1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Leica M on Sony Nex

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by arpoador, Jun 24, 2010.

1. You've probably already seen the article, that the sonyalpharumors site linked to:
    Google Translate

Then there's the dramatic increase in mirrorless sales in Japan, from about 20% to 30% of market share:
    Olympus and Panasonic rumors Blog Archive Mirrorless cameras share in Japan up to 30%!

I suspect legacy lenses are about to get a lot more expensive!

---

On an unrelated note, after reading a lot of googletranslated sites, I've come to incorporate Maikurofosazu (µ4/3) and Maikurofosazukamera into my my vocabulary. Now I get a new one: I'm an Orudorenzufan (presumably, old lens fan). :)

2. CalebPhotographer

CalebPhotographer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Florida
    I sure hope they don't :(

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I had a chance to hold the nex a few nights ago at a local shop. I wasn't impressed - if you think the e-pl1 is aiming for the p&s crowd, it doesn't hold a candle to the nex cameras in that respect! Button changing the shutter and aperture I can handle, but a virtual mode dial? no thanks. I was trying out the dumbed down aperture changing on the virtual wheel - on one end is says blurred, the other crisp - blurred had the aperture wide open while, you guessed it, crisp had the aperture stopped down to f22 - not exactly optimal for 'crisp' shots.

The one appealing thing is the 16mm prime lens - when will m4/3 be getting a compact 12mm?!

4. I'm with you. The Nex is really cool industrial design, but I don't have the slightest desire to own one.

My point was more about the competition us Orudorenzufans will soon be facing from the lesser mirrorless cameras (Samsung and Sony).

5. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Perhaps you could explain the reasons as to why you consider these cameras 'lesser' ?

6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I think it is safe to define lesser in terms of relative market share, as well as overall system options (number of different bodies and lenses for each of the respective mounts).

7. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    I'm not surprised that a leica M adapter came out for Sony nex, given that the body is so thin. Willing to stick with my E-PL1 though - very keen to try out the Voigtlander 50/1.1 sitting next to it but the adapter hasn't shipped yet :(

The nex is appealing due to the larger sensor (and therefore suitability to leica m glass) and better high ISO performance - however we'll have to see what controls I end up fiddling with on the E-PL1 and if they're easily accessible on the nex - from what I hear, the Sony's menu is a chore

8. weak humor

My apologies - I certainly did not mean to offend anyone, let alone start up a flame war.

Since this is a µ4/3 forum, I thought I would make a joke suggesting the other competitive cameras were somehow "lesser". I actually thought the somewhat archaic grammatical construction I used would make the humor obvious.

I failed.

Back to the point, though, I think overall this is a great trend for the market, and helps validate the trend toward legacy lenses, fast primes, etc. that is so evident in this forum. The cost, of course, is that more people are likely to be competing for these lenses.

9. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I wasn't offended, I was curious as to why you said what you did.

I agree with you about where the market is heading. Its a very healthy trend and I've certainly taken full advantage of these smaller, lighter cameras. I use 2 x m4/3 cameras and the Samsung NX10 and am extremely pleased with the results I get from them.

I do think though, that legacy lens users are a small minority of the users of these cameras, and likely to remain so. I wouldn't be too worried about supply dwindling or prices going up. I suspect that theres enough to go round!