1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Leica DG 25mm Summilux In Stock for $539 at B&H Photo

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    B&H has the Panasonic Leica DG 25mm Summilux lens in stock (in limited quantity per our B&H contact).

Direct link: Panasonic Leica 25mm DG Summilux lens at B&H

The above link contains our affiliate code. Your price is unaffected, and a referral fee (2-4% of your purchase) is paid to us by the retailer. Please note: For us to get credit for the referral, you must click our link prior to placing any items in your "shopping cart".

• Like Like x 2
  2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Hrm, so if I can wait it out a few more months, will this go under $500? heh

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Probably. It's already $449 (free shipping) via Panasonic EPP

4. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Damnit, this is a little heartbreaking. I almost never pay retail, but I thought this was the one lens that wouldn't budge in price.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    When the price first dropped, I was on my 32nd day from my purchase of the PL25 from Adorama. My feeling was "doh!!!" But heck, I got some nice photos with it for the past month or so already, including in my sis-in-law's wedding. Can't put a dollar figure on those.

For those who don't have the PL25 yet, and want something a little better and faster than the 20/1.7, I'm happy that y'all are getting a better price! Just remember to use MU43's affiliate link!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just ordered the lens last week, but it's such a hassle to return plus once you figure shipping cost in, I'll only be saving $40 or so. Only if I had waited!

7. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the perspective. I have an EPP account, so the $110 price break (after tax) was REALLY bothering me. I am also just over the 30 day mark. Lol, I even stopped doing work at work because I was so pissed...

I guess I can think of it like I payed $110 for nice vacation pictures.

8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    yeah, but then you play the will i or won't i get it in the next 6 months game =)

9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    you have both the 20 and 25, right? any comments between the two?

10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Luckily it was shipped same day I ordered it. Very surprised at Panasonic

11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    It appears as though there has been a slow but steady stream of people getting onto the PL25 in the last few weeks. Which is great, it'll be exciting to see the PL25 Summilux image thread expand and grow.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Pretty much as what most folks have said. PL25 is slightly sharper wide open than the 20/1.7, nicer bokeh, and faster AF. But the PL25 also rattlesnakes with some Oly cameras in bright light conditions, it's relatively more expensive, and it's twice the size and weight of the 20.

The biggest reason for me to keep the PL25 is the difference between shooting at about ISO1000 vs. ISO1600 in low light conditions. I try to keep the ISO at no more than 1600 on my GF2. So the 1.4 vs. 1.7 helps in that department. If I was still using my GH2 (which dad now has), the 1.4 vs. 1.7 wouldn't be as much of a big deal.

If I could only have one lens for a m4/3 camera, I'd probably choose the 20/1.7, because of its versatility, size, weight, and relative performance. Thankfully, I don't have to choose! Hope it helps.

13. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    every bit helps, heh. I think i'm just torn on whether or not the AF performance is worth having both because there's no way I could get rid of my 20/1.7. That vs buying some monolights finally, too, heh.

14. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    IMO, the AF performance on my GF2 between the 20/1.7 vs. PL25 is not as obvious as between the 20/1.7 vs. 14/2.5. The 14/2.5 is superfast and nearly silent.

15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I didn't notice difference in AF with E-PL2 either (25 vs 20). It is faster on E-PM1 but 14 is still noticeably faster especially in low light. Haven't tested continous video AF yet

16. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    By the way I just read this review of PL25: Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f1.4 ASPH. (H-X025) Lens, digital cameras, digital photography, photography, digital slr, camera recommendation, price comparison, photographic companies, camera companies, digital camera best prices,

Autofocusing is driven by a micromotor, which is relatively old technology and neither as fast nor as quiet as ultrasonic AF drives, although the DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 is slightly quicker and quieter than the 20mm lens.

They found it only slightly faster than 20mm when mounted on G3 body which is exactly my experience with E-PM1 (and no difference on E-PL2).

17. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    well damn, thanks for all that feedback. Honestly, that was my biggest plus. However, continuous af mode also might be beneficial, followed by the extra half stop.

I was kinda hoping it'd be like the 12/2. That thing surprised the daylight out of me on my GF1

18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    So you don't find it a big step up on the E-PM1?

I'm curious because on my E-PM1, the difference between the 20 and the kit 14-42 is surprising (and not in a good way). I was hoping the 25 would be closer to the 14-42 than the 20...

DH

19. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    25mm is closer to 20mm in focusing speed on E-PM1 in low light at least, haven't done much testing in daylight yet. I'm returning the lens cause of extremely noisy aperture blades adjustments. It's somehow worse on E-PL2. IMO, it's totally unacceptable, all my other lenses are silent. I didn't realize the magnitude of this problem on Oly bodies prior ordering. 20mm is mute in comparison.

20. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Okay, thanks for the heads up. Back to the drawing board then for me. Cheers,

DH