1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Leica D summilux 25mm(FT) or Leica DG Summilux 25mm (mft(

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by m43renegade, Dec 7, 2015.

1. m43renegade

m43renegade Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Rey
    Planning to cure my GAS with this prime. But im unsure which version to get.

Some say the Leica D Summilux (FT version) is better than the mft version in terms of IQ especially on bokeh and smoother rendering. I also appreciate the aperture ring.. my question is, is it fast enough in terms of AF especially on low light situations? Im sure the mft version will be faster as it was made for mft cameras.

I will be using it with my e-m1. I already have the mount adapter since im using ft lenses

regards

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  2. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I don't know because like (I assume) most people on this forum, I've never had the FT version. I'm told it was very good though and it will be interesting following this thread.

3. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    You can see some comparison comments here: Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 ASPH lens [Gary Ayton's photography wiki]

The author says 4/3 version has an aperture ring and is "larger, heavier, more expensive but sharper wide open with less vignetting but more CA"

ephotozine.com review says m4/3 version is:
    • a little less sharp wide open, especially in the corners
    • sharpest at f/2.8-5.6 (unlike the Panasonic Leica-D Summilux 25mm f/1.4 lens for Four Thirds which is extremely sharp wide open and sharpest at f/2.0)
    • minimal CA - better than the the Panasonic Leica-D Summilux 25mm f/1.4 lens for Four Thirds
    • 1.8EV vignetting wide open - worse than the the Panasonic Leica-D Summilux 25mm f/1.4 lens for Four Thirds
    • minimal barrel distortion (0.5%) - same as the the Panasonic Leica-D Summilux 25mm f/1.4 lens for Four Thirds

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  4. m43renegade

m43renegade Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Rey
    @bigboysdad@bigboysdad, lets hope existing Leica D summilux users can share their experiences with this lens.

thanks @Gary5@Gary5, IMO CAs can be dealt with post processing. sharpness cant be. i lean towards the FT model. i like it heavier as it adds stability. i also appreciate the aperture ring but will it work on the E-M1?

lastly, i hope anyone can answer the AF question on the FT model. as it is the only reason im hesitant right now

• Agree Agree x 1