1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Leica M43 body is coming!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by ntblowz, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    The link actually says that Panasonic will provide cameras to Leica. Sort of like Leica lending its name to Panasonic for some of its lenses.

It's not like Leica engineers will actually be designing a new m43 camera. Or at least that's the way I read it.

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    All the dlux cams are rebranded pannys already...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd rather see Panasonic and Leica team up to develop a full frame AF mirrorless camera to combat the Sony/Zeiss combo. I trust Panasonic way more on the lens front.

• Like Like x 2
  4. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    Probably a re-badged GM1.

Would be great for Leica to join the M43 community with a camera of their own ... even if it's a panasonic in disguise as they already do.

5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    This would be interesting only if Panny and Leica jointly develops a high end model. Otherwise rebadged cameras are a waste of time.

6. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    They have been doing this (re-badging) for a while with Panasonic, but if this is an M43 camera it makes it kind of interesting. I don't think Leica have ever had a different mount other than their own.

7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Sounds to me more like Leica's red dot logo is coming to M4/3

8. There was a Leica branded 4/3 DSLR based on the Panasonic L1. I think it was called the Digilux 2 or 3. As with their other rebrandings the main difference was the price.

• Like Like x 1
  9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    GX7 would be the logical choice. Got the Leica "rangefinder" look with the eve. Decent specs.

Gordon

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, I would hope that any new model be at an least evolutionary improvement, if not more.

11. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    Would be great if it was the GX7, but I can't help but think the new GM1 & the upcoming 15/1.7 PL are linked somehow. They'd really be jumping in to M43 if it was the GX7 though.

12. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    If Leica is adopting an m43 ILC for its own branding, perhaps we might even get some more Leica lenses? Leica could be using m43 as its 'aps-c' platform. Maybe even come with its own m39-m43 adapter :)

13. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    A rebadged GM1 with the new Pana-Leica 15/1.7 as the kit lens makes perfect sense (under Leica logic).

• Like Like x 1
  14. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    and what does leica bring to this party again? yeah, nothin'. they excel at two things: rangefinder cameras and lenses. well, this aint gonna be a RF camera; they already made m4/3 lenses...so seems to me they got nothin'.

15. gollum14

gollum14 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2013
    UK
    Martin Davey
    You watch it sell ;)

16. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    That'd be nice. I hate the look of the GX7 grip, even though it's a great grip from a usability standpoint. Leica would likely get rid of the grip.

17. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's good publicity, but I don't see why it would make any difference to people who actually take photographs. Paying 50%+ more for a camera with identical innards simply to get a red dot on it seems rather a waste.

18. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    They bring lots of red dots to put on cameras all over the place, at $300 to $500 per dot. OTOH, at least if it's badged a Leica with a red dot, I'm sure we'll be able to get it in black.

• Like Like x 1