Leica 43.5/1.2 Hands On

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by gsciorio, Nov 16, 2013.

1. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Hey everyone! Just got my hands on the new Leica. I'll be inside the Lumix Labs here in Jersey Monday.

If you come to my Workshop tomorrow at Unique Photo you'll get a hands on.

More pics at SmallCameraBigPicture

PHOTO REMOVED

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 4
  2. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    Giulio, I'm going to go ahead and be the first and just get it done. Have you ever used the lens yet? What have you heard other than "expensive"?

3. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    Any word on lens hood for those that care ?

4. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Good idea about the hood. Ask tomorrow, we'll have a VERY special guest. :)

5. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Got snaps on SmallCameraBigPicture

6. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Is this still a prototype or is it a production model? Release date?

Sent from my Samsung Note II via mu-43 app.

7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just curious... is the lab in Jersey located in Allendale?

Sent from mobile.... excuse my typos

8. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    It looks to be almost the production model, without the black tapes and all that..

9. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    How does the size and weight compare with the Olympus 75/1.8? It looks to be similar in size. This will be a tough sell for me, the O45 is just so good for being such a tiny lens.

10. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    Wow, it's HUGE on GX7. Looks like it's going to look huge on most of the m43 bodies.

11. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I was actually impressed with how small it is for a 1.2. remember 1.2 is ALOT faster then 1.8, the canon 85 1.2 L is called The Keg for a reason.

12. dphotog

dphotog Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    It maybe alot faster not that Olympic plans to ever make a 1.2 fast 42.5mm their 1.8 is undeniably tiny in comparison. I'm still anxious on knowing when and how much...All facts so far lead toward something extremely expensive. I still hope it's in the range of at least half the cost to its FF counter part.

13. Dramaturg

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    True, but doesn't sensor size matter? Wasn't the size of the whole system (bodies and lenses alike) one of the reasons we all started using it? Interesting, but in the past Olympus was saying that micro four thirds sensor size is the best compromise as it actually allows you to produce much smaller lenses, while retaining great image quality. Well it seems that when it came to making some faster glass they quit holding that position. I mean look at the Leica 42,5 + GX7 combo - the barrel of the lens sticks out of the camera edges! Perhaps it is going to look better on E-M1, but still, I didn't realize the lens is going to be that HUGE.

14. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    What picture are you referring to? The one on Gulio's site (next to the Guiness) is the ridiculously tiny GM-1, certainly not the GX7. And yes, it overhangs. Look at the size difference between a canon 85 1.8 and 85 1.2. Huge. This lens is big for MFT but compact in absolute terms, for what it is.

• Like Like x 1
  15. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Sure small size is one of the reasons. But it's not the only reason. The laws of physics and the primitive state of optical design, compared to the Klingons, mean that some things can only be so small. And the overall system will still be much smaller than the equivalent 35mm (or even APSC) system. For whay it (hopefully) does I think it's positively petite.

It's not like the smaller options are going away. You can still put a 45 1.8 on a GM1 if you want. It's knd of like what the D3 and D700 were in Nikon land. A larger and smaller alternative with minor differences that may or may not matter to different folks. Except we're getting smaller and positively mini as our choices.

And choice, I think, is a good thing.

Gordon

• Like Like x 2
  16. Dramaturg

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    Gordon, thank you for your input. But don't you think that comparing SLR size lenses with mirrorless ones (which should be from "rangefinders" camp) is somewhat missleading? The rangefinder 50mm 1.2 lenses were much smaller than their SLR brothers due to many reasons (one of them being the distance to the film). Yes, they all were manual focuses lenses. But is it the autofocus alone that makes this 42,5 lens so huge? I am just trying to understand why something that had such a great beginning (micro four thirds system with lots of rangefinder size lenses - all zuiko primes are acutally rangefinder primes' size) is actually growing to the point of SLR size. Big lenses require big bodies. That's why I'd be pretty comfortable with Canon 85 1.2 on a Mark III body, while having 42,5 1.2 with my tiny OM-D would simply destroy the whole idea. Just my thoughts. Kind of trying to understand the philosophy behind all of these.

17. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    42.5 on a GX7
    [​IMG]

18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you guys want a small 1.2, get a Nikon 32mm 1.2 for the Nikon 1 system! Seriously, these lenses are small for what they are.

19. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    50mm 1.2 and 85mm 1.2 on 5DmkIII? That is like a joke sizewise! You didn't have hold the 42.5mm 1.2 with GX7 yet and you talk about those bigas slr combos! This is nowhere near comparable.
    Size is big because it's 1.2 with autofocus, I don't get what not to understand. Seeing the worlwide impatience about this lens, I'd say Pana did a homerun once again with their roadmap, and are bringing the goods while it's hot.

So this thread has no sample image to show???

• Like Like x 1
  20. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    When I read "hands on", I was expecting some sort of report on the lens. It's just some pictures (which I do appreciate), but I was hoping for first hand user accounts.

• Like Like x 2