1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Leica for Nokton?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by JDK504, Jun 2, 2015.

1. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I have the Panny 25 1.4 and 42.5 Nocticron. I have been thinking of selling both and getting the 25 & 42.5 Noktons.

I shoot video and pix. I had a G3 and the ois was a big selling point for the Nocticron. I recently upgraded to EM5 II and the 5 axis is amazing!

I love the vintage look the Noktons give. I feel the Pannys give a mix of old world married with a modern touch.

My photo/video use is mainly family (kids, 9 months and 4 y/o). I used to have a vintage Takumar 50mm 1.4 so I am familiar with MF as I use MF quite a bit on my Panny lenses. Focus by wire is ok but not the real thing. Also the 42.5 had quite a bit of throw.

I have read and compared all the articles on here and on the web.

Am I crazy? Your thoughts?

2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    If you spend the majority of time manual focussing, it would definitely be a reason. However, by all accounts, the PL42.5/1.2 is one of those rare magical lenses. I would be more inclined to switch out the 25 and see how that goes for you before committing to both and regretting the decision later. Sometimes we take things for granted in life, in this case AF, and not having something when we want/need it most is when we realize it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Thank you for your response. I agree with you and have thought about starting with the 25 switch. The 25 1.4 is a great lens. I have captured many great pix/video with it. I do love having the AF. The Nocticron is very magical. I just wanted to hear opinions from others with either set of lenses or have made the switch going from either set to the other.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You have kids? Keep the AF!

If you want to spend some money, add the Leica 15mm. If you like the other two, you'll also really like this one. It's great indoors or for getting in close and showing some environment around the kiddos.

5. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I have the CV25, and find that it has taken the back seat to the CV17.5. I like the CV25 best for portraits, and have tried the CV42.5 and will probably get that if I find a good deal. I tried the PL42.5, and prefer the CV42.5. Most of my lens are MF though, and I like the process of MF. If I want AF, I'd get the Oly 12-40 before the PL 42.5.

6. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013

Lol I have thought about picking that up but it's a little pricey now. Maybe in the distant future. I had the Oly 17 thought it was great but it missed focused a bit. Also how is the 15 in low light? The 25/42.5 are superb however the 17 1.8 was ok. It would hunt slot. Nowhere near the quality of the latter.

7. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I to like the 17.5 as well. I thought about picking that up as well. I do a lot of indoor shooting. I think the 2.8 would be a bit slow to catch the action

8. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    What do you photograph/video? Kids? Action shots?

9. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Just to add, I too am intrigued by the Voigtlander trio, although for me, the 17.5 and 25 are of more interest. The 42.5, not as much due to the PL42.5/1.2 being as great as it is. Due to price, I couldn't justify owning both the PL and CV.

Having said that, for myself, they would not be a replacement but rather an addition to, for the times I need the extra 2 stops of light gathering and/or want to shoot hyperfocal.

10. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I'm with you. I can't justify having another set of lenses for MF or extra stops for low light. Hmmm this hard, what to do?

11. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    Landscapes, street, and documentary is what I tend to shoot the most. You can see my work at walter.joseph780@gmail.com on google plus. The 17.5 is great indoors, and perhaps the best in the blue hour/evening on the street. When I travel, the 17.5 is the one I tend to leave on for the entire trip.

12. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Anyone on here with Noktons take photos of young kids? I'm wondering how much I'll miss AF if at all.

13. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Just a quick question here. When using the Nokton I know the contacts don't work. Is it like using a vintage lens? Do I have to shoot in full Manual mode or A, P, etc?
    Is the ISO able to be in auto or do I have to set that as well? I figured since this lens is a native lens somethings would work, thoughts?

14. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    It's the same as a vintage lens. I mostly use A, but all others work too (on my EM-5). Just no AF, and set the aperture manually. To help focus on the Em-5 I have screen magnification assigned to a function key. Press function to magnify, and again to turn off magnification. It's difficult to focus on things moving in/out of focus Mind you some of my AF lens have the same issue. AF doesn't work in low light either.

15. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Ok great that is what I figured. I just didn't want to fuss with setting ISO then aperature, etc - seems like things just add up. Im sure focusing wont be that hard with the focus peaking on my em5 II.
    Moving subjects with MF isn't too tough half of the time if you can zone focus or guess where things will end up at. I use my MF for my nocticron as you stated the AF doesn't always hit all the time.

Thank you for the swift reply!

16. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Another thought.

I would also consider the SLR Magic 25mm / T095. It is on sale frequently. Some reviewers like it better than the Nokton. I own the SLR Magic (not the Nokton) and have been impressed by the look that it gives. These go new for less than $600 now and then.

17. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I don't want to sound rude or crude and I appreciate your thought about the SLR Magic, but Steve Huff gave a not so glowing review about it. How do you like yours? Have you used yours and used the Noktons for a comparison?

18. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Anyone know if version I and version II of the 25 are the exact same with the exception of the clickelss aperture in version II? I have read that II is slightly sharper but could not find any concrete evidence.

19. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA

Unfortunately I have not used the Nokton's at all. I find the lens OK to use. shooting wide open at some conditions does cause some purple fringing (on small light points especially). Overall, I like the lens and shoot it close to wide open. I have not looked at reviews since I bought it but when I did, I found several favorable reviews with a direct comparison to the Nokton.

I just threw it out there for you to consider. Maybe check a few more reviews for a 2nd opinion to confirm Steve Huff's impression.

I saw some notes like this.

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic...vs-voigtlander-25mm-f095-the-exclusive-fight/

and this

http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=137&catid=40&Itemid=2

20. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I think that the issue with SLR Magic's is that they are cine lenses and not general photography lenses. The Voigtlanders are general photography lenses that can be adapted to video use.