Leica 25mm f/1.4 vs. Nikon 35/1.8 DX + Speed Booster

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by brianc1959, Sep 15, 2013.

1. brianc1959

brianc1959 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    Brian Caldwell
    Although the Nikon 35/1.8 + Speed Booster = 25mm f/1.2 combination isn't as compact as the Leica/Panasonic 25/1.4, you do gain 1/3 stop of speed and the corners are actually sharper. In the test chart image image below both lenses are shot wide open (f/1.2 and f/1.4, respectively).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Nice comparison. I will definitely consider using a Speed Booster if/when (a) they release one with AF, which there was talk of for Nikon -> :43:, and (b) I have a body with effective on-sensor PDAF. For what I do, AF is too important.

3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Thanks Brian for this. I have already been looking for a cheap copy of the 35mm f1.8. Leaning towards the Voigtlander 40mm f2 for leveraging the compact nature of both my E-PM2, and the Metabones adapter itself.

Oh - and hurry up with the Konica Speedbooster adapter (yeah I know - its not you, but Metabones that has to make the decision) :biggrin:

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    OTOH, by the time you add up the cost of the speed booster + lens, you've probably spent more than you would for the native lens, and you still don't have AF, and are limited in your exposure modes.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Heck it's less than $200 USD new!

6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    For sure. A Metabones Speedbooster is close to the same price as the Leica 25mm (at least here in Australia). However once you have a few Nikon mount lenses, it suddenly gets alot more interesting. For example, how would the Nikon 105mm f2.5 ai(s) with a Speedbooster compare to the Olympus 75mm f1.8? I would wager the Oly would win, but it would be a close race, and the 105mm f2.5 is rather cheap these days. In fact the Speedbooster + 105mm in good condition would be about the same price as the Oly. A $250 Nikon 180mm f2.8 ED with a speed booster? Might even give the hypothetical $3000 150mm f2.8 a half decent race :thumbup:

Not sure I understand your reference to exposure modes?

lol - fair point. Here in Australia... about $AU180 to $AU230 - 2nd hand to new prices. Not too far of yours.

7. brianc1959

brianc1959 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    Brian Caldwell
    I recently tried out a copy of the Olympus 75/1.8 just to do this very comparison. Basically, you are correct, as can be seen below. The Olympus lens is slightly better at f/1.8 than the Nikon 105/2.5 + SB at f/1.8. The difference appears entirely due to the extensive use of ED glass in the Olympus, and as a result it avoids the slight purple fringing seen in the Nikon. At f/2.8 its very difficult to tell the two lenses apart.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  8. brianc1959

brianc1959 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    Brian Caldwell
    True enough, especially if the Leica 25/1.4 will be your only lens for this format. But to be fair, there is no "native" 25mm f/1.2 lens for m4/3.

9. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Thanks very much for doing that test. That explains a few things with my 105mm + SB combo ie. very crispy results.

10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    No, but there is a 25/.95

Fred

11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very nice comparisons! Hope you can post up more results from various lenses.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.