Leica SummicronDR 35mm on GF-1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jimevidon, Sep 6, 2010.

1. jimevidon

jimevidon Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    I have a GF-1 on order and will be buying a Leica M to M43 lens adapter.
    Has anyone tried to fit the Leica SummicronDR 35mm on a GF-1?

I ask this because the DR lens has a barrel protrusion that goes into the body.
    Obviously it works on the film Leica M bodies for which it is designed, but will not fit my Zeiss Ikon Z1 RF film body. How about on the Panny GF-1? I don't want to destroy the sensor on my first try.:eek:

Please advise.

Jim

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I use mine sometimes but I put a strip of Teflon tape on the barrel so it won't go into the sensor. It works fine. Of course the bug eyes ya don't need.

3. jimevidon

jimevidon Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Perhaps I misunderstand. If you put the tape on the lip of the barrel, won't the tape risk hitting the sensor? Where do you put the tape on the barrel?

4. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Put the tape on the barrel just under the bottom of the lens head....
    That way you can't get it to retract all the way..... an old guy showed me this trick but he used a rubber band....

5. jimevidon

jimevidon Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    What do you call the lens head? I am unfamiliar with that term

6. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I'm unfamiliar with it to but how else to describe it...
    There's the base of the lens where it attaches to the camera...then there's the barrel...then there's the lens head....hmmmm, wonder if Leica sees it that way....

You got some good answers at RFF.....

7. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I am a little confused as to why a collapsible lens should be an issue - since the film plane in the Leica cameras should be the same distance as the sensor in the Micro 4/3 cameras from the lens mount. If the lens does not touch the film why should it touch the sensor?

8. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    It probably won't touch but I'm old and do things old school ways.

9. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Leica did not make a 35mm focal length lens in a dual-range mount. They did make 35mm Summarons and Summicrons with "eyes" for use on the M3. They look like the DR goggles, but provide a different function.

On collapsing lenses: the light baffles, diameter of the throat, and placement of the shutter can be different from the original cameras that the lens was made to collapse on. For example: I cannot collapse a Summicron 5cm F2 on a Canon P.

10. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
  11. jimevidon

jimevidon Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Brian S.,
    You are correct. The DR is a 50mm. But I'm not talking about a collapsible lens. The Summicron DR is not collapsible. Here was my concern. The DR lens barrel sticks into the body more than others. It cannot be used on the M8 because it will hit the interior of the body and maybe the shutter curtain. I do use it on my M4P film camera, a configuration for which it was made.
    My concern on the Lumix GF1 was that it might hit the sensor or internal body part like it would on the Leica M8. Even on my Zeiss Ikon Z1, while it fits, it will not go to infinity because the lens barrel hits a stop of some sort inside the camera body.

According to the responses i have had on this thread, there is no interference on the GF1 and it can be used. That is what this was all about and has nothing to do with collapsible lenses which is another subject altogether.
    Jim

12. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Narnian asked about collapsing lenses on cameras, I wanted to address that concern as well.

I would not expect the extension on the DR to be so great as to not to work with an M-Mount adapter. There is not much in them. If some vendor decided to get fancy with interior light baffles, or something to address the crop factor, a problem "could" occur. It certainly would not happen with the M-Mount adapter that I have.

On the M8- the problem is the throat of the camera, behind the mount. Some use the lens in the extended position. My solution would be to buy a Type 1 Rigid Summicron with bad optics and to transplant the optics cell. The optics cell is identical between the Type 1 Rigid and the DR Summicron. It simply nscrews from the focus mount.

13. jimevidon

jimevidon Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    I received my Metabones adapter and tried my various prime lenses on the GF1. The
    Leica DR Summicron f2.0 50mm fit nicely and yields very sharp high contrast images.
    Thanks for the comments.
    Jim