1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Leica M lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by CarlB, Aug 22, 2012.

1. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Suggestions welcome: something "Leica" (or a similarly great lens) to use now on an E-M5, and sometime down the road on an M8. So the mount needs to be correct for the M8, M9, etc.

Strategy is to get the lens now, which I can enjoy now, and wait for M8 body prices to drop a bit further while I save up for it.

Ideas? Looking for something that will perhaps help to get a bit of the "Leica feel" (if there is such a thing) into how I approach shooting.

Thinking of something upwards of $1k. But as I get up there, I start thinking "what about the Oly 75mm 1.8?" Heh! Two different animals for sure, either would be really nice for different reasons.

Thanks!

2. kchau

kchau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    Seattle
    call me crazy when i say this.

But it is almost infinitely better to buy m4/3 lenses now, and when you get scrounge up the money to buy a Leica, Sell the m4/3 lenses to buy M-mount lenses.

If history has anything to say about that, I bought my Canon 50mm f1.4 Brand new for $300 2 years ago, and I sold it for the exact same amount, due to the new price being $340 now.

You will enjoy your E-M5 much more with the lenses designed for it.

If you really want the leica feel, buy a voigtlander.

3. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    My only comment on this is that Leica M glass has been going up steadily in price over the last few years. I don't necessarily feel like the lenses are justified on this system, although I'm really looking forward to using my brother in-law's M collection here shortly. However, if you can afford some of the Leica M glass beyond the entry level stuff, you can afford an M8/M9.

4. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks, both.

I *almost* can afford an M8 body. I figure they'll come down a bit further (they're now a range +/- of $2k). I figure the lens will hold value better, so to get into the system, get a lens sooner and enjoy that for now.

Certainly couldn't afford a body and a lens both right now. :rolleyes:  But space it out, and save for both, that I can do.

I try to think about aperture, shutter, ISO, depth of field, along with composition. Sometimes, my cameras get in the way of what I'd like to do with those. I gather the Leicas are superb to help think enjoyably in those terms. That's worth a lot to me.

And if there's something a bit neat about a chunk of glass as used on one of those Leica bodies, I'm in for that.

5. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi Carl,

I second and third the comments already shared: buy the lenses that are designed for M 4/3. Several are easily the equal of the Leica glass you're considering. I own Leica M glass myself but rarely if ever bother to adapt them for use on my OM-D or PEN cameras.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.