1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Leica summilux 25 vs Panasonic 20 1.7?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Herb, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Herb

Herb Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Are there comparison reviews of these two lenses ? One thing I notice about a lot of the images posted is that depth of field is very shallow, which one would expect shooting wide open, but a lot of the landscape shots have shallow depth of field which does not help them.
    Since most of my life I have shot LF, the fine detail obtainable in m4/3 is amazing to me.
    It would be very helpful if someone has done a comparison of these lenses.

2. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    There are good reviews on both DPREVIEW and LENSTIP. Though mostly these are technical only and not 'real world'.

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think they're both good. The 25 does 1.4 and focuses faster. The 20 is smaller and cheaper. Both are sharp. Pick which one is more important to you. :smile:

4. You know how it is; give someone a new f/1.4 lens and they'll shoot it at f/1.4 all day long. Same thing with the Oly 45mm and f/1.8. I am fairly sure however that both lenses feature fully functioning aperture mechanisms :tongue:

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010

Ahhh...the wonders of shooting at f5.6 and even f8. :eek:

6. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I read a review I can't remember where, but the 25/1.4 advantages are focuses faster, manually focuses way smother, and larger aperture, and the 20/1.7 advantages are better corner sharpness at equal apertures, closer focus, and size. I have used both and the 25mm feels far better quality, but I still prefer the 20mm lens perspective personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

7. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    I think you have it in a nutshell. The crucial two factors are focal length and size. The other factors mentioned are on the fringe for most shooters. You'd be safe considering just those two to make your decision.

M

8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    in the bhphoto thread, there's mention that the PL25 focuses faster, but not by much. This is one of the primary reasons I wanted to have it, but now I'm back on the fence. The other advantages are of just bonuses for me. Not sure if anyone else can comment on this.

Or better yet, have some comparison videos of just how different the AF is.. that'd be best because I find it tends to be a subjective matter otherwise =/

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The PL 25 does C-AF, which is a big advantage versus the S-AF only of the 20.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The 25 also stops down much sharper around f/5.6 and 8.0. The 20/1.7 peaks earlier.

11. dayou14

dayou14 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    I have both.

The PL25 gives a different pictorial quality. You can see it. You can feel it. And that is where the value is.

Bian

12. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I look at lenses 2 ways brushes and tools. I can use my 20mm like a brush to create an image where as I think of my 14-140 as a tool to capture an image. I think both the 20 and 25 are amazing lenses and it comes down to which one will create your desired end result.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

13. Grasshopper, don't look at your 14-140 as merely a tool...it can also be a brush...albeit a (relatively) freaking enormous one.

• Like Like x 1
  14. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Wow that's really poetic. I think you are in the wrong forum ;)

don't blame me, my iPhone sent this

• Like Like x 1
  15. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    You could always try both and see conclusively which you prefer and sell the the other. There is a healthy marketplace on this forum and then there is always eBay.

Your financial loss would be minimal relative to the gain you make in finding a lens that youll be really satisfied with.

:)

16. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    My 14-140 Kung-Fu is weak, I must go practice some more:dash2:

17. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    will it a be a sin to use both? i'm suspecting after i get a 45 1.8, i'll eventually succumb and end up with a 25 and keeping the 20. :confused:

18. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Personally, I'd disagree with the "not by much". I bought it mainly for faster autofocus and it definitely delivers. Subjectively, it feels as fast as the other m4/3 lenses I have that I consider fast (14-45, 14-140, 45 2.8). It did not disappoint. The 20mm was dog slow, I couldn't keep up with any action with it.

19. Z-man

Z-man Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    better balance with the PL25

I tried both at the same time, and didn't worry much about speed or IQ because they seem to be very close. For me it was more of a balance issue. I am still getting used to the smaller size of the 4/3 so the slightly longer length of lens balances better for me.

20. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    this reminds me of "which one of these is not like the other" LOL. While I certainly am not on the "45/2.8 slow AF" bandwagon, it's a bit of a stretch to put it in the HD/MSC camp. I consider the speed of the 45 and the 20 to be "satisfactory", not exceptional.