Leica repair...?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by kadamnation, Mar 1, 2014.

1. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Apologies if this has been hashed out before, but a question for the group:

I just received my mother's M3 as a gift, (hooray!) but after shooting a couple of rolls I've found that something's wrong with the film feed/retract mechanism—it tore into the film in some places and isn't rewinding properly in others. I'd like to get it professionally serviced or refurbished, but don't know where to look.

Can any of y'all recommend either a good Leica/rangefinder forum where I could get experienced recommendations; or else if any of you have such experience, recommendations of your own? I'm in Boston, so if I can't find a good option my backup plan is to hike down to NYC and see whether the folks in the Leica store there have any opinions.

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    the leica repair centre for the US is in New Jersey

Leica repair service
    Your Leica product requires servicing or repair? Contact our Leica repair service. Here your Leica product will undergo professional servicing or repair with original Leica spare parts.

Address:
    Leica Camera Inc.
    1 Pearl Ct, Unit A
    Allendale, New Jersey 07401
    Phone:
    800-222-0118 x 19930
    Fax:
    201-995-1686
    E-mail:
    repair@leicacamerausa.com

there is a sister site to this forum

http://www.leicaplace.com

also

http://www.rangefinderforum.com

and

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/

K

3. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Try the 'Rangefinder Forum' - plenty of Leica users there.

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Unfortunately, my hole in the wall camera repair shop that did all my Leica work closed after the Hurricane Sandy floods... too much damage and the owners were close to retirement age.

I've heard these guys are good...

http://www.stevecamera.com/

I will try them on my next repair need. Leica USA is near my work. I have used them in the past. A few of the items ended up going to Germany for repair which lengthened the time and cost.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You might check with Hunt's. They're fairly local and although I doubt they would repair it themselves, they would know if there's anybody in the area that does.

6. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Leica overhaul aren't exactly cheap, but you will get the best film experience out ther with your M3 and a 50mm lens!

7. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Thank you all for the advice. I'll ask around on those forums, and whatever I go with I'll try to follow-up with the results!

8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Sherry Krauter, Don Goldberg or the mother ship. PM me if you get any local references because you may want to hear about my experiences before you use one of the local people.

9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I can only imagine how much a CLA is on an M body these days, let alone a repair. And is DAG (Don Goldberg) still doing repairs?

--Ken

10. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I sent my M6 to Leica's NJ facility for repair (frameline selector was stuck) and CLA, at the end of last year, and it cost me $525. The work order listed the following; repair frame selection, adjust shutter speeds, clean / adjust break, adjust shutter release, adjust R/F, clean R/F and V/F, replace photo-cell, repair light meter, repair take up spool, replace leatherette and CLA all functions.

They essentially rebuilt my M6. I bought my M6 used at the low end of the price range so I was expecting to have to send it in at some point. My only regret is that I didn't upgrade the RF as part of the work / repairs, under certain conditions the focusing patch on the M6 can be difficult to see.