1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux for Micro 4/3 to Cost $900?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTr6zThRaHthGK7Xmp-bp09Sl3f_B_UwcwK52MSBMYKzUtMqETr43hfMg.
    The current Panasonic Leica 25mm Summilux for regular (non-Micro) Four Thirds

We've been contacted by an anonymous reader who claims to have handled the soon-to-be-released Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux lens for Micro 4/3.

According to our source, the new lens is similar in size to the current Panasonic Leica 45mm f/2.8 Macro but "significantly" heavier than that lens, does not have built-in optical image stabilization, will be introduced at a price "close to $900", and will not be available as part of a kit at the time of introduction.

A prior statement from a Panasonic representative implied that Leica had not approved branding of Micro 4/3 lenses with software corrected optics (hence the Lumix 20 was not Leica branded while the Lumix 45 macro was Leica branded). Software correction of optics help to keep down size and cost with new lens designs. The price and description given by our source seem plausible for a new Leica-branded 25mm f/1.4 lens, although I suspect a $900 price tag will disappoint many potential buyers.

If you have any information regarding this or upcoming product announcements, please let us know (name and email not required).

Rumor Grade: C

Rumor Evidence Grading System:
    A = Proven source, rumor extremely likely to be correct
    B = Good source, rumor likely to be correct
    C = New source, rumor plausible<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

• Like Like x 2
  2. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    Guess I'll hang on to my 4/3 25/1.4.

3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    BH has finally listed the 4/3 PL25.1/4 as "discontinued." That's too bad.

But $900 is a reasonable price for the m4/3 version IF it is going to be as good as the 4/3 version.

Where's the fast 50 from Oly??

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I agree the price doesn't surprise, if it does disappoint. Used, street price will be around $650 in a year or so, but that's a long time to wait.

A fast 50 from Oly could sap some of this potential lenses' interest.

But I'll still wait to see the actual release. Rumors are often wrong, though this one makes sense. The size and weight also makes sense, as 50mm (i.e. PL45) is one of the easier focal lengths to design for. Wide angle FL tend to take more engineering.

5. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    Me too!

6. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

f/1.4 vs f/1.7 ??? really

Is there really a market for a 20mm "alike" lens that is just 1/2 stop faster?

400€ = 20mm f/1.7
    vs
    800€ = 25mm f/1.4

Am I missing something or we will all stick to our loyal 20mm?

... f/1.2 ... humm, 2x more light!?! ...that would probably make me think 2x! :wink:
    That would also place m4/3 on very nice position!

7. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    That's to rich for me... Maybe if it gave the same dof as an equalivalent 50mm 1.4. Otherwise it's not worth the cash if you can get the 20mm 1.7 for a third of the price.

• Like Like x 1
  8. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I've used a 4/3 25mm f/1.4 and a Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 and the one I keep coming back to is the 20mm f/1.7. I'm not sure the extra 1/2 stop and extra weight is going to tempt me. It always seemed an odd choice for Panasonic to come up with this lens rather than some others, particularly as the 20mm exists.

I wonder if they would get more sales from an also much rumoured 12-50mm f2.5(8)-3.5?

That would certainly be the lens I'd like to see.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    If I am spending that much I will go with the voightlander 25/0.95.

• Like Like x 3
  10. ismailfaruqi

ismailfaruqi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    20mm 1.7 for me. Love the sharpness and compactness, nothing better in this range, from any system at any price.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I don't think that it was ever likely a lens like this was going to be a kit lens unless some marketing genius releases a rebadged Panasonic with a red dot at twice the price.

• Like Like x 1
  12. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    Much as I would like this lens, $900 is way too much for me. My Pentax 31 limited cost that much, it's all metal. The 77mm cost $100 less.

13. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Unfortunately the FA31ltd doesn't AF on a m4/3. Nor does the FA77ltd. Wish they did though ... :( I would love to have a FA43ltd that can AF on a m4/3 body.

14. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    That is something that would definitely intrigue me!

I wonder if the shortage of the 20/1.7 is a way to drive people to get the 25/1.4, if and when it is released ... hmmmm ....

15. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    i just wish it would be in stock sometime

• Like Like x 1
  16. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    With you Ron :) We wont ever see the Quality of the Old PL D series
    Its all about cost compactness and software compensation.
    having said that the 20mm Pancake is pretty good but not up to the PL 25/1.4
    :wink:

17. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I'm glad more m43 lenses are coming out. I do hope they do a 1.2 auto lens one day or a wider range of fast pancake lenses. I keep going back to my 20mm because of the IQ and size.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I just don't see how in the he'll you make a marketing justification for this lens. Essentially the same focal length and aperture, larger size, no IS ... And up against one of the most beloved and best performing lenses in the stable ... But 3x the price?

What in the world is supposed to sway me to buy this lens at that price? Fast/quiet AF? Seems a helluva premium to pay ... Bet an off camera mic solution costs less and delivers more performance benefit.

If the bright zoom got delayed for this mess of a project, I'm going to be pissed.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    ... and keep the 20 for street shots.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Singapore
    Me too!