Leica summicron-C 40mm f2 or Voigtlander 40mm 1.4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by chefpush, Jun 8, 2010.

1. chefpush

chefpush Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2010
    NYC
    I found both online at about the same price. Any opinion on which on to get?
    I read some comparison that leica is sharper and has more contrast but Nokton is f1.4.
    My roommate's dad is visiting and he brought 2 leica bodies and 3 lenses. I try the leica lenses and they are beyond my imagination. Very sharp. Beautiful color and nice contrast. The photos I got need no post processing. JPEG out of E-P1 is too beautiful to retouch.

So I'm looking for a leica lens of mine. Summicron-c and Nokton are in my affordable range and it's good to start with them before I dig deeper into Leica's world.

Any thought?

2. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Are you going to get a Film or Digital Leica to also use the lenses on, or will this be u4/3rds format only?

I have the Summicron, just put some pictures of with it on the adapted lens forum. It is a fine lens, and goes great with a Leica CL. Makes a nice, fast portrait lens on the EP2.

I would be torn if I had to choose between it and the Nokton.

3. chefpush

chefpush Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2010
    NYC
    I'll only use it on m43. I dont see myself being able to use manual film in the near future yet.

4. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    You are paying a premium for a full-frame lens with an RF cam. The size is a nice match for a u4/3rds camera, but again at a premium.

5. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I'm going to make a suggestion, based on using the 40mm lens with a u4/3rds camera.

With the 2x crop factor, you get center performance from a lens made for a 35mm camera. It is the sweet spot.

I would suggest the Konica 40/1.8. Much less expensive than either that you are looking at, and small in size. With the adapter, it will be ~1/4th (or less) the cost as the m-Mount lens with adapter.

I have one of those too...

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    You might also look at the M-Rokkor 40mm f2, it's as good as the Leica equivalent, but often a lot cheaper. I have one and it's a beautiful lens.

Cheers

Ray

7. chefpush

chefpush Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2010
    NYC
    @ Brian S

How different is the sharpness of Hexanon 40 1.8 and Summicron-c? I tried Hexanon once and found that it was hazy at f1.8. F2.8 is ok. Summicron-c costs around $400. Do you think sharpness is not worth the price? I just like to have something that looks good at f2.

I've looked for Rokkor 40mm. Only found one with camera for $800.

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  9. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    My 40/1.8 is sharp enough, I have only used it with the Konica SLR. Certainly not hazy! With these older lenses, condition means a lot. Internal haze can ruin the images from a lens. Mine is mint, and performed quite well. There are some threads with the Konica 40/1.8 on the forum. Worth taking a look.

I'll add a Konica adapter, but have a lot of Leica, Contax, and Nikon Mount lenses to go through first.

10. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
  11. chefpush

chefpush Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2010
    NYC
    Here are what I got with Hexanon 40mm 1.8
    At 1.8
    4683849799_74e967a34c_b.
    At 2.8
    4683849993_7493d3f55e_b.

F1.8 the picture is hazy or has ghosting.
    At 2.8, the picture looks sharp.

Here is Leica summicron 50mm at f2
    4683860883_42156b3f33_b.

No post-process on all pics.
    I can't help but loving the sharpness of Leica at f2.

12. benbammens

benbammens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2010
    I have the same problem with my 40 1.8 wide open... So I guess it's not just a bad copy...

13. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I will have to check mine more closely- but have never seen ghosting like that. It can happen from internal haze in a lens, and a misaligned element. With that stated, the Nokton and Summicron-C are sharper.

I had my type 2 Rigid Summicron on the EP2 yesterday, and it is quite sharp. Makes a nice portrait lens. I have not tried the type 1 Rigid on it yet.

I have used both on the M8:
    Zeiss User Forums - Brian's Album: Type 1 Rigid and Type 2 Rigid Summicron

14. martook

martook New to Mu-43

Jun 10, 2010
    I've got two Konicas, and I have the same problem wide open:

http://imgur.com/7ZjQJ.jpg

What's really annoying is that it only permits full stops, perhaps closed down to 2.0 or so would have been better, because at 2.8 it's quite nice as you can see.

A CV 40mm 1.4 should arrive any day now, I'll post my results with that here.

I have to say though, the horrible CA is present in almost all my fast normal lenses, even my C/Y Zeiss 50mm lenses... I do have one cheap 50 that is a lot better though. The problem wasn't as bad on my old Canon 20D, at least I don't think so, anyone knows if this is something due to the m43 design, or just because of the high pixel pitch?

15. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I'm looking at a Minolta Hi-Matic E with a 40/1.7 lens on it very sharp. Electronics are dead. I've seen other Fixed-Lens RF's (dead) tunred into u4/3rds lenses before. There has to be a way...