1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

[EXPIRED] Leica D Summilux 25mm F1.4 (4/3 lens)

Discussion in 'Expired Listings' started by Howi, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    I have for sale a Leica D Summilux 25mm f1.4.
    This is the 4/3 lens from Panasonic and is NOT to be confused with the inferior m43 lens which has the designation Leica DG Summilux 25mm F1.4.HOWEVER it can be used on m43 camera bodies with the 4/3 to m43 adaptor, Panasonic or Olympus.
    This lens, like the Panaleica 14-50 F2.8 that came with the L1, has an aperture ring, rather like the old 35mm SLR lenses, but is electronic rather than mechanical in operation.
    This allows you to set the aperture directly on the lens without having to navigate menus etc. and has an A (Auto) setting.
    A point to note – The aperture ring ONLY works on Panasonic camera bodies (4/3 and m43), NOT on Olympus bodies – here you have to set the aperture ring to A and use the normal menu selection for aperture.

I have inspected the lens as closely as I can, but can find no scuffs, marks or dings on the lens or lens hood.
    There are NO marks on the front or rear glass elements.
    I can safely say this lens is in ‘as new’ condition.

It comes complete with original lens hood and front and rear covers but no box.

I have had no ‘front’ or ‘back’ focusing issues whilst using this lens.

I have used this lens on the following cameras, Olympus E-3, Panasonic L1 and Panasonic GF1 (m43) via the 4/3 to m43 adaptor, with no problems at all.

This lens is currently priced @ £800 - £900 depending where you look (and whether they have any stock)
    It is NOT the same as the m43 DG version, this is about half the price.

This is a superb example of a much sort after and prized lens.
    There are plenty of reviews of this lens on the Internet that show that the lens is incredibly sharp between F1.8 and F4 peaking at F2 to F2.8.
    It is also very sharp at its maximum aperture of F1.4, which explains why it is so expensive.

I am pricing the lens @ £499 but feel free to make an offer (note – silly offers will get no reply)
    The lens will be posted RMSD in the UK.
    It is intended to be a UK only sale, unless you can convince me otherwise.
    The photographs of the actual item for sale (taken on my GF1) can be seen on the Fourthirdsuser forum

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Inferior PL25 mm 1.4? Who told u that sir?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  3. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    For a start the DG m43 variant is half the price, that has to be for a reason does it not.
    Compare the reviews and you will see which is better.
    I'm not putting down the m43 lens, as it's a very good performer, It just isn't as good as the 4/3 version.
    This applies to all of the m43 lenses when compared to the lenses available on 4/3, it's not that they are poor in any way shape or form, just not as good as the 4/3 range.
    Compare the latest 12-50 to the 14-54 or 12-60.
    The same goes for the m43 variant of the 7-14 etc
    There are no really bad lenses, it's just that they could be better....

My opinion only of course. :smile: :43::thumbup:

4. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

To answer your question, It does not. At least not speaking to image quality.
    By the way, new it is not selling for twice the price of the DG µ4/3 version, but only less than 300 dollars more. The reason the PL 25 for µ4/3 is so much cheaper, and just recently doped again in price has to do with manufacturing costs of a smaller lens as well as high volume production run as well. Also manufacturing technology getting better 4 years later might have something to do with it. Lets not forget that the 4/3 version had the added expense of designing and building in to it the Aperture ring, something Leica Had to do at the time because of the Panasonic L1 and Leica Digilux 3 required it to have one.

Good luck with your sale :thumbup:

5. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

0   0   0

Mar 28, 2012
    Big toss-up between functionality, cost and performance

Photozone.de has some tests on both lenses, hard to do a direct comparison because their testing methods changed between the lenses. But gives you a better idea of what to expect.

6. KVG

KVG Banned User

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Guys this is a market place listing Howi is stating his opinion in the listing and unless your an interested buyer this isn't a discussion forum as per marketplace rules.

"10) Stay on topic.

It's okay to bump a listing with a good price or to post some good feedback about a seller, but general discussion of the gear (eg, "Why are you selling? Don't you like that lens?") does not belong in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum."

Please delete your posts and give the guy a break:2thumbs:

Flame suit on,
    Kelly

7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

0   0   0

Wow... just wow... I would consider it if I still had the Panny L1. I only had it a short time. Good luck.