1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Leica 50mm f/2 Summicron R

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by kevinparis, Mar 13, 2010.

1. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Okay this is the only leica lens I actually own... cost less that 150 euros at a photofair last year

3622905072_cb36631107_b.

2. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    These are great samples of how this lens renders. Reminds me of the Zeiss 2/50 Planar. I really like the chain photograph.

4. jesse

jesse Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    Hong Kong
    Very nice photo

5. stickan1

stickan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    Sweden
    Beautiful! I have been reading different Leica Forums the last months and also looked at the M9 in a shop several times. But yesterday I decided to keep away from the M9, but I may try to find some Leica lenses and your photographs just reinforces that. There is something special! But the price and problems with the M9 just does not seem to be worth it so I will stay with my GF1.

6. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I've been looking at the price of the Leica lenses lately but am a bit confused over which ones will work. Do the M and R lenses work, also the adapters seem quite expensive. Is the 50mm Summicron 100mm equivalent or just 50mm? I'm looking for that perfect prime and still trying to discover which focal length I use the most before I part with any cash!

7. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Confession here is that those shots were taken on a 4/3 camera - Oly E-510 - but sensor size and caracteristics are pretty much the same on a E-P1

I have a Leica R to 4/3 adapter from ebay seller Jinfinance - his prices are reasonable. I also have a 4/3 to micro4/3 adaptor so i could easily put it on the E-P1

The M and R lenses are two completely different systems - the M lenses are for the rangefinder cameras and tend to be smaller, and are still manufactured. You can mount M lenses on micro 4/3 cameras with an adaptor - there are expensive versions and less expensive versions of these - they all do the same job - the expensive ones are probably better made , but in truth probably are priced higher becuase they can - Leica owners tend not to be cost concious :)

The R lenses were for the now discontinued Leica SLR and are generally highly regarded, though not as collectible as the M lenses. Many people now use them on Canon cameras.

I think I paid about 140 euros for this lens

A 50mm lens is always a 50mm lens - but on 4/3/micro 4/3 the effective field of view is the same as a 100mm lens on a fullframe 35mm camera.

Just to add another layer of complexity - the depth of field is doubled as well - so a 50mm/2 lens on a 4/3 camera captures light like a 100mm/2, but has the equivalent depth of field of a 100mm/4

hope this helps

K

• Like Like x 3
  8. Christilou

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    Hmm, food for thought. I thought the R range would be for the rangefinders, good job I asked you! Just to clarify, the 50mm Leica would be in the same range as the 50mm f2 zuiko ?

9. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I think the R stands for Reflex as in Single Lens Reflex.

Yes a 50mm lens will give the same field of view regardless of the original lens manufacturer. On a 4/3 this will give a mild telephoto effect.

Currently there is no micro 4/3 equivalent of what us old folks would think of a standard prime lens. The nearest is the Pana 20/1.7 which is like 40mm in old money. Olympus do do a 25/2.8 for the bigger 4/3 cameras.

The nearest i have to a 'normal' lens on my E-P1 is an old OM Zuiko 24/2, which is rather nice

There actually three ranges/mount types for Leica lenses

There are the original screw mount lenses - made between 1930 and sometime in the 50's - The are sometimes referred to as LTM ( Leica Thread Mount) or M39 (a 39m thread). Voightlander I think still make some lenses in this mount, and there were many others in the past - including some Russian copies of prewar lens designs

The M series - which uses a bayonet (twist and click) mount - these appeared in the 50's and continue until today. Voightlander and Zeiss also make lenses in this mount

The R series appeared in the early 60's and was finally discontinued last year - these were for the Leicaflex and R series cameras. They use a different bayonet mount, which has several sub variations (2 Cam, 3 Cam) that are only relevant if you are using them on a Leica SLR

Leica also have a naming convention for their lenses regardless of mount that relate to the speed of the lens

Noctilux = f1.0 or less
    Summilux = f1.4
    Summicron = f2.0
    Elmarit= f2.8

There are some variations on this convention, but it is a good guideline

Hope this helps

K

• Like Like x 2
  10. Christilou

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    Thank you so much Kevin, you are a mine of information :)

11. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hi,

Still trying to figure out how to upload photos, so I might as well start here. The Summicron is still one of my favorite lenses and has a bit of sentimental value attached to it as well. Here are a few attempts with it, all with a G1:

Old house outside Philadelphia

In a Japanese store

This one was an accident, I had accidentally switched the white balance but I somehow like how this one came out, taken somewhere in Taipei.

P1050111.

One more in Taipei - a bit busy but it captures the street scene in a crazy busy shopping area IMHO.

P1050098.

Stefan

• Like Like x 2
  12. just4fun

just4fun Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2010
    Thanks Kevin for the helpful information,
    I just bought a "Summaron" (35mm f/2.8) - what about it? you haven't mention it. It's a M Mount and without a google.
    Thanks
    Sonny

13. just4fun

just4fun Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2010
    Just want to add a picture of the Lens in my question:
    Thanks
    Edit: I don't know if this picture is OT, please apology if it is... I can open a new topic with that lens if anybody interested.
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  14. jonima

jonima Mu-43 Regular

Leica 50mm f/2 Summicron R Image Thread

Some pics of Fruit with the Summicron 50mm f/2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Johan

• Like Like x 1
  15. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran