Leica M Noctilux 50mm F1

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by RobWatson, Jun 7, 2014.

1. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Found some Leica lenses sitting in a pile at work ...

Swapped out the M to MFT adapter and slapped it onto the E-M5 and away we go! Focus is pretty tricky up close ...

That Leica Look
    • Like Like x 3
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    a few taken with the e-P1 using the girlfriends noctilux

[​IMG]Night Bell by kevinparis, on Flickr

[​IMG]Happy Meal by kevinparis, on Flickr

[​IMG]Across a crowded room by kevinparis, on Flickr

[​IMG]Art is **** by kevinparis, on Flickr

and a set on the E-M1… just to check focus peaking

[​IMG]PA020009 by kevinparis, on Flickr

[​IMG]PA020036 by kevinparis, on Flickr

a very nice lens… though i like the 75/1.4 summilux better

[​IMG]Eat on the Go by kevinparis, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Never had anyone simply "found" a bunch a Leica lenses... much less a Noctilux. Lol. I have a picture in my mind of a pile of Leica glass thrown behind the shredder and forgotten.

Mine has not had too much use on micro 4/3rds.

On a Panasonic G1

On a Olympus E-PL1

I have a few more taken when a niece of mine was performing onstage with G1; Those turned out pretty nice given how dark it was in the hall. However, the combination isn't really ideal. Big, heavy, slow long focus lens on a small body. I found the noctilux f1 works much nicer on a full frame (M9 in my case) as it was intended to preserve its character.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. RobWatson

Also found 2 Summicron-R 35mm F2 (one NIB) and will be putting that on my speedbooster.
  5. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    wish i could find a noctilux at work... all i find is MORE WORK!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I sold all my M mount lenses because I couldn't effectively manually focus them anymore, unless the subject was an inanimate object. To be brutally honest, the OP's first photo isn't in focus and reflects why I sold all of my lenses.
  7. RobWatson

Yes, manual focus at F1 is hard ... how well does AF work at F1? I don't have any AF lenses in the F0.95 - F1.2 regime (like I do have manual lenses) to compare.
  8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would surmise that the shallow DOF and the extra incoming light would actually help contrast based AF systems perform better. On the flip side the elements tend to be bigger so how fast might be impacted by how well designed/matched the AF motors. I am not really sure.

From a rangefinder system for which the Noctilux is designed, the issue isn't focusing. Its pretty easy actually since all you do is line up the patches. The issue is how well calibrated the Noctilux is to the rangefinder mechanism in the camera, the long focus throw, and how well the photographer knows to compensate during recomposition.

Few samples on the leicaplace sister site.

• Like Like x 1
  9. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    I always lusted after a Noctilux in my analogue days — still have an M3. But in m4/3, I have found that the Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95 is manageable for manual focus in most situations — but not for active kids. But also having ageing eyes, so I have also splurged on the Nocticron 42.5mm f1.2 and am delighted with its performance all round. The AF is instant and the IS is great on my GH-2.
    I sold a Voigtlander 50mm f1.1 in M mount to score the Nocticron. It was a fantastic performer, but the 1m closest focus was a limitation compared with the Nokton 25's 1:4 close-focus ration. Add a couple of extension tubes and you are rocking in a very strange zone. Just my 5c on Noctilux alternatives for those of us who haven't had such finds. Lucky guy.