1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Leica Summilux 15mm F1.7

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ntblowz, Oct 17, 2013.

1. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    This was definitely an unexpected surprise! The focal length is a bit "weird", but then again, I like weird focal lengths. We've all used the 20mm, after all :p

Also very interesting to see that is seems all upcoming Panaleicas are keeping a physical aperture ring and manual focus switch. Distance markers would probably be more useful at this focal length, but hey, I'm not complaining.

EDIT: But again not weather-sealed. Ugh. Why is it so difficult to make a small weathersealed prime? I'd love to go to the streets with a small pancake kit and be able to shoot in the rain.

Also worth noting that panny is making a new compact 35-100 to go with the GM camera, according to the press release. Interesting!

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow what a nice surprise! So is this going to replace the 20mm 1.7 as the new standard walk around lens? Does that mean Panasonic will also do a new fast wide angle prime perhaps, like a 9mm or 10mm f/2? :wink:

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    So that's now the 7th prime from 14 to 20mm in this system - and while it might even turn out to be the best one of all......

How 'bout JUST ONE rectilinear prime from 7 to 11mm?

• Like Like x 11
  4. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I like new things... and Aperture rings also.

5. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Allow me to be the first one to say...meh.

So we have a 15 (PL), TWO 17s (O 1.8 and 2.8), a 19 (Sigma) a 20 (P), and two 25s (V and PL)...most of them excellent choices...I'd rather see the 42.5 finally get released or faster versions of existing lenses/longer focal lenghts...a 60 f1.4/1.2 or something...

6. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    This was designed to fit the height of the GM1. It is not a pancake so the new 20mm will still be desired by some. It should have fast AF and price should be less than the 25mm (~$500).

7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    ...wow....and a new compact variable aperture 35-100 to suite the new GM1. Panasonic is really supporting the GM1 big time.

Kudos Pana.

8. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Interesting focal length... not sure what to think. Currently already have the 14mm and 17mm. I'm a bit concerned it'll be a little too wide to replace the 17mm, but a little too close in focal length to the 17mm to have both.

9. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe

Yeah interesting for sure, I always thought if Pana did a PanaLeica Summilux in the wide/wide standard focal length they would either do a massive rehash of its own Pana14, give it a hell of a major overhaul and keep the traditional 28mm focal length...OR...they would take Olympus and the O17/1.8 head on.

This is neither.

Still, I've been shooting a hell of a lot lately with a 28 and 35.....30mm would be no issue at all.

10. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Hahah, well, to be fair, the 42.5 is definitely going to be released before this; it's just an announcement.

P.S. You forgot the 14mm f2.5! =P

That said, it's quite likely this will have the highest quality of the wide-normal primes wide open. Of the above, I'd consider the 20mm or the 25mm the best performers (the 20mm if you prefer sharpness, the 25mm if you prefer contrast), and given that this is a Panaleica with a smaller aperture, I'd expect top notch sharpness and contrast from the getgo.

As doujgreen mentioned above, the lens we need the most is a rectilinear wide angle prime. Although I do think it would be awesome if Panny or Oly came up with a series of f1.2 hyperfast lenses. Just a pipe dream though =P

I would also definitely categorize this as a pancake. Particularly given that the diameter should be slightly smaller than the average m4/3 lens, this looks to be almost exactly the length of the 17mm f1.8 (which though on the larger side, is still called a pancake).

Very interesting to see how Panasonic is approaching this GM1. It's almost like a new mini-system within the M4/3 system! Also, the MTF numbers on the 12-32 are looking surprisingly good. I think I'd love to get this lens and/or the new 35-100 when I'm traveling light.

• Like Like x 1
  11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think this is a bit of a late introduction into the AF prime range. The PL25 stands out with its focal length and aperture combination, but this one and the upcoming PL42.5 are questionable as we already have the P14/O17 and O45 which are all very decent and similar focal length/aperture lenses.

Of course, this is a pretty good GAS trap to get us to replace our existing adequate lenses for ones slightly better and more expensive :p

12. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    RIGHT...forgot about the 14...so we're at what...NINE lenses total in the 14 to 25 range...yikes!

I'm sure it'll be an excellent lens...But it seems like they're really shoe-horning themselves into the area where it's easy to make an excellent lens (we all know the 28 to 50mm equivalent length is the easiest one to perfect), and ignoring the other ends of the spectrum. How about a 100 f2...or ANY 40 to 100mm REALLY fast lens? I was hoping they'd continue the 42.5 f1.2 thinking and give us longer/faster lenses...

13. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Do we have any other info about the 35-100mm besides focal length? Like do we know what aperture it maybe, or if it's a powerzoom? Also is there a link to the lens specs of the 12-32mm?

Anyone want to guess the price on this, or if this may replace the 14mm or not? If the price is right, I may drop the 14mm in favor of this.

14. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Well, I do think it fills an important role. The 14mm f2.5 is nice, but still a little slow and not an amazing performer, while the 20mm f1.7 is great, but a lot of people complain it's slow to focus. The 17mm f1.8 is good but not super impressive optically. So I still think it offers something unique, even if panasonic could have come out with something more complementary to the current range of lenses.

Most reasonably though, this lens was designed for the GM1s size.

I do kind of agree with you, although we are also expecting a 150mm f2.8 prime at some point(as well as the 150 f2.8 by oly), which I'd argue is more important than a 100mm f2 with the 75mm f1.8 being available. Still votin for the ultrawide rectilinear :p

15. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Nope, they only vaguely mentioned it in the release for the 15mm. I'd imagine it would be something like a 3.5/4-5.6 though.

Specs of the 12-32 are here:
    http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/lens/g_vario_12_32.html

More importantly though, this lens is very sharp for most of the frame. This is at 25mm and 5.6:

http://img01.quesabesde.com/media/img/noti/0062/gm1_200iso.jpg

From here: http://www.quesabesde.com/noticias/panasonic-lumix-gm1-analisis-fotos-muestras-video_11008

16. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    I agree with a lot of the posters who are asking for a very wide angle prime ... an 8mm f/2.8 rectilinear prime would be magnificent. 90% of the time I reckon most people use the 7-14 or the 9-18 at there widest anyway.

Still, I don't mind 28mm on FF, and I bet this one will be amazing.

Great to see they are going support the GM with some new small lenses too like the 35-100 they mention.

17. wjiang

I'd be happy with even an f/4 rectilinear UWA prime...

18. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    I think there`s also Voigtlander 17,5 mm f/0,95 in that focal range.

19. wjiang

The V's are kind of special though, being big, heavy, MF lenses, rather than these other small, light(ish), AF lenses.