Leica M 60 sets a new standard

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by thegimprider, Jun 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegimprider

thegimprider Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2016
    Douglas Coulter
    I hope that Micro Four Third manufactures take note of this. A full manual camera that shoots only Raw and does not have an LCD
    Purist photography revival, to choose Aperture, shutter speed, and ISO with a range finder focus system. It would require adapting current lenses with aperture dial but that should not be too cost prohibitive. I would be more than happy to pay $2,000.00 for an Olympus body built upon this concept. $18,000.00 for the Leica and they only plan to sell 600 of so.
    I asked Nikon for this design ten years ago and they said no. (a full frame digital FM with no LCD or automatic functions) So I moved away from Nikon and went Olympus 4/3rd.
    Battery life would be amazing and a plug in LCD could be an accessory. A hot shoe and mechanical self time would make my inner luddite so happy

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    You're dreaming man... never in a million years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    There is exactly 0 reasons not to have an LCD.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Do realize that the M60 was released back in 2014 and aims at a niche product.... something that Olympus cannot feasibly do. They need to sell to a larger consumer market.

5. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    Save a bundle, buy something analoge... ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    ROFLMAO, so you switched to the system that will never make something like that? Better chance of Nikon making one then Olympus.

My next question is why? No desire to go back to the stone age. If I want that I will shoot with my film camera and scan my negatives into my computer like I did before 2003 when I got my first digital SLR.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    My Pen F is set up this way. With the LCD flipped around, it's like it isn't even there :).

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You only have to use the knobs and features you want. Put everything in manual, turn off shot review and have fun. I just saved you $15000

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 5
  9. thegimprider

Jun 12, 2016
    Douglas Coulter
    I will be building my own luddite camera with a Mamiya 6x9 back and a Hasselblad SWC lens all scavenged from used parts. A hand carved body and machined lens mount. Hand held light meter. I have seen a few of these ideas built by machine shops. But $15-25.00 per roll to develop is the only reason I switched to digital. I love Velvia 120 film.
    Yes I'm glad to own a PL-7 and the pro lenses compete with any on the market but I don't like buttons and menus everywhere. Samsung NV-7 was more to my liking with buttons that did not get in the way. The PL-1 I was often hitting the video button. These cameras keep getting smaller and more buttons getting in the way.
    I bought the Nikon F-3 when it first came out in Japan and within a year I went back to the FM which I carried for over 30 years. I bought the Mamiya 645 system fully manual camera in 1998.
    I doubt I'm not the only one who wants a fully manual digital camera without the bulk of pro medium format. Just like gardening, a chance to go out and get my hands dirty without the expense of film.

10. thegimprider

Jun 12, 2016
    Douglas Coulter
    The only reason a professional photographer needs an LCD is to verify images are being recorded. Other than that a skilled shooter should already know what the image will look like if they paid attention to light and movement, choosing settings according. I don't own a cell phone either but some people cannot breath without one.

• Like Like x 1
  11. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Name me a photographer who doesn't a) use LCD view on a tripod, b) check results AT ALL when in the field, or c) want a screen with a menu system that, I dunno, lets him/her set up a bracket, or change aspect ratio, or switch IS on or off, or... gosh, do I need to recite the menus by heart?

Literally 0 reasons to leave off the LCD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Unless you only ever shoot at eye level, a tilting LCD is far better for work on a tripod.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Why stop there? Find some old 256MB SD cards so that you can only take 24 exposures before having to put in a new one.

Some love the process of photography. I love the result and will use all the available tools to achieve it.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I love the process too, and our cameras are great tools now, and pleasant to use. I get tired of hearing luddites who have some completely impractical concession to old tech, something that intentionally hamstrings the basis of the modern tech you're using, and somehow these folks get away with acting like they like "pure" photography "process" better than I do. Baloney!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

and some love to make their life life unnecessarily difficult for no reason at all... Might as well get a cat-o-nine tails and start whipping yourself too... :coco: :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. thegimprider

Jun 12, 2016
    Douglas Coulter
    If an artist disagrees with you why feel the need for personal attacks.
    A very simple concept here and Leica built it. I'm asking someone to build a less expensive version.
    If that offends you please troll on another page. I don't produce art for your pleasure, it is for my own.

17. thegimprider

Jun 12, 2016
    Douglas Coulter
    Oh and I do have a stack of 512 CF cards that cost far more than my 8 gb SD cards today. Digital is getting really good and prices are coming down. Now is the perfect time to fill those niche markets.

18. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't care how people want to use their cameras, I just don't get the complaints. There are many cameras with full external controls. Those can be used exactly like an analog camera or the Leica M 60.

I mean check out this LX100:

Panasonic-Lumix-LX100-product-shot-2.

Aperture dial, shutter speed dial, exposure comp dial, manual focus ring. (ISO can be changed by a quick button press, but a purist would only do that before leaving for the day! :))

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    :) I can understand the sentiment. But really m43 might be the worst system to build such a camera on, and Leica's might be one of the best. m43 lenses are all completely electronic with no true manual controls. Only a select few have aperture controls (not sure how you envisioned fixing this). How can you focus with a range finder focus with focus by wire lenses. Unless you mean with a EVF. But by the time you have an EVF, then you basically have a m43 camera with the back LCD taped over. Here's my solution. Get a EM5, flip the screen, set the mode to M and then pop off the dial, turn off auto-review, turn on the "make your EVF look like a rangefinder" mode, then tape over all the menu buttons. Easy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Is this part of the purist revival? I'm really not understanding the logic to this suggestion. If I was to be a "digital purist", an oxymoron if I may say so, why would I want this accessory? Wouldn't I just wait until my images were uploaded? I guess I was expecting a bit more consistency from a purist philosophy, but as always, YMMV.

--Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.