Leica r adapters

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jeff Bennett, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Jeff Bennett

Jeff Bennett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Does anyone know if the adapters for these lenses work on all the versions? I inherited 21,35,50, and 135 leica r lenses with an old leicaflex. I see there are 1,2,and 3 cam versions of the lenses and I don't know if that effects the actual mount or just some electronic functions of the camera. This is the oldest leicaflex it seems so I assume these are the oldest 1 cam lenses. None of the adapters mention any difference in the mounts so I'm guessing all is good. At least I hope so since I just ordered one.
  2. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    I have a great Leica R 180mm f2.8 and fitted it with an obscure adaptor of Chinese origins [from the UK]. Cost was about 3x more than the cheapest available — the really cheap adaptors can be dodgy if you plan long-term use with much swapping of lenses. Good luck.
  3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I have an R to 4/3 mount that fits them all. Basically, the 2nd and 3rd Cams added maximum aperture coupling and body to aperture control (for the R4 and beyond) by mechanical linkages, so there is no reason for any adapter to engage the cams. I have a cheapo (7 bucks) R to Micro 4/3 adapter arriving in the mail whenever it shows up from China, so we'll see how that works.
  4. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    The only one I know that has certain issues is the Metabones Speedbooster version, as rear protrusions on some lenses can interfere with the adapter's reduction optics.