Leica M vs Leica R

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Gwendal, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Currently doing a bit of windowlicking... Looks like Leica lenses are very expensive, while their R mount counterparts are much more affordable - has anyone here experience with R mount lenses on M43 ? I have seen adapters exist ; I expect R mount lenses to be much bigger and heavier, but apart from that - any dos and don'ts, caveats, reasons why I'm asking a stupid question ? thanks !

2. amoebahydra

amoebahydra Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010

I am using both Leica M and R systems, except the lenses are more bulky I don't think these R lenses are in what way inferior to its M counterparts. In fact, I use R system most often than M system.

I use either a M to M4/3 adapter with a Noveflex R to M adapter or a Olympus 4/3 to M4/3 adapter with Leica R to M adapter in adapting R lenses to my Lumix G-1 camera...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/amoebahydra/5029847194/" title="Flickr 上 amoebahydra 的 Pan G-1 Leica R 80-14 b"> 5029847194_e69f2c0113_b.jpg "1024" height="713" alt="Pan G-1 Leica R 80-14 b" /></a>

• Like Like x 2
  3. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    The telephoto lenses are optically the same, M-Mount lenses tend to run more as the mount is more complex and the M8 and M9 keep prices up. The R-Mount wide-angle lenses are retrofocus design, tend to be physically bigger than the M-Mount counterpart. The 50mm lenses are comparable.

4. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    The humble Summicron 50/2 R is one of my favorite MF lenses on the GH1, very easy to focus and excellent results from wide open. And it's not overly huge either, just a great combo.

Stefan

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Back in the day, the R lenses got a bad rap. It was said that they weren't up to par to the M lenses. After the heat settled down it was found that the issue wasn't the lenses, it was the R bodies. I had 2 R4Sp's and the mirror slap caused the issue.
    Of course now with m43 it's not an issue at all...
    The Leica's were the only SLR's I truly loved.
    The lenses are excellent.
    Enjoy, ya can't go wrong!

6. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Well - that's the one I just took - the danger with windowlicking : do it when the shop is closed, or you'll end up inside. Thanks all for the advice !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.