2013
    I'm very excited to see how this turns out personally.

I'm in two minds as to how this will go.

On the one hand it's very exciting to see Leica introduce a new system. On the other hand, Leica is a very small company and now they will have three lines S, M and T with differing optical lens formulas within each and difference flange distances. It will be interesting to see if they take the EOS M approach to this camera and lens system - fear of cannibalizing their M sales, or if they will fully embrace this family and any overlaps with the M.

It will also be very interesting to learn who designed the sensor in this camera. From recent rumor sites, it sounds like the body is manufactured by Panasonic but that does not necessarily hold true that the sensor itself is a Panasonic design.

9. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I can't find an official price yet, but it looks like 1500 euros for the body. That's currently $2074.

10. JHM

JHM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2014
    Amsterdam area
    European prices are:

Leica T camera body: 1,550.00 EUR
    Leica Summicron ASPH f2/23mm T lens: 1,650.00 EUR
    EVF: 500 EUR
    Source: Leicarumors.com

The pricing of the body is worth considering. But what we think on the lens, 23mm (FFE 34.5mm) 2.0 for 1650,- euros compared to the new Panasonic 15mm (FFE 30mm) 1.7.

11. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    maybe it's my plebeian tastes, but does anyone else find it rather unattractive?

Shape of it does reminds me of the gx7, though

12. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Actually, looks more like one of Samsung NX cameras.

13. tomO2013

Oct 28, 2013
    I cannot make my mind up at all about this announcement.

Steve Huff is raving about it and the two lenses here :
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/...-unibody-digital-camera-review-by-steve-huff/

Generally speaking I enjoy his reviews and have found his findings to be useful and match up nicely with my own experiences.

The sample images that he provided do nothing for me and I think he has confused sensor size and brand with color pop. This is the same excellent Sony sensor as found in the Ricoh GR - a great camera. He never raved as much about the IQ from the Ricoh. But the Ricoh is also a camera that can be bought for a fraction of the price of the Leica T. His review samples from the Ricoh GR look better too to my eyes.

I think Ming Thein said it best - possibly phone manufacturers have 'gotten' the essence of photography best; remove as much complexity as possible and allow photographers focus primarily on the composition. The Leica T definitely looks like something Apple designed and follows the iPhone-esque mantra for touch operation.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2014/04/24/2014-leica-t-typ-701-review/

The thing that I find myself asking myself is whether this is one step forward with two steps back in terms of usability.

- You lose the ability to change exposure settings while the camera is to your eye.
    - You cannot setup your shot (as Leica 'M' cameras typically allow you to do so) before taking your shot.
    - The zoom lens for it's price is not constant aperture - given the low light performance and cost of this lens I would have preferred it to be faster.
    - The samples that I have seen would appear to show that m43 cameras such as the EM1 have better noise control above 1600 iso.
    Price, Price, Price. For the same money you could pick up the A7r / EM1 / XT1 and get optically better lenses and better image quality (to my eyes) for less money.
    - I definitely think that perhaps Fuji have out Leica'd Leica with the XT1.
    - How hard wearing this camera will be over traditional leica build materials. How well will that Leica T body hold up in 3 years time ?
    - Aluminium can make your hands extremely sweaty in hot weather. Ever used a macbook pro on a hot day!
    - Aluminium can be very cold in cold weather. Again if you shoot in cold climates such as Toronto on a cold January morning, you will be screwed unless you have a camera body case. Even then, you better make sure that you have special capacitive touch gloves as taking your gloves off in -20 Celcius to change settings on a touch screen is not fun.

Finally I looked at the price of the camera as a whole. For the same price as the Leica T + body case + evf + lens, you are not *THAT* far off the price of the M240 or second hand M9.

On the other hand, I think it looks gorgeous. The build and feel will no doubt be excellent - but that's a LOT of money for something that feels excellent and really provides no optical/IQ advantages over any other system available. The EM1 and XT1 already provide amazing IQ and versatility at a fraction of the price - they just don't have fancy red dots on them.

14. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Seems an awfully large lens mount for an APSC camera.

P1030584-680x453.

My point being if you match up the Leica APSC T mount with the mount on a Sony A7 you find they are in fact exactly the same size.

hybrid.

Which would certainly imply that the T mount can be used on a dull frame sensor body when Leica decides it wants a FF autofocus system.

• Like Like x 4
  15. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

From Ming Thein's review It’s interesting to note that the mount on the T is enormous – about the size of an EOS mount – which suggests the body could certainly take a full frame sensor. Presumably the size has something to do with tele centricity of the lenses, backward compatibility and so on. For those who do have M lenses, there will be an electronic M adaptor available too – it has the photodiodes required to read the 6-bit codes on the lens, and transmit those via electronic contacts to the T’s mount. I would assume there are some software corrections going on internally to compensate for vignetting, CA, magenta/cyan shifts etc.

16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    It was a terribly sickly piece of schilling, I was quite ... icked.
    Is "icked" a word?
    Icky, it was icky.

The colours : very yellowy greens, like a Canon. no explanation of in-camera colour settings, maybe Imissed that bit.
    No explanation of which Sony sensor is used, although we can extrapolate.

Great alloy body! I love how they pulled the wool over his eyes showing him a 45 minute video of someone hand-sanding the thing :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    That is a very bendy thumb!

• Like Like x 1
  18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Choice is never a bad thing, but I can't say I like the trends the Leica T continues - proliferation of slow zoom lenses (the roadmap has 3, and just 1 prime), touchscreen in place of physical controls, lack of built-in EVF, and so forth. It seems to me that cameras like the Fuji X-E2 give much closer to a 'modern' Leica experience than this thing does.

• Like Like x 2