Leica M Noctilux 50mm F1

RobWatson

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
a few taken with the e-P1 using the girlfriends noctilux

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Night Bell by kevinparis, on Flickr

Happy Meal by kevinparis, on Flickr

Across a crowded room by kevinparis, on Flickr

Art is **** by kevinparis, on Flickr

and a set on the E-M1… just to check focus peaking

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/sets/72157636126623193/

PA020009 by kevinparis, on Flickr

PA020036 by kevinparis, on Flickr

a very nice lens… though i like the 75/1.4 summilux better

Eat on the Go by kevinparis, on Flickr

K

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Never had anyone simply "found" a bunch a Leica lenses... much less a Noctilux. Lol. I have a picture in my mind of a pile of Leica glass thrown behind the shredder and forgotten.

Mine has not had too much use on micro 4/3rds.

On a Panasonic G1

On a Olympus E-PL1

I have a few more taken when a niece of mine was performing onstage with G1; Those turned out pretty nice given how dark it was in the hall. However, the combination isn't really ideal. Big, heavy, slow long focus lens on a small body. I found the noctilux f1 works much nicer on a full frame (M9 in my case) as it was intended to preserve its character.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I sold all my M mount lenses because I couldn't effectively manually focus them anymore, unless the subject was an inanimate object. To be brutally honest, the OP's first photo isn't in focus and reflects why I sold all of my lenses.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I would surmise that the shallow DOF and the extra incoming light would actually help contrast based AF systems perform better. On the flip side the elements tend to be bigger so how fast might be impacted by how well designed/matched the AF motors. I am not really sure.

From a rangefinder system for which the Noctilux is designed, the issue isn't focusing. Its pretty easy actually since all you do is line up the patches. The issue is how well calibrated the Noctilux is to the rangefinder mechanism in the camera, the long focus throw, and how well the photographer knows to compensate during recomposition.

Few samples on the leicaplace sister site.

http://www.leicaplace.com/showthread.php?t=61

iGonzoid

Mu-43 Veteran
I always lusted after a Noctilux in my analogue days — still have an M3. But in m4/3, I have found that the Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95 is manageable for manual focus in most situations — but not for active kids. But also having ageing eyes, so I have also splurged on the Nocticron 42.5mm f1.2 and am delighted with its performance all round. The AF is instant and the IS is great on my GH-2.
I sold a Voigtlander 50mm f1.1 in M mount to score the Nocticron. It was a fantastic performer, but the 1m closest focus was a limitation compared with the Nokton 25's 1:4 close-focus ration. Add a couple of extension tubes and you are rocking in a very strange zone. Just my 5c on Noctilux alternatives for those of us who haven't had such finds. Lucky guy.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom