Leica M lens for vintage portrait look

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TexChappy, Jul 7, 2012.

1. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    So what would your choice be for a Leica M-mount lens to mount on my E-M5 to give me a nice creamy portrait lens?
  2. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    I have several Leica M lenses and none of them performs better as a portrait lens on my Panasonic G3 than the Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8.

Don't waste your money. :wink:
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My first choice would be the 1950's Summicron 50mm f/2 but I haven't used on micro 4/3. Its essentially lives on my M3 full time as its standard lens. My older noctilux is used for a different look but not necessarily just for portraits and its crazy expensive now.

I have the 45mm f/1.8 as well and like it too. I think you would be happy with the 45mm.
  4. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
  5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yup.. the collapsible summicron is the same optical design as the 1950s rigid summicron I was referring to. I just wanted to note that with collapsible's you should be careful on adapted cameras. I'm not sure about micro 4 3 but on some cameras the collapsible goes too far into the camera and can cause damage. Some use tape on the lens barrel to prevent accidental collapsing of the lens.

Other's that just come to mind that I like: 50mm Summarit f/1.5 but it is rare. Canon 50mm f/1.9 Serenar in LTM.
  6. trip35

trip35 New to Mu-43

Nov 13, 2011
    ...and not to forget the Zeiss ZM Sonnar 50mm f/1.5. This is a revival of an original 20's lens design and it is indeed able to produce the typical vintage look (also referred to as the "Zeiss glow") when used wide open.
    I do own one besides my m.Zuiko 45mm and I think they both deserve to live in my bag side by side. Each of them contributes its own image characteristics and, what is also worth mentioning, each of these lenses brings its own photography experience: they are both fun to use, but the touch and the handling is quite different. Sometimes it feels lke just another way to look at the same things.

7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    +1 ....... Don't waste your money.
  8. campbellcj

campbellcj Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    I've got the CV 40mm f/1.4 SC as well as the Zeiss 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar which should both have that classic low-contrast look and work great for B&W in particular. I will be trying both on my OM-D shortly (just got it).

That being said, I am not great at manual focusing and the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is my micro 4/3rds lens of choice 90% of the time. If a black version of the 45mm f/1.8 comes out then I will seriously consider that.
  9. billy_pilgrim

billy_pilgrim Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    Consider some of the Soviet rangefinder lenses instead. Several of these are copies of Zeiss lenses from the same era. Jupiter 3, Jupiter 8, or the Industar 61, all are worth a look.
  10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    You might also consider screw mount Leicas. This is the Summaron 35/2.8 at f/4 I think. It was also available in M mount with "eyes". the eyes can be removed. The Elmar 50/3.5 also has a very vintage look.

Summicron 50/2 from the 70's. One of the least desirable ones I think. I don't know why.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. wetterberg

wetterberg Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2012
    I agree. I've fallen in love with the Jupiter8 recently, and it shot by far the best portraits I've ever done. Well worth a look.

Apparently the older Jupiter 8s can get a little "loose", which means they wobble a tiny bit, making for less smooth operation.

Do get a lens hood for it, though - it will flare a bit in bright sunlight.