1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Leica R, Contax/Yashica shooters: SpeedBooster MFT adapter is now available

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by McBob, May 22, 2013.

1. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    Disclaimer: I'm not associated with MetaBones in any way. Not that I wouldn't mind if they're interested...

anyway...

Some of you may have heard of the MetaBones SpeedBooster focal reducer adapter. Short story of the concept, it makes use of the "dead space" in SLR-to-mirrorless lens adapters to add focal reduction optics that lead to a ~0.7x focal length reduction and a ~1-stop speed increase - rather like an inverse teleconverter. In other words, an inexpensive 50/2 suddenly effectively becomes a ~35/1.4. Reviews of these adapters with NEX cameras has been generally positive.

Anyway, at long last, the MFT-Leica R and MFT-C/Y Speedbooster adapters are now available.
    Micro 4/3 System : Leica R Lens to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster

With a nice set of R primes, I'll be ordering one after a few more invoices are received this month. Word is that many other adapters are planned, notably including Nikon, OM, and a fully electronic Canon EF version.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Should be an interesting addition for the legacy lens crowd. Personally, I think the most compelling choices would be:
    24/1.4 -> 17.5/1.0 (slight wide)
    35/1.4 -> 25/1.0 (normal)
    85/1.4 -> 61.2/1.0 (long portrait)

The nice thing about the Canon EF version is that it will accept all the other lenses so far mentioned, if you have the proper EF-whatever adapter. Sort of a universal mount.

Also note that Mitakon is now making a $200 adapter with similar properties for NEX. Optics are likely not as good, but it is coming to m4/3 eventually, so especially for video it may be worth looking out for.

3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    On the fast telephoto side, Canon and Nikon's 135mm f/2 lenses would become 96mm f/1.4's...which would give a true equivalent to FF 200mm f/2.8's and two stops faster that the fastest 100mm μ43 currently has available.

If someone took the time to make adapters to Alpa mount (which is aalready available for the NEX speedbooster), then any SLR lens could be used--including Konica Hexanon's with its too short for EF flange distance:

Hexanon 57mm f/1.2 = 40.5mm f/.85 (A nice, fast short portrait lens)
    Hexanon 40mm f/1.8 = 28.5mm f/1.2 (A nice, fast, long "normal")

4. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    Apparently MetaBones advises against using adapters in tandem with their SB adapters, likely because:
    a) they precision-craft the optics for each lens type
    b) plain metal adapters may potentially short out one of their electronic adapters

Will I eventually get an EF Speedbooster and a little swatch of electrical tape to try out with my EOS-whatever adapters anyway? You betcha!

But in the meantime, my LR's are special enough to deserve their own SpeedBooster. Should yield me:

"Summicron-20"
    "Noctilux-25"
    Elmarit-28
    Summilux-35
    "Summilux-35," several ounces lighter - it'll be interesting to show these two side-by-side
    Summicron-50
    "Summilux-64"
    Summicron-90

hoping the added element doesnt mess too much with the look of these lenses, which is really what draws me to them vs. their speed

5. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    The Elmarit-R 28mm needs modification to be used with the SB. I am extremely tempted to get it, will have to contain myself for now.

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I had read somewhere else that the corrective .71X optics were designed for the APS sensor (1.4 crop factor) . So .71x there gives the original field of view. Using similar optics on an M43 sensor with its 2X crop factor, you get a 1.42X final multiplication. Correct me if this is wrong.

It would have to be a .35X conversion to make a 50 mm have the look of a 35mm on M43.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's right, if you want to compare lens + SB on m4/3 to full frame.

I think what the OP was saying was that a 50/2 + SB gives you the equivalent of a 35/1.4 on m4/3. Which is the same as a 70/2.8 on full-frame.

8. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    OK. I see now what you're all saying.

9. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    Yep. On the Elmarit-28 and Summicron-50, there's a small protruding lip on the collar of the rear element that must be removed. Both apprehensive and excited to take a jeweler's saw or dremel to a pair of my LR's

The reduction factor is the same (0.71x), but there are a few posts in various places showing that the optics definitely aren't the same - they put some time into these, and hopefully that shows with a distinct lack of aberrations.

Whenever computing what reducers or extenders will yield on a lens, I generally always leave out the sensor - the modifier changes the lens, not the camera.

10. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    C/Y adapter arrived this morning. Performance is excellent.

I think the multiplication is closer to x1.5 - yashica 28mm seems to give (from a hand-held test) a slightly tighter frame than panny 20mm.

11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I'm sure people would love to see some sample shots!

12. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I wonder how much of this is valid, vs trying to sell people a different adapter for each type of lens. Or maybe something in between..

13. svenkarma

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Ok, here's a before and after, excuse the mess. Camera is a gf-3, lens is a yashica ml 28/2.8. Both taken with AWB at 1/80, 160 iso, f4 (possibly f2.8, of course I forgot as soon as I made a mental note to remember, d'oh.) Saved unaltered as jpeg in LR. LR Autotone wanted to +1.9 unadapted image exposure and -0.5 speedboosted.

normal:

P1030618.jpg

with speedbooster:

P1030616.jpg

and a speedboosted horse:

P10306881.jpg

14. bebel

bebel New to Mu-43

Jun 8, 2013
    hello,

May I ask if the C/Y version would be suitable for M42 lenses with an additional adapter? Addionally, what types of old lenses can be used with this one, or, which version should I but where I can use most types?

Does the flange distance count here? M42 is almost the same as C/Y but with other mounts there are larger differences.

I don't want to wait for the EF version because I'm only using manual lenses.

thank you for your answer!

(I asked their support also but they haven't answered yet.)

15. svenkarma

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Since they don't cost much, I have ordered an m42 adapter and will let you know what happens.

16. svenkarma

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans