Leica M vs Leica R

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Gwendal, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Currently doing a bit of windowlicking... Looks like Leica lenses are very expensive, while their R mount counterparts are much more affordable - has anyone here experience with R mount lenses on M43 ? I have seen adapters exist ; I expect R mount lenses to be much bigger and heavier, but apart from that - any dos and don'ts, caveats, reasons why I'm asking a stupid question ? thanks !
  2. amoebahydra

amoebahydra Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010

I am using both Leica M and R systems, except the lenses are more bulky I don't think these R lenses are in what way inferior to its M counterparts. In fact, I use R system most often than M system.

I use either a M to M4/3 adapter with a Noveflex R to M adapter or a Olympus 4/3 to M4/3 adapter with Leica R to M adapter in adapting R lenses to my Lumix G-1 camera...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/amoebahydra/5029847194/" title="Flickr 上 amoebahydra 的 Pan G-1 Leica R 80-14 b">[​IMG]"1024" height="713" alt="Pan G-1 Leica R 80-14 b" /></a>
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    The telephoto lenses are optically the same, M-Mount lenses tend to run more as the mount is more complex and the M8 and M9 keep prices up. The R-Mount wide-angle lenses are retrofocus design, tend to be physically bigger than the M-Mount counterpart. The 50mm lenses are comparable.
  4. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The humble Summicron 50/2 R is one of my favorite MF lenses on the GH1, very easy to focus and excellent results from wide open. And it's not overly huge either, just a great combo.

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Back in the day, the R lenses got a bad rap. It was said that they weren't up to par to the M lenses. After the heat settled down it was found that the issue wasn't the lenses, it was the R bodies. I had 2 R4Sp's and the mirror slap caused the issue.
    Of course now with m43 it's not an issue at all...
    The Leica's were the only SLR's I truly loved.
    The lenses are excellent.
    Enjoy, ya can't go wrong!
  6. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Well - that's the one I just took - the danger with windowlicking : do it when the shop is closed, or you'll end up inside. Thanks all for the advice !